Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 1070 Clutch Replacement

View my Photos
Eric_in_ME
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-03          118845

Anyone here ever replace a worn out clutch on a 70 series JD? Went to use my tractor yesterday and found out I could not shift with engine running. I did try to adjust linkage but could not get any neutral action except in neutral. I thought if the clutch were worn then I would not be engaged, as it is I can't disengage drive with clutch depressed. I can disengage PTO on second clutching action. Am I missing something? If anyone could shed some light on what might be happening please post. I will start going through my repair manuals. Only 550hrs but I bought it off a rental Co. that I think used a Highway sweeper on it. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-03          118858

Eric
It sounds like the clutch plate is rusted to the flywheel. Was the tractor stored outside? You can move the tractor up against an immovable object like a big tree, place it in first or reverse and put your foot on the clutch. With pressure it should break free.
Eric ....

View my Photos
Eric_in_ME

2005-11-03          118871

It is stored under cover but yes outside. I'm not sure I understand but here goes. I have to start it in gear to move it and then I should bump up against somthing solid with gears engaged in first or somthing and should I be pressing on the clutch pedal or somthing.

Won't the tires just spin or should I have the rear tires against something to catch while I have the drive line engaged and (now I'm getting it) clutch depressed. I don't know why the breaks didn't act to do this.

Also I think the clutch needs replacement. I adjusted it once 6 mths ago and barely had enough room to have grab in gear and also have PTO clutching. It's not true independent. Only one adjustment for both clutching actions. Do you think its metal on metal now and that's why it's frozen?

And finally? If I need a new clutch will a moderately handy person be able to accomplish that on a machine like this? ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-03          118879

There is a clutch stack. I am not sure which clutch plate is next to the flywheel on this tractor. The plate can be rusted to the flywheel or the pressure plate.
It is normally better to have it free before you try to take it apart. If it is rusted a lot it can be difficult to dismantle.
You can search the TP for clutch problems we have talked about this problem before.
The 1070 is not too hard to take apart and replace the clutch. Have you replaced a clutch in a car before? Ideally you need beyond what you need for a car is a flat smooth cement floor and a hydraulic jack on wheels. In some ways it is easier than in a car. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-04          118894

Definitely sounds like the clutch disk or disks are stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate of both. What you said about bumping it into a something solid with the cluth pedal fully depressed may break the clutch disk free. BEFORE you try this, see if you can gain access to the clutch assembly via an inspection of cover panel and ensure that one of more of the clutch diaphram fingers is not broken or pivot bolt hardware has fallen out. This can cause the same problem. Once you have the clutch broken free, it is best to store the tractor for any length of time with the spacer block holding the clutch pedal slightly depressed so as to hold the clutch disk, flywheel, and pressure plate apart and unlikely to rust together. ....

View my Photos
Eric_in_ME

2005-11-04          118915

Thanks for all the responses guys, I went up to the woodlot today and tried to break er free. No such luck. I took the farmi winch off, put on the roto-tiller(a nice old kuhn el50 with 3 speed tranny and everthing, I can't help but love that tiller even thought it's rusted to nothing), and tilled the garden under. Still no clutching action. The 1070 has a syncro-mesh trans. . I was able to pop it in and out of gear in rare occurrences but reverse was tough.

Anyway, I guess it's time to get some prices on parts. I'd have no problem with tearing her down but all I have is gravel with an overhead cover. Not a great idea probably. But maybe my only option. I've always worked on her myself, that is, with the JD manuals. I can't really afford to have the professionals do it.

I'll take a look at the manuals for that peek window and try to see what's going on. I won't have time for a few days though; bugs need to be caught and the wind should subside I hope. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-05          118958

I was talking best (to have a concrete and floor jack). I have seen people use a floor jack on a dirt floor. I guess you could lay down a sheet of plywood or something. You don't really need to move back very far. Make sure the front half is blocked well. ....

View my Photos
Eric_in_ME

2005-11-14          119342

I priced out the clutch assembly at $1800. Individual parts could quickly go past this amt if you needed much more than clutch discs and disk springs and pressure plates. The tractor is only worth about $13K. How rediculous is that? Anyway, I guess I won't know exactly what the problems are until I take it down. Are there any places that sell JD parts at better than retail prices. I did a web search but got nowhere. I can only imagine how much it would cost to have JD do the job. They wouldn't give me a price to do it. I figured they had a book with hrs to do this kind of figuring like you'd find in the auto industry. Just venting...

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-14          119343

Just a stab in the dark here, but aren't there places that can rebuild clutch disks and pressure plates? You might have nothing to lose by calling around some. Here in Oregon we have a place called Friction Supply that I think does that sort of work. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-15          119372

$1800 is about right for the clutch assy. part# AM879876 you could probably get about 10% to 15% off of that price from a competitive parts department. If you are going to have to split the tractor, it is usually best to replace as much as you can that is likely to wear or potentially cause problems in the future. You could probably have the clutch assy. refurbished but I would imagine the costs would still not be too much less. Item # 25 is the complete assy. ....

Link:   1070 Clutch Assy.

View my Photos
Eric_in_ME

2005-11-15          119388

2ndHandLion, I would have to agree that if I'm going to do the job. I only want to do it once(although the 2nd time is usually twice as fast) and with costs of just the main clutch disc at $450. the whole assembly is probably the best option for a backyard mechanic like me. I had thought that I would bring in the whole assembly to my Dealer and let the professionals take it down and replace what was needed but on calling I realized they always replace the assembly and therefore don't know much more than I. I ran into this when rebuilding my selective control valve for the loader a year ago. When I asked a question of their tech staff they didn't have any answers as they always just replace the whole thing instead of rebuilding the unit as I did. I'd also consider replacing the bearing assembly too if the price wasn't too steep. Do you have any experience with this part?

As far as refacing the core discs, if I knew what I was doing that would sound like a good option but what I save in JD labor I think I'll put into a new assembly. Call me chicken. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-15          119390

I guess my thoughts would be that the best thing you could do provided you have the gumption, tools, and work area, is to split the tractor and verify exactly what is causing the problem. It could turn out to be something as simple as a pilot bearing siezed on the transmission input shaft. Could be the disk is fine but is just rusted to the flywheel of clutch diaphram plate. You can refurbish, repair, or replace only what is needed and hopefully save some money. This is not an easy job but if you are up to it; you can save a good bit of money. ....

View my Photos
bmocad

2005-11-15          119392

I replaced the clutch on my 870 JD it was not hard to take apart and put back. Put let me caution you that you must set the clutch after you put in the new parts. You need to make a tool to do this. Very important. The tech manual has this info todo the job ....

View my Photos
Eric_in_ME

2005-11-15          119394

Ya, I noticed that there are two tools I may need. The spacer tool you mentioned and a special spindle to put the clutch assembly on. Does somthing get messed up if you don't have that spindle? I may ask the tech at the dealership for a rental if they are willing. Also, the only torque wrench I have is the torq bar type by Sears. Will I need a better instrument than that? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-15          119398

The spindle you refer to is probably a clutch centering tool that is used to line everything up on the same axis as the pilot bearing, and I wouldn't do without. If you're going to all the trouble do it as best you can.

A beam-type torque wrench should be fine if it's big enough to handle the largest torque you need to deliver. Beam type torque wrenches don't go out of calibration like the others, but they have the downside that you have to be able to read the scale while delivering torque. ....

View my Photos
bmocad

2005-11-16          119435

I made both of the tools. You don't need the splines just a
round shaft the same dia. as the inside of spline and step down to the hole in the pressure plate. that centers clutch when you tighten the bolts that hold it together. The entire
setup procedure is in the tech Manual. Other tool sets the
contact points so the clutch grab evenly as you inguage the clutch. Again this is not hard if you unstand how they designed it to work. These tools are just aids to get it much closer on the bench. You can not ajust anything once you install. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login