Go Bottom Go Bottom

Front mounted cub snow thrower on JD

View my Photos
wwiiavfan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-08          165542

I can get a slightly used cub snowthrower off a 7254?? model Cub for a VERY VERY good price (I'm buying whether it works or not), includes lift brackets & cylinder and a short PTO shaft. Wondering what might be involved in adapting it to my 2305 JD. I would imagine JD has some sort of PTO extension from the mid PTO to the front. Anybody know the part numbers for that setup?

Thx,
Ken

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-09          165545

Check that the JD shaft rotates the right way. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-09          165546

Auerbach has a good point, but I suspect it's not an issue since both the Cub and JD are essentially re-badged Japanese tractors anyways.

As for the refit, I've done lot's of "cross brand" retrofits for people, as long as you can use or recreate the mounting setup from the JD, the PTO shaft is a cinch. The 'short shaft' the blower has is likely the inner part of the PTO shaft only. The part you now need will likely be just a standard coupling to go onto the output shaft of your mid-PTO and a hollow section attached to it that goes over the part on the blower. It's not a "Cub" part per se, it will be some standard fittings any farm supply or driveline shop can set you up with.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2009-09-11          165575

I'd think that might be to much blower for the jd. ....

View my Photos
wwiiavfan

2009-09-30          166084

OK, so I've decided to mount the snowblower on the rear and keep my FEL on. Fabbing 3 pt brackets are no prob. This is a 54" front mount blower from a cub, I'm putting on a JD 2305.
So I get the complete blower for $50, and I look at the gear case input shaft. Rats. The input turns the right direction, but it turns approx. 2x the speed of the impeller (set up for 2,000 rpm front shaft). No problem, the case is symmetrical, open it up, and sure enough, I can flip flop the gears. just have to trim down the drain plug boss. OK, get that done, now the input turns 1/2 the speed of the impeller.
Previous owner/user let the yoke run loose & wobbly on the input shaft (1" round smooth), so that's all boogered up. OK, weld that up & turn it down on the lathe at work. Buy a standard 6-spline adapter, slit the side of it and weld on two sleeves with a bolt thru to create a clamp-on male spline.
Whew!
Re-mount the gearcase, and size up the tractor. Rats again, the low location of the input shaft on the blower will cause bad angles on the pto shaft. Study the case mtg brackets. Sure enough, I can flip the gearcase over if I drill two new holes. Now the input shaft is about 8" higher, and I'll have a nice ~15 degree pto shaft angle. Cool.
So now, I've just got to fab up the 3pt mounts and weld them on.

But I have one question: The blower has a hydraulic chute rotator on it. Does anyone know if JD makes a auxilliary rear hydraulic port for the 2305 with a separate lever? If so, any ideas on cost?
Another option may be a diverter for the FEL valve, don't think I'll need to use both at exactly the same time.

So, far, I'm only into this deal for about $150, so I'm kind of stoked about it. :)

Ken ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-01          166097

First off, I'm sure there is a PB (power beyond) kit available for your machine, but I'm sure you won't want to run out and get it. I can't recall ever seeing one that was less than $500 and that doesn't include the required valve, lines or connectors.

IMHO you'd be better off either plumbing a second valve into the existing FEL plumbing, or using a 'T' and fitting to tap into the existing plumbing and just use one of the existing circuits like the bucket curl function. Just remember you'll need to either block the bucket in place or use a ball valve to block the flow in the existing circuit.

Also, IIRC the JD uses an 'open center' type of valve, anything you add has to be compatible or you'll dead-head the pressure circuit.

It may just be less grief all-round to just get a cheap 12v. winch designed for an ATV from one of those discount places and use a few wraps of cable in a circle to spin the discharge chute. If it has a 3-way switch (power in & out) it will solve the whole issue.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-10-01          166098

With a rear-mount on an open tractor, you could aim the chute rearward, and attach a rod from its forward side to your reach. In use, just push the rod over to the side to pivot the chute to discharge to the left or right. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-10-01          166100

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 166098
With a rear-mount on an open tractor, you could aim the chute rearward, and attach a rod from its forward side to your reach. In use, just push the rod over to the side to pivot the chute to discharge to the left or right.

That's a bulletproof method. If you want power chute rotation you could probably rig up an electric linear actuator and get 90-110 degrees of rotation (guessing here). Dirt cheap on eBay.

View my Photos
wwiiavfan

2009-10-15          166353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 166097
First off, I'm sure there is a PB (power beyond) kit available for your machine, but I'm sure you won't want to run out and get it. I can't recall ever seeing one that was less than $500 and that doesn't include the required valve, lines or connectors.IMHO you'd be better off either plumbing a second valve into the existing FEL plumbing, or using a 'T' and fitting to tap into the existing plumbing and just use one of the existing circuits like the bucket curl function. Just remember you'll need to either block the bucket in place or use a ball valve to block the flow in the existing circuit.Also, IIRC the JD uses an 'open center' type of valve, anything you add has to be compatible or you'll dead-head the pressure circuit.It may just be less grief all-round to just get a cheap 12v. winch designed for an ATV from one of those discount places and use a few wraps of cable in a circle to spin the discharge chute. If it has a 3-way switch (power in & out) it will solve the whole issue.Best of luck.

Good advice on the winch for turning the chute. It worked pretty slick, and only cost $90. Now I just wait for the snow to try it out!

Thanks.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login