Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need a radiator for a Ford 1200

View my Photos
Norsky4360
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-25          161370

After owning this tractor since 1986 I found out today that it was made by Shibaura. The radiator is leaking from both the upper and lower tanks and I have been told that it is unrepairable.

I've checked with several of New Holland dealers and have gotten conflicting answers on the availability of a replacement (as well as a staggering cost). Are there aftermaket radiators available?

Thanks.

btw - what would be the comaparable model number? Ford 1200 = Shibaura ???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-25          161374

Are there any good radiator rebuilders there in Mini-Snow-ta? Reapir is one thing--recoring is another. 8 years ago I spent over $500 on a recore of my skid steer radiator which is a bit larger than yours but not much. Dealer wanted close to $800 for new. ....

View my Photos
Norsky4360

2009-03-25          161379

I've taken the radiator to 2 different shops and both have told me the same thing. The design and manufacture of the radiator is such that it cannot be repaired. :-( F/NW wants close to $1000 for a new one (if it is even available). I can find aftermarket radiators for a Ford 1210 but the mounting points and diameter of the hoses are different. Cost for those start at $400+ which is considerably more reasonable but still expensive IMO. I'd have to do some fabricating to mount it to the frame and make adapters for the hoses but if it is my only option I'll have to do it.

btw - doing some web-crawling last night I found a Shibaura model number that looks like it matches my 1200, at least from a specs standpoint. Ford 1200 = Shibaura SU1341 Can anyone verify that for me?

Thanks. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-25          161380

At that price it seems that it would be worthwhile to find a radiator that fits size-wise and has the same basic cooling capacity. Then fabricate a mounting system and new hoses as required. Maybe the radiator shop can even build a new one of the same size (they have access to tanks and cores) and you can take it from there. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-03-25          161381

I think the first thing you need to do is find a better rad shop.

I have had all sorts of rads recreated by my local shop. We take them the old one and they mix & match tanks and cores and then braze on whatever mounting points are needed in order to make it fit the application.

There's no mystery in these things, it's merely a pair of tanks with inlets and outlets connected by some thin tubes.

Find the biggest shop that does heavy trucks in the nearest big town to you.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-03-25          161384

Don't know where you're at in Minnesota, but D&L Radiator in Buffalo, Minn. can do about anything with a radiator. He even overhauls them for railroad locomotives. I don't know his number, but he's in the book. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-03-25          161391

See if anybody in the Grey Market Tractor Club has a source. They specialize in Shibauras. ....

View my Photos
Norsky4360

2009-03-25          161401

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 161384
Don't know where you're at in Minnesota, but D&L Radiator in Buffalo, Minn. can do about anything with a radiator. He even overhauls them for railroad locomotives. I don't know his number, but he's in the book.

Thanks! I live about half an hour away from Buffalo so I'll give them a call. ....

View my Photos
Norsky4360

2009-03-25          161402

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 161391
See if anybody in the Grey Market Tractor Club has a source. They specialize in Shibauras.

Thanks for the lead. I put a couple of posts over there so will see if anything turns up. ....

View my Photos
Norsky4360

2009-03-25          161403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 161381
I think the first thing you need to do is find a better rad shop. ... There's no mystery in these things, it's merely a pair of tanks with inlets and outlets connected by some thin tubes. ...

Thanks Murf - looks like I have a good recommendation to follow-up on. ....

View my Photos
Norsky4360

2009-04-07          161793

Checked with DL in Buffalo and he was not able to help me.

So I ended up buying a radiator for a Ford 1210 and fabricating a bracket to mount it. Had to flare out the lower edge of the hood a bit to fit around the slightly wider radiator but overall it was an easy thing to do.

Thanks for all the suggestions! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-04-07          161799

Glad you were able to get something to work!!

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login