Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-14          156090

Yep, it sure is an investment to fill that tank.

Just wondering what other areas are seeing. Here gas has dropped (regular) to as low as $3.50 but diesel has not dropped a penny. Have seen it even 10 cents higher than it was when gas was $4 per gallon. Off road was 10 cents less than on road last week but has no road tax which is I think about 40 cents. It use to run at least 30 cents per gallon less. kt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-14          156092

Just stopped at the Co-op station an hour ago. Ethanol blend was 3.54, Premium was 3.66, and Road Diesel was 4.24. I don't remember the high for diesel, but ethanol (10%) was 3.98. Frank ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-14          156093

Had to put some premium in the car on the way to 'coffee break' this morning, US$4.81/gallon.

Premium diesel, US$4.73/gallon, regular ethanol blend gasoline S$4.42/gallon.

Last load of off-road diesel we got was US$3.95/gallon, last load of AvGas I got was US$4.75/gallon.

All around the cheapest way from point to point for me still is the plane, it's the only thing I have that'll get the equivalent of nearly 25 miles per gallon.

The most 'smiles per hour' too! :)

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-08-14          156095

In Michigan, gas was $3.67 last week and is now $3.95 again. Diesel has been hovering around $4.59/$4.79 the last couple of months. ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-08-14          156106

Yooper are you sure you don't mean $4.xx not $3.xx? ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
Harley3971

2008-08-15          156108

Last week I paid 4.95 for diesel and 4.24 for regular gas. ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-15          156109

Diesel lowered to $4.30 here at some stations yesterday late. No idea on off road. Gas is at more stations just under $3.50. kt ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-08-15          156111

I'm on the road in the midwest right now, I paid Minnesota Fleet Farm a discounted $3.46 yesterday for regular unleaded (pump price was $3.50). Left the Mercedes at home this time, but I did notice diesel as low as $4.09 at one place in Wisconsin. Both the Olds and the Mercedes (used to) get 30mpg on the road, so I usually drive the one that burns the cheaper fuel (Mercedes has been sitting idle a lot this year).

But I won't buy gasoline that's watered down with ethanol anymore. On undiluted regular, my Olds gets a consistent 30mpg highway. But when I burn that 10% stuff, it drops as low as 26 sometimes. I'd rather pay a few cents higher for the good stuff, and get my 30mpg back.

The Mercedes doesn't like the new ULSD they forced on us last year either. I lost at least 2 mpg when I started putting that stuff in my tank. Performance dropped too, the glow plugs have to work harder on a cold engine, the engine takes longer to smooth out when cold, and I had to increase the idle speed. New injectors and glow plugs didn't help, neither did pump timing. I'm just now getting around to adjusting the throttle linkage in an attempt to bring up the idle speed.

//greg// ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
bialecki

2008-08-15          156120

Diesel has been steady at $4.87/ gallon all summer in central Connecticut. I thought it would drop at least by a dime, but nope! ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
kskwash

2008-08-16          156130

I just paid $3.99 in southeast Texas. Finding a lot of places at $4.09 right now for diesel ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
Woodie

2008-08-18          156173

when i seen diesel dropping on 31 July I thought I better buy some at the low price of 4.30 before it jumped up, as some news articles etc where kinda indicating a rise again... well its been dropping ever since,Diesel 3.95 and unlead reg 3.75 at truck stop here, and it looks like it will drop another couple cents. I guess i should have waited. :~( ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-18          156175

Didn't notice the diesel but unleaded regular was 3.42 about an hour ago here at a Casey's. ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
Justus

2008-08-19          156184

I just got 130 gallons of Off Road Diesel last week at $3.65 a gallon. I try to wait until around the second week of August to get it as, barring any hurricanes or other major events, it's usually as cheap as it's going to get.
Steve ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-27          156348

As of yesterday found on road diesel just under $4.10 and off road for $3.60. kt ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
bialecki

2008-08-27          156365

OK from my previous post of a couple of weeks ago, diesel in CT has indeed dropped. I just filled up my diesel caddy (30 gallons) at $4.29/ gallon) a drop from $4.87/ gallon. Now if this trend continues this would be great. Maybe I can drive my pickup once again! ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-08-28          156382

Murph, how do you convert price per litre to price per US gallon? (I could figure it out, but you've obviously done the work.)

What do you fly, and out of where? And did you know (well of course you do) that Cessna now has a diesel model? ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-28          156383

To convert Can$/litre to US$/US gallon the formula is;

$/litre times conversion rate = X

X times 3.78 (number of liters per US gallon) = US$/US gallon

For example at todays exchange rate of ~$1.00Can = $0.951US, $1.25/litre would look like this;

$1.25 X 0.951 = $1.189US/litre X 3.78 = US$4.49/US gallon.

Presently my main ride is a 1950 Ryan Navion Super 'B', which is the same as the Military L-17 plane. It's a big low-wing single with retractable gear, sort of like a 1957 Chevy with wings. LOL

In case you want to know more, see the link below.

I also have access though to the 'family fleet' which includes Cessna 172, 182, 185 (last two amphibs) a Beech Bonanza and a Murphy Moose and Rebel (also an amphib). I had a Piper Super Cub but sold it a few years back. It no longer suited the type of flying I was doing.

Some friends & I own a small airport near here, and we have several turf strips on the family farms. It makes commuting handy, it takes just about an hour on the money to drive from home to my place at the farm, it is just over 10 minutes by air. Going to the cottage is the same, 1.75 hours with no traffic by car, just under 20 minutes by air!!

The diesel is IMHO a bit of a gimmick. The diesel uses about 30% less fuel than a conventional gas engine does. But if you do the math it's not really cost effective. First off is the initial sticker-shock of ~US$50k for the engine alone.

Then work out the fuel economy part of it, a 'normal' 172 burns about 10 US gallons per hour at cruise (75% throttle) so a savings of 3 US gallons per hour might be possible using the Centurion diesel conversion. Presently 100LL fuel is about $1.65/litre or US$5.93/gallon. So a savings of maybe US$1.78/hour. To recoup your US$50k investment you would need to do at least 28,000 hours. Considering the lifespan of the average light plane is considered to be a maximum of 12,000 hours, that doesn't quite work out.

But then again, pilots are notoriously bad at doing a cost/benefit analysis!! LOL

There's an old flying joke about the $100 hamburger, weekend warriors will often go for a few hours of flying time merely to have a burger at an airport lunch counter and then go back home. In my case it's butter tarts and coffee, and last I calculated it, it was a lot more than $100!!

Mea Culpa!!!

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Ryan Navion

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
bialecki

2008-08-30          156413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 156383
todays exchange rate of ~$1.00Can = $0.951US,

Murf do the Canadian stores and dealers offer you a better deal with the Canadian dollar being stronger than the US$?

as of today 8/30/08

1.00 USD

=

1.06465 CAD
United States Dollars Canada Dollars
1 USD = 1.06465 CAD 1 CAD = 0.939273 USD ....

Diesel Fuel Pricing

View my Photos
Murf

2008-09-02          156443

Brian, it's not stronger any more, it slipped a little or you're reading the exchange wrong.

To buy US$1.00 will cost us CDN$1.06465 (using your numbers) or an extra six and a half cents per dollar..

In some cases though we are seeing some prices that are better up here, usually it's due to orders placed at times when the dollar was stronger or the product being made here.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login