Go Bottom Go Bottom

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
skipll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-30          177698

~Don't know if I put this in the rite place~
Hypothetical Question----
Say I'm on our gravel road with my Kobelco SK015 backhoe ( rubber tracks ) If engine quits running---now I have the road blocked---So---can it be draged to move it off the road --- in some areas a place off to the side may be some distance. I do have a friend with a lg. 4X4 tractor/ with winch.
So question is---what is the best way to move it---can it bee dragged?
I ask this cause when I first got this backhoe I was working on a house site down the road from here. Shut it off--went to lunch---came back & it would not start---Took 24 hrs. till the previous owner to come out & look at it--( he found the problem & got it started )
One thing for sure I never turn it off till I get it home.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-03-30          177699

You are in the right place to get an authoritative answer. Meanwhile, my uneducated guess is that the only way to hurt it is to dump it upside down. In water. ....

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-03-30          177702

I think by backhoe you mean an excavator. Big difference. Can it be dragged? Sure you can "drag" it but I think you mean tow or pull it ---so yes. IMHO, I have to think if you were to disconnect the lines that go to the drive motors and in turn make them a closed loop by connecting them together. Be sure to fill both lines at each motor with hydraulic fluid. This will/should in theory anyway keep the drive motors lubed as they spin with the tracks. ....

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
Murf

2011-03-30          177705

By way of explanation, Uncle Sam paid for a fancy engineering education for me, but that doesn't mean I always do things "by the book".

In this case it actually started with an easier way to move the machine around job sites without doing damage to the ground. (For Skip's benefit: I build golf courses.)

What I came up with works so well I think everyone should do it!!

We cut one side and the bottom end out of a 250 gallon furnace oil tank, the flat ones with a rounded top & bottom, then put a 'hitch' on it by bolting a piece of chain from the front edge of the two flat sides.

What we ended up with was a steel 'toboggan' that you can drive a mini-ex right into.

You could do the same with a 4'x8' sheet of plywood.

We drag those little buggers all over creation with it now. Even a relatively small tractor can drag an couple ton mini-ex around that way.

Besides, it's heaps faster than crawling it around any distance.

Best of luck. ....

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-03-30          177706

Murf, first reading thought oh yeah, right. But went back to years ago using old car hoods as a skid and they would slide very well. Tobacco farmers here used "drags" to haul tobacco both in the field and from the field with a single mule pulling my guess 1 to 2,000 pounds of green leaves running on 2 wooden skids about full 2 inches wide with no problem. This might be the answer for me on next dirt piles to play with, excuse me move.

Skip, the manual on my mini Volvo tells you to only pull it in case of emergency and no further than has to be. Best my memory is for when I read it thought and what dozier would I have.

Jeff, if you were to hold the controls open (if they operate with engine off) would that serve the same purpose allowing fluid to circulate? ....

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
skipll

2011-03-31          177711

Some great replies here---
So I'm gona look for a car hood ( or maybe a oil tank) ---modify it a bit---then store it in the woods for emergencies. What a great idea.
If I could figure a way to keep the mini excavator on the hood for some distance-----I could use it to move the machine down ( & up ) the gravel road cause it takes bout 1 hr. to get down & 1 1/2 to get back----( 1 3/4 miles )---- Oh well --just a idea-------yup they are slow.

Long ago I needed to cover some spring feed lines out in the woods. My ATV would not pull a garden trailer full of dirt up the hill. So I used a snow sled tied to pulleys & rope to get the dirt ( 2 tons) up the hill useing my ATV. I tell ya--a snow sled will slide over anything----I use it alot for transplanting plants in the yard---Put a link in of the kind I used---but I never did that on here before--don't know if it will show.

This Tractor point forum is great--- Thanks Guys :) ....

Link:   Snow sled

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-03-31          177716

Ken, as far operating the levers to recirculate oil----hmmm. Not sure. On my skid steer as soon as it shuts down it automatically sets the parking brake. Not sure if excavators have a brake system. BUT one way to check is park it on the side of a hill, pull the levers and see if it will roll. ....

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-03-31          177719

Saw this done with a steel-tracked Kobelco-like digger that had to be shifted sideways. An articulated bucket loader snugged the bucket edge under the back of the outside track, gave some upforce (not enough to lift the track off the ground) and pushed over about 3 ft. Repeated at the other end until shifted enough. ....

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
treeman

2011-03-31          177724

Yes, the car hoods work good. We use to pull huge rocks sitting on a 1958 Chrysler Imperial hood. If you get a hood, go with a old one because they are WAY heavier. ....

DEAD BACKHOE

View my Photos
earthwrks

2011-04-01          177748

Car hoods, eh. And to think I have been buying and using trailers to move my stuff down the road.

I did see once a guy have large steel-tracked excavator still on the trailer digging ditches from the shoulder of the road. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login