Go Bottom Go Bottom

Nortrac 25

View my Photos
Savage Glascock
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-26          123531

How big/wide a bush hog or finish mower will a Nortrac 25 horse pull? Need to mow/cut on a reagular basis 25 to 30 acres of pasture and surely need more than the 4 ft bush hog that will come with it. Also, it will come with a box scraper and a GB 220 front loader.

Am a tractor newby and don't know what I'm doing. I know what the loader will do but have no clue what a box scraper does. Can you help?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Nortrac 25

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2006-01-26          123539

If you are wanting to cut a 20 to 30 acre pasture on a regular basis, you had better get a larger tractor as it will take forever with a 4 ft cutter. Unless the pasture is short and not that thick you may be able to sneak up to a 60" otherwise you will have to stay with the 48" cutter.

A box scraper is a good all around tool to have. You can use it to scrape dirt, stone, whatever. If you lower the rippers you can even dig with it. Some box blades have a blade on the rear to push with also.

Nortrac 25

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-26          123545

Savage,

By regular mowing how often is that? Will you be mowing the total pasture or only hitting the high spots?

I have a 27 hp Kubota I use with 4 foot bush hog and 6 foot finishing mower and fully agree with kubotaguy.

kt

Nortrac 25

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-26          123552

Generally speaking, it takes about 5 PTO horse power to run each foot of brush cutter. Your tractor sounds like it will produce about 25 gross HP..... so it probably makes about 20 at the pto shaft. That would put it in the 4 foot cutter range.

As mentioned above you could go up to a 5 foot if you don't work it very hard..... but you may have problems with handling as 5 footer will hang way out there.... and may require serious additional front ballast over and above the FEL.

That said... a 6 foot cutter will be about the same length as the tractor and is not a consideration. ....

Nortrac 25

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-01-26          123557

I used a five foot IMC rotary cutter behind a JM254 on my hilly 30 acres, mostly pasture use. The gear spacing on the tractor sucked for my terrain. H1 was fine for mowing level ground, but almost too fast for going downhill - then I'd have to drop down to L3 to mow back UP hill. I thought 25hp was the right size for my place too - I was wrong.

I've got a 6' IMC behind a 45 horse KAMA now, which I wish I'd got in the first place.

//greg// ....

Nortrac 25

View my Photos
chipuren

2006-01-27          123590

Keep in mind the chinese rate at 12 hour duty cycle not peak. a 25HP Jinma can handle a 5'light to med. duty hog (875lbs of 3 point lift remember so cant get too heavy), 5' matches up nice with the rear tires (when set to 2nd widest configuration). Of course I think a KAMA TS354C would be better suited (could be because I sell them) The 35HP will be nice if the grass gets waist high or you have a lot os saplings and brush, and you also have a 1100lb lift capaicty. but if heavy cutting is rare, you can always just go slower in the rough spots and get by with the 25. ....

Nortrac 25

View my Photos
RanchHand

2006-01-27          123649

I have not received any negitive feed back from the owners that I have sold a Jinma 254LE to that are using a 5ft hog ... all seem happy.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply

Nortrac 25

View my Photos
Carldarnell

2006-01-28          123693

I have a NorTrac NT254 that I use a 5' rotary mower on. I have hilly ground and it works fine for me. I think 6'would be to big for the 254. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login