Go Bottom Go Bottom

TC55DA does not start after I tried to connect dc sprayer

View my Photos
mrdaveone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-05-14          162746

I have a tractor that does not even make a sound when I turn the key. I wanted to spray for weeds with a 25 gallon spayer with a 10 amp dc motor and I connected wire leads to the alternator terminals. I did "spark" with the wrench against the engine block when disconnecting the positive lead on the alternator...and I also tested the sprayer pump and momentarily touched the sprayer leads to the alternator in reverse polarity...once correct polarity was found the pump worked great...ran out of time and next day went to start tractor it did not turn over...then disconnected the sprayer pump from alternator and did the following:
1. Checked fuse box on right side of machine (5 fuses found good)
2. Replaced inline fuse coming off starter.
3. Checked battery and found "good", actually tried a fresh battery and no luck.
4. checked interlock on seat and found it to be already jumpered.

I reached my capabilities knowing what I know:

1. I would like to trouble shoot further but need help.
2. I want to try to jump the starter, but don't know how.
3. Like to check other relays but don't know how.

I am stuck and if anyone can be so kind to advice further trouble shooting I would be very appreciative! Thank you
Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-14          162748

Dave, not up to date on a NH but did you happen to try and see if your lights were working? Is it possible your ground needs cleaning where it bolts to the tractor?

I am assuming your starter is as most are: if you go to jump it you be more than 100% sure the tractor is out of gear. Many have been hurt or killed by being run over by a tractor that is out of gear. You should have no problem finding where the battery cable is on the starter (my assumation). You can take a jumper cable and run from there to the positive post on your battery. Be prepared for a large arc as the amp draw is large. If you do this and there is nothing a very good sign the ground is needing attention. Could be a bad starter but based upon no comment about problems before doubt it. But other than jumping the starter, do you have a volt meter or test light? Much safer to test to see if current is at the battery cable on the starter when in key is turned to start.

I really suspect you either burnt out a fuse or fuse link you have not found or missing a safety switch you normally have off such as PTO or the battery was drained by the pump. Not sure how good an idea it is to connect right to the alternator, think I rather do so to the battery so any sudden load would be helped by the battery. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-05-14          162750

My guess is a fusable link blew.

To jump the starter make sure the tractor brake is on and it is not in gear so it won't move, then take a screwdriver (remote starter button is better) and short across the big terminal where the battery cable attaches to the smaller terminal. If there are two small terminals it seems that the one on top always works (never had a problem doing that). ....

View my Photos
mrdaveone

2009-05-14          162752

Thank you Mr.Thompson and Schumm,

Since its raining now in Harrisburg, PA; I will try tomorrow to "jumper" the starter...I will be extra careful to ensure tractor is not in gear and emergency brake is engaged...I do have a voltmeter...as an alternative to first "jumping" starter, do you believe I should measure voltage at starter? Do you connect the meter to terminal at starter and the the negative lead on the meter should be connected to any ground? Also does the key absolutely have to be turned on to the "start" position when measuring? (If so I will need another set of hands.)

2. I will also clean my fuse box terminals with emery cloth since the fuse box had lots of dirt and dust inside...I removed 2 of the fuses, I could not even get a continuity reading because the fuse knives were so corroded...I replaced the fuses, but at that time did not think about the actual knife contacts...

3. My lights are not working, but they were not working before this incident...only elctrical that works is the emergency flashers.

4. I need to check the PTO safety switch if I can figure out where it is and what it looks like. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-05-14          162753

I don't know NH tractors, but here goes.

There should always be 13+ volts between the big terminal on the starter solenoid and ground. Measure with voltmeter set to DC volts, positive lead on big solenoid terminal and negative lead on chassis ground.

The small terminal probably goes to the ignition switch. When cranking it closes the solenoid circuit that completes the starter circuit. To measure this I'd guess you'd place the meter in the resistance/ohms setting and put one lead on the small terminal and the other on chassis ground (polarity doesn't matter). When the key is in the crank position the meter should read close to zero ohms, when the key is in the off/run position the reading should be close to infinite resistance (open circuit).

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-05-14          162754

Real shot time on my end:
Yes test with meter first. If leads are long enough you should be able to hold key in start position which is only one where voltage is to starter. Do connect lead to frame of tractor for ground (clean metal).
PTO swicth, just be sure you don't have the PTO engage.
Ken is talking about a fuseable link (my thinking) he is not talking about a fuse but a fuseable link of wire that some systems use. So follow all wires to the starter.
Do your flashers work? If not check battery connections and ground to engine for good clean connections. You may need to get a cleaner (if you can find the old TV turner cleaner it works good) and spray the fuse block to clean those terminals.

Hope you well. ....

View my Photos
mrdaveone

2009-05-14          162756

Thank you again Mr.Thompson and Schumm,

Your clarification helps.

also,

I did replace the "fusable link" coming off the starter...it cost $15 and 40 miles for me to pick up at the dealer...however that did not help.

My flashers do work when turned on...and this is the only thing that currently works on the tractor.

Will also buy contact cleaner for the fuse box...will let you guys know the results tomorrow...
Best Regards,
Dave ....

View my Photos
mrdaveone

2009-05-14          162759

I have good news to report...it stopped raining in Harrisburg PA, and finally got the TC55DA started as follows:

1. Removed all the fuses from the fuse box since the inside of the fuse box was still pretty dusty and dirty.
2. Blew out all dirt and dust with compressed air.
3. Sprayed electric motor cleaner on the fuse box knife contacts and dried with compressed air.
4. Scrapped corrosion off fuses with a razor blade before reinstalling.

Lessons learned:
1. When I discovered fuses were corroded with white oxidation film and continuity readings were zero in allot of places on the fuses, I should have been more diligent to clean the fuses and fuse contacts!

2. Fuse box is poorly designed since it is not sealed to prevent dust and corrosion products from entering.

3. I would expect this is a chronic problem on all non-sealed New Holland Tractors that operate in a dusty environment (I know we normally use tractor to cut pasture grass, but it is also used to drag an outdoor horse riding ring which at times is very dusty).

Even though this catastrophic electrical system failure was not related to installing spray pump wire, it was merely coincidental; anyway, I decided to run the wire directly to the battery versus the alternator!

Thank you for your timely responses and sharing your tribal knowledge!

Best Regards,

Dave

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-05-15          162764

Another Happy TP member - thats why I keep coming back, if only because the conversation here helps me to think about how to solve problems. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-05-15          162766

Dave, thank you very much for coming back with what you find. Hope you hang around here and chime in. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login