Go Bottom Go Bottom

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
snikers01
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-22          155553

I have a tc33 the super steer mount the bar that goes from the the front axle to the center of the tractor. There are 4 bolts that mount to the center cetion of the tractor, I broke three of the bolts and tried to extrat the broken bolts with little success I got one on the right side out and it ended up stripping the threads I jb welded the bolt and ran it back in and the other side I only have one bolt in, well the fist bucket of dirt I lifted pulled the bolt that stripped out out. Any suggestions? I tried welding the braket to the center section but it is cast so they just broke. How hard is to replace the center section. dont know what to do. the other two bolt holes have broken drill bits and srcew extrations broken in them..

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-07-23          155555

There has to be a way to get those broken bolts out as replacing the center setion of the tractor is going to be an expensive affair. With the broken drill bits and eaysouts broken off in the bolts things are tough, is there a way to get to the top ends of the broken bolts from inside the center section? I know it's too late in your situation but always use a left hand drill bit to drill out broken right hand thread bolts, you'll never need the easyouts, the shell of the bolt will come out with the bit without damaging the threads in the casting. Frank. ....

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-23          155558

For the small cost involved, you might try having a lawyer write to NH what happened, and that feature is the only reason people buy it, there must have been a design or manufacturing defect, it's a fairly recent model, it has resisted owner attempts at fixing it, and the owner expects them to look after it. ....

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-23          155560

With drill bits and easy outs being harden metal, you may be able to take a punch and hammer and break them into pieces, do so carefully and slowly. If you used the easyouts that are straight and are driven in they did make a tool that had like fingers to fit in it's grooves to turn. If you used an easyout that has the left hand threads and tightens into the drilled out bolt you may even be able to turn the easy out to the right with a small sharp punch to get it out of the bolt.

Someone will chime it on the proper name but they make a spring like threaded insert you may be able to use in the damaged hole. kt ....

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-07-23          155562

Helicoil is sometimes used to repair threads. Myself, I've never used them since it seems like a more solid repair to drill the hole larger and tap new threads. But that depends on the type of metal and the area in question.

This won't help after the fact, but these bolts could have broke because they were loose. A good reason to go over all the bolts periodically to make sure they're all torqued to spec. That may be called out as a maintenance item in the manual. ....

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-07-23          155564

In my opinion the only way to rework it is to disassemble that part of the tractor, take it to a machine shop and have them drill them out on a milling machine using carbide tooling. If the threads are stripped, they need to be drilled out larger and replaced by heli-coils or E-Z lok thread inserts (E-Z Loks don't require a special tap). Hopefully there is enough material around the holes that going larger isn't making too thin of a wall. If there isn't enough material around the hole to go larger, a good weld shop can fill in the holes and remachine and tap them. JB weld is useless except to fill a cosmetic hole, it has no strength.

Doing this on a milling machine will do the job correctly since the holes will end up as being square to mounting surfaces and truly round rather than cobbled up trying to do it with hand tools. Depending on the size of the part, it may need to go on a boring mill.

You may get away without taking it all apart if you find a shop that has a magnetic based drillpress (Milwaukee) and they can attach it to the tractor at some point square to the axis of the bolts.

This is going to cost some money but should be less than total replacement. ....

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
snikers01

2008-07-23          155572

the only problem it is the complete center section of the tratror so tacking it to a machine shop isn't really an option. I am going to buy new high quality easy out and go back and try to get the other broken bolts out. DON'T buy black and decker easy outs they are junk. I was using the biggest one and after I got the fist one out I was working on the second one heated up the area incerted it and just broke with little effort. They deffenly aren't harden.. ....

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-07-23          155573

If the easy outs broke that is that they are too hard being brittle. I use Magna brand that we get from an industrial distributor (Like Grainger, etc.) rather than ones for home use.

Suggest drilling them out as large as you can to get good insertion up by the larger end of the shaft. Make sure you get the drilled holes on the screw axis and close to center. I try to apply a small amount of torque trying to get it out and then keep twisting harder to get it out rather than rapidly hanking on it. That helps to reduce breakage but some break anyway. ....

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
snikers01

2008-07-23          155574

I going to today to a bolt company that I know has commercial grade tools I will look for that brand
Thanks
Dan ....

broken super steer mount

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-07-23          155577

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 155562
Helicoil is sometimes used to repair threads. Myself, I've never used them since it seems like a more solid repair to drill the hole larger and tap new threads. But that depends on the type of metal and the area in question.

I have seen a manufacture use the Helicoil in a very important use, the swivel bearing for a crane. You can be sure it was per all specs as the risk was high. I know it was done a few times and never knew of a problem with it. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login