Go Bottom Go Bottom

sun protection on a CUT with a canopy

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-25          129852

Okay. I decided on the Firebird canopy for my TC33D. Cost $475 delivered. Looks really nice--the rear of the canopy rides up and over the rollbar giving it the look of a spoiler.

What I think I'm looking for now is to extend or broaden the width along the sides and rear to add more protection rom more than just high-sun. Anybody seen anything like this? I know there is a fine, sun-blocking mesh out there that could be stretched on a frame, but I was hoping someone beat me to the market and already makes these.

Link:   Firebird canopy web site

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-05-25          129854

OK try the post below. Should make you a hit with the Latinos. ....

Link:   Balls

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-25          129857

Peters: Are you the same guy that suggested I use plywood for a canopy? But I'll take this idea under advisement----Nnnnot! ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-05-25          129859

Man you want me to be serious!!! Thats no fun!!!!

I have never seen an extension like you discribe, but there is sun screen material is available that has some rigidity. The two suppliers I know of are Ten Cate Baycor and Twitchell. I have books some place for both I will see if I can find them tomorrow and determine which fabric would be appropriate.

Link:   Baycor

Picture Link
New Holland Tractors sun protection on a CUT with a canopy

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-05-26          129872

In your previous post you indicated that you wanted a hard top. Back on the farm years ago we had tractor umbrellas. TSC still sells both kinds. Ours was Red and said IHC on it. It's 50 years old and still in the barn. You can articulate them into the proper position to block the sun and gives some protection in light rain. You can lower it down so you are right under it giving you protection til sunset.

They are easy to remove which is important. On cool, cloudy days with a hard top you will be cold!! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-26          129922

Yooper: I do a lot of grading where I have to make multiple circling or figure 8's in the process, so I'm not sure the umbrella would be practical An umbrella is fine for farming or around the house. Alos, I sometimes have sevral jobs to go to in one day so being that mobile I need somthing I can traler quickly without worry of being like Mary Poppins. And a quality canopy gives a professional image IMHO when someone's paying $75 an hour for my services, because the first thing a customer says to me is "oooowe---I gotta have one of those (tractor) until I tell 'em that for $20,000 they too can have one. That makes a $300-$1000 job I just did for them look like chump change. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-26          129923

earthworks,

I am offended that you gave the credit to Peters on the plywood top. I worked hard to come up with that. Sadly it was not my idea. Saw it on a Michiagan tractor!!!! headed to Miss.

Now, plywood you thought might be tacky, so you buy a high price top when price was your first concern and now want to put curtains on it. Really, are you a tractor driver or an Interior Decorator?

There is a sun screen material used for dog pens you might could use but it would have to be cut to size and hemmed so it does not ravel. There is also sunblock window screen material you could use. Something I find nice is a fan blowing down on you. You should be able to mount it so rain is not an issue.

Now back to the plywood, you could just staple either of these to the plywood, but you will need to use the snaps for boat tops with your fancy top. LOL ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-26          129924

The more I read this thread the more I like my air conditioned cab!!!

hehehehehehehehehehe .....

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-26          129928

KT: With all your talk about fabric, sizing, hemming, etc. it sounds like you are really in touch with your feminine side. Good for you! I'm glad this board has been life-changing fer ya'll (is that how they say it SC?). We here at TP except you for who you are (notice I didn't say "accept") ah-hahhahaha

By the way that Michiganian on his way to Mississippi with the plywood canopy...I happen to talk to him (he said to tell you hello---or in SC-speak "wanna beer?"); he told me to tell you that your modesty is showing (and you thought that was something else) 'cause you gave him the inspiration one rainy night when he saw you on the way back from the bar...err..."waterin' hole" (did I say that right?) riding through town on your 2wd Kuboaty with a cardboard yard sale sign shielding your head ---(something about how to get around getting another DUI). He wasn't clear about whether the cardboard to was to hide your face from the Law, protect your family from another "mom----dad's doing IT again" embarassment, or what. Do you wanna set the record "straight"---oops----gotta be Politically Correct---- I didn't mean to use the term in mixed company. My bad. tehehehehe

(Gawd---this is a riot!---it's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out!) ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-05-28          129964

KT: What? No reply, no word play? Come on, gimme your best shot--or maybe you already have??? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-30          130024

earthwrks,

Some of us really do work. Okay that is not what I did much of Saturday or Monday. It was mostly replacing busted hyd hoses and broken planter parts.

Murf, it turned HOT all of a sudden here and I could have used your a/c cab. This from a guy that use to like the heat.

As to my femine side: okay I am blessed. I not only can operate a tractor better than you but a sewing machine as well. As to the yard sign...will have to say I don't visit watering holes and my cut K is not 2 wd. I also am a fair cook. More than just potatos.

As to people from Michigan; I know 4 very nice people who gave up the dark days of no sun they knew there for a better one in the promised land of South Carolina. In all seriousness I really do know 4 great people here from Mich.

earthwrks, Hate to say it but in our unusually hot temp Saturday and Monday while using tractor I thought of you and your canopy. I have two K's with canopies and used both. I notice on the CUT the canopy is closer to my head and the sun does not come in the side as much. On my larger tractor the canopy is high enough to stand up under it and the sun is much more of a problem. I also laughed thinking about you and the sun screen you were installing!!!

As to the yard signs here...yep... a lot of snow shovels and blowers. Breaks my heart on that. In all seriousness we are being overrun with implants. Locals are fast become the minority. It is so funny to listen to an implant tell how bad the "locals" drive when they don't realize such a large number only recently moved from NJ, Ohio and such.

Well back to the income producing job.

Good Day and God Bless ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-30          130026

Back when I was a kid, sun protection on a tractor was a pith helmet and a long sleeve shirt. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-05-30          130029

... and if it was a particularly hot day and you couldn't find your helmet you were "pithed off"???

ROFLMAO......

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-05-30          130030

Yup. Some people I know have been that way ever since.

Hell of a way to live.......... ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-30          130032

I knew a farmer for him the tractor was the today's tanning bed. When I saw him in just his boxers made me be sure to give him notice I was drivng up next time.

Our summer sun did prompt a fair amount of early morning and late day work. That was when men was men and their hp was horses amd mules.

GD, GB

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-05-30          130098

Hmmm, And I thought that when it got a bit too hot you would just put one of those Illegals on her for the rest of the days work? Only problem I see with that would be trying to explain to them what an "8" "Ocho" looks like? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-05-31          130125

earthwrks,

Saw on other thread on your sunscreens. Do post pictures if possible when you get those mounted.

It could be the guy in Mich has a good idea.

GD, GB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login