Go Bottom Go Bottom

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Ted
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-07-02          5677

What is the best engine oil for use in the three cylinder diesel tractors ? During the summer months should I adjust the weight of the oil ? What weight oil is recommended for year round use - I do snowblow with the tractor in the winter as well. Mitsubishi MT180HD

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Jeff

1999-07-02          5678

I have a owners manual for a IH that uses a mitsu 3 cyl engine-10 degrees 5 wt But not for extended durations or at full load-10 to 32 degrees 10 wt oil 32 degrees on up 30 wt oilI live in southeast texas so the below freezing temps never occur so Irun 30 wt year aroundMy book said not to use multi-viscosity oil Maybe this will give you a starting point anyway ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Tracy

1999-07-03          5697

The BEST oil to use is Mobil Delvac 1 its a sythetic 5W-40 its great for the winter engine turns over easier helps in starting. And can't be beat for hot temp. I run it and love it. it the $15.00 gallon scares you they also have one called Delvac 1300 15W-40 its great just not sythetic. good tractoring ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Steve Offiler

1999-07-03          5703

I am using Shell Rotella 15W-40 for spring/summer/fall in my Ford/NH 1520 which is also equipped with a Japanese 3-cyl diesel. One of the most important things (besides viscosity) is to make sure your oil is rated for a diesel. It will carry a rating such as "CG" versus the oil used in gasoline engines which uses ratings such as "SG". Trivia: the "C" stands for compression igntion i.e. Diesel; the "S" stands for spark ignition. ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Ian f

1999-07-05          5739

all of the deisel rated oils will work the viscosity as desribed in the first post is a good rule of thumb. I am now using rotella by shell. but the name is nat as important as it being deisel rated so it can deal with the soot you machine generates. ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-07-07          5789

Ted,Not even including the performance benefits to Synthetic oils, I thought you might like to see how they can also save you money. Doing a little math,I average +30k miles a year, andan oil change requires 5 quarts. Changing oil at the manufactures 7500 mile mark for petro, and doing the work myself,a petro oil change is ~$7-10 for oil, 5 buck for a filter. Yielding $48-$60 a year in costs, minus my time. The synthetic I use(AMSOIL),recommends 1 year or 25k mile changes, Due to winter weather, I find it easier to change twice a year, spring/fall(~15k miles). At approx $5 a quart, $30 a change w/filter OR $60 a year. Looking at a $12-15 petro change, vs $30 Synthetic change, I can see why one would think Synthetics more expensive. BUT, Not even considering my time, Picking up a true 1-1.5 mile to the gallon better fuel econo over Petro in my Acura yields approx $.40 saving per 300 mile/10 gal fill-up,based upon $1.15 A GAL/13 gal tank),$1.20 a week,$62.40 a year savings in fuel. This means I not only recover the cost of the oil change, but I also save $2.40 a year more than my oil costs. Still doesn't sound worth while? Looking at the 183,000 miles on the odo of my 9 year old Acura, and using the figures mentioned above. Petro changes would have cost me ~$432-$540, not including my time. Synthetics cost me $540 in 9 years, minus a savings of $561.60 in fuel. Meaning, instead of costing me $540 in nine years, I've saved $561.60 over Petro. Did I mention my time? 7500 mile Petro changes would=36 hours total for the average 1 hour oil change,Synth=18Hours for 15k changes. Looking at minimum wages, $5.75x36H=$207, $5.75x18H=$103.5. Or a grand total of $665.10 in savings.And no, I'm not a salesman, just a guy who got tired of changing oil 10 times a year when myold car called for 3k oil changes. That $665.00 just more than doubled! ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
greg h

1999-07-07          5802

the long drain interval isnt an option when you have a tractor due to dusty environs andthe loading up of the oil with conataminants. i use mobil 1 but i think anyone that goes 25k before removing all that dirty oil is leaning too heavily on the side of false economy. just a view not facts ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-07-08          5820

Good point Greg,But it is amazing how the oil companies have control of how we think. So we keep buying moreproduct, kind of like a drug addict. Better still,we stand up for them like Soldiers. More and more large trucking companies are starting to use extended drain programs, with the help of oil analysis kits. The kit is simple to use, take a small sample of oil(when HOT), send it away, days later the results are compared to the manufactures limits of the various chemicals &particles that end up in the oil. A recommendation can then be made to keep using theoil or change it. What does this mean to us? it means that extended oil changesare possible. And amazingly enough, even manufactures like Cummins have realized thatthese early oil changes were not necessary, hence Cummins 15K mile drain interval program.Good example, you read the label on a milk jug, only to find it expired.Do you immediately toss it, or do you check it, or does your wife check it?You probably check it, why? because you paid good money for those groceries, and youdon't want to just throw something away that may still be good. Yet, we assume oil magically turns sourat Midnight of 3k miles or 50Hours. For one reason or another we never consider thatthe oil may still be good. This is proven by the fact that more and more trucking companies are seeing 75-100k mile oil change intervals with regular filter changes of course, and no difference in wear at overhaul time. The bottom line is: what and how anyone spends their time and money is really no concern of mine. I can only recommend that one would find out the facts for themselves, And realizethe facts are different than they were 20 years ago. Amazing how a quart of oilsays "New and improved formula" & "With XYX additive", Yet we still change oil at3k miles, the same as 20 years ago... ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Bill

1999-07-10          5864

I agree with your reasoning, as that is what I use as well, but adding a Tri Guard System, and using oil analysis would save even more. If your dealer is not telling you this, he is just selling you oil, and not giving you the service you deserve. I have two vehicles, one Diesel(six years on Amsoil), one gas and a New Holland all running that way. By the way, the both diesels are now running on the Series 3000 5W-30 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, and have been over a full year now. No complaints from either engine ( and it's been close to 100 here lately), and an increase in milage on the one on the road. According to Amsoil, this oil outperforms all other 15W-40 oils on the market, even though it's a 5W-30. By the way, that was the first change in 5 years on the truck, and I only changed to go to the newer light weight oil, nothing wrong with the old. I now use synthetic in every place possible. And with the By-Pass Filter system installed, the oil may be black, but there is not any grit in the oil like I had before I changed from petroleum. Best thing I ever did for all my engines! ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-07-12          5895

Bill,Nice to hear that I'm not the only one out there who feels this way. I hesitateto tell anyone that my fathers an AMSOIL dealer, due to conflict of interest.He became a "Lifetime" dealer for two reasons: One, to take advantage of Dealer pricing, which has saved both of us quite a bit of money. And secondly, we can call in an order andpick it up right from the warehouse. Not wait for a dealer to pick it up on his next order. You are absolutely right about the by-pass filter systems, but I feel people needto experience the effects of the product, before they will commit to the added expense ofthe one time purchase for a by-pass filter system.When someone says "I can't afford it" He says" I can't afford not to use it"! ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Slamfire

2002-04-30          37983

Another thing to consider is the sulphur content of the fuel you are using. The stuff sold at the tax free pumps is generally high sulphur, while that sold at the local truck stop probably isn't. The higher the sulphur content the more sulphuric acid created in the combustion chamber, which ends up in the oil. You might want to change sooner than once a year! ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-01          38003

Like slamfire said the acid in the oil will eat the bearings. If you not on you owners manual there is a time and milage change interval for engine oil.
What a heavy truck does which is run continuously and what a compact tractor does which runs sparatically are two different things entirely. It might take me 6 moths to reach 50 hrs.
I am a believer in the synthetic oil, but any oil has only so much holding capacity. Diesels generate a lot of soot which colors the oil black. Eventually the particles will precipitate out collecting in the journals etc.
I have had good success with the semisynthetic in terms of break down and do to the lower cost I extend the changes but not more than 50% greater than specified.
I have not tried a full synthetic that does not show some viscosity break down at the extend changes. Sometimes they will be as clean as new but rubbing the oil between your fingers demonstrates the difference.
As a chemist I liken this to the problem with the current tires. The tread on the tire wears well and looks good but the tires deteriate on the corners and side walls. Someone who is accustomed to looking only at the tread will get fooled and be running on tires that are unsafe.
If we are looking for the breakdown of the oil in terms of discoloration then we will get fooled.

Oil Specs

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-02          38045

I've heard stories about diesel fleet owners who run engines almost continuously, change oil filters at recommended intervals but change oil very infrequently. These practices are generally described along with periodic use of oil analysis and additives.

I have the impression that one thing the additives are suppose to do is maintain the oil's pH because the ingredients are both use and time sensitive. I don't know if this type of practice actually works well, and I'm aware that compact tractors and diesel fleets are operated very differently.

It would be very interesting though if the time sensitive components in oil could be restored by use of an additive. I imagine there are quite a few people who change oil winter and summer with just a few hours on it and then have to dispose of the used oil.

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-02          38053

The oil from your car, truck and tractor can be rerefined. Oil companies take used oil back in as feed stock and redistill the oil to produce new oil.
Good filtration can keep the oil clean and the components that break down, can be restored. How do you think that they change the oil on a diesel on a ship?
Some of the additive in thr oil act as buffers to control pH. Some control oxidation of the oil. Others control suspension of the dirt particles (surfactants). Unfortunately these deteriate over time and thing like the surfactant can absorb water into the oil over time. If allow to sit an extended time components can rust. ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-02          38060

Ok, I'll bite. How do they change the oil on a big ship? Or for that matter a diesel locomotive? Or is this one of those, Why do firemen wear red suspenders/where does a 500 pound gorilla sit, questions? ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-02          38061

As stated before they just monitor the oil and add the components that are lost. As weight is not a factor on a ship they have a large oil capacity and large separate filtration. If they get the oil contaminated for some reason then the oil must be pumped off and recycled at the refinery or burned.
Like we talked about before more than oil quality is measured. Trace metal and organic contaminates from bearings and seals are tracted to signify excessive wear and possible problems. The coolant water can also be tract this way.
20 years ago friends of mine had the contract for waste oil for the Navy in WA state. They would bring in tankers to unload their tanks, very infrequently. Normally only when a rebuild/refit was in progress. Remember the Navy uses equipment harder than a cargo ship would. ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-03          38095

I recalled another bit of the story. I think the idea of extended oil use with analysis and additives is done with straight-weight oils. I'm not sure it works with multi-grades because the polymers added to base oils to achieve temperature sensitive viscosity degrade with use. I've assumed the oils used are petro oils and I'd don't have a clue how synthetics would fare. ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
PAUL Mc

2002-07-11          40289

I have but one question,which would you rather buy oil and filter or rebuild parts? just an old mechanics 2 cents. ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-12          40300

It seems that large-scale operations do use methods to avoid frequent oil changes without causing excessive engine wear. I’m not sure those methods are practical for tractor owners. By the same token, disposing of waste oil has gotten to be a real problem and I don’t want to produce anymore of it than necessary. ....

Oil Specs

View my Photos
Art White

2002-07-12          40301

I just feel compeled to do this! When a car runs down the highway what RPM and load does it have on the engine? When a diesel truck goes down the highway what RPM and load does it have on the engine? Now for the clincher, what RPM and load does a tractor run at? Why do people put oil designed for low RPM and load into something that normally is running close to full throttle and full load? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login