Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mower gear lube

View my Photos
vettmanjj
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-17          162142

Almost time to replace gear lube in my Kubota mower deck. I'm thinking about using Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 synthetic, rated at GL-5. Owner's manual specifies 90W, and GL-3 or higher. Anyone see any issues with going synthetic.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mower gear lube

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-17          162144

I thought the advantage of syns was that they could be made in a wide viscosity range, like 5/50, so would be good as engine oil in cold temps. If that's the case, I don't see the benefits over cost in syn gear oil. (I understand they last longer too, but because they attract the same impurities over time, they should be changed at the same intervals as regular.) ....

Mower gear lube

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-04-18          162149

Auer; The last Chevy 4X4 pickup was due for routine service, so I took it to a different Chevy dealership thinking what's the difference, just an oilchange.
Fancy place with the soft furniture waiting room and all that, pretty quick the "Service Consultant", it said on his shirt came in and advised me that the gear lube in the front and rear differentials should be changed, and of course they had a special sale on that right then. I asked why, never did that before. His reply was that because the gear lube was synthetic and it should be changed every 50K miles, and that right now the special was only 89.95 for the whole deal.
So my same question if it needs changed at every 50K @ 89.95, then what is the big deal about synthetics? I've ran pickups with common gear oil and never changed it, so what's the big deal?
I told the guy, just change the engine oil and get me outta here, I never went back, but they are out of business now anyway. Frank. ....

Mower gear lube

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-18          162154

Dealers sell stuff to make money, not because there's always a need.

Every time my truck is at the dealer they try to sell me something. I've been having the dealer do LOFs during work hours since it's so convenient (they share the parking lot where I work).

Anyway, last time they called and said "You need to have your fuel injection flushed, only $199.95. That needs to be done every 30k miles and it's overdue".

I asked them why it wasn't in the maintenance schedule.

They said "There's a lot of stuff that's not in the maintenance schedule". That's their standard reply.

No thanks, it's running fine.

Actually, the last time I had a fuel injection cleaning done my mileage dropped by 10% for the next two tanks.

Mower gear lube

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-04-18          162158

KW; After the dealership I refered to went out of business I started hearing some tales from people who trusted them to do the right thing, but as it turned out they were cheating the customer big time. So after the synthetic gear lube I passed on I kind of doubt that if they did change it at all that it would have been anything but common gear oil, how would I have known what they did while waiting in the comfy waiting room dozing off to elevator music. Free coffee and cookies, WOW. ....

Mower gear lube

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-04-20          162172

Hardwood, my in laws had an accidednt. The dealership did the repair and replaced the rear axle as it took the lick they said. Not sure now if right after or right before that dealership closed the rear axle went to whinning real loud. Happened to have new closer dealership who said sorry, orginial axle, Chrysler back them up and did repair it as they had paper work proving it had been done. And people think only the policitians lie. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login