Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
roaf3x
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-13          159424

Hello All:

My Dad's Kubota is having a hard time starting at about 10 degree F. He just changed out the battery and it is only a little better. The starter is slower (cold...).

Is there a chance the glow plug is part of the issue. The tractor has 285 hours at the 6 year mark. What is the lifespan of a glowplug. Is heating mandatory below 10f?

I know there are some folks here that live north of the 50 degree latitude. Any thoughts to pass along related to cold weather ops?

Cheers,

RD

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-13          159426

Glow plugs: Do you know if they work? Is there a light that comes on when they are on or do you have to hold a switch to operate them? I'm in SE Michiagn and my diesel stuff had a hard time starting yesterday. But once it started it kicked over a half second later.

Some here don't like to do it, but I use just a SMALL squirt of starting fluid as the engine is turning over. If you squirt first then try starting it tends to "lock up" the engine. Then you have to wait a minute for the engine to decompress before trying it again. ....

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-13          159431

Do you still have "summer diesel" in the tank? ....

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
roaf3x

2009-01-13          159433

I think the fuel is new within the last 30 days. The filter

was also not that old.

RD ....

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-14          159438

Roaf3x,

There's likely nothing wrong with your tractor. Your fuel could be gelled up, or you could have some wax built up in your fuel filter. Both of these problems, if they exist, can be corrected by using #1 diesel in your tractor during the winter months.

You probably don't have a block heater in the engine....correct? If not, this is the best way to solve this problem on a permanent basis. A block heater will cost you about 40 dollars. Quite a bit more, if you have it installed by someone else. Simply plug the block heater into a wall outlet for about 40 minutes prior to starting the tractor.

I prefer to use a portable kerosene heater, as it warms up the entire tractor. Cold weather can be hard on transmissions, axles, hoses, water pumps, alternators, hydraulic pumps, etc. It's nice to have a warm engine so that the thing will start, but what about all of the other components? When they're cold care must be taken not to place too much demand on them until you get them warmed up, as well.

It's always best to have the entire tractor warm before starting it.

Look for a kerosene heater by names such as Knipco, Reddy, and Mr. Heater. Menards sells one by the name of Heat Hog.

It doesn't take much heat from a kerosene heater to do the job. Run it for about 30 minutes, aimed at the grill of the tractor. I place mine about 4 feet from the front tire, and angle it to aim between the front tires, directing the heat down the length of the tractor. Starts every time, even when -30.

Joel ....

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-14          159440

Roaf3x,

I should have mentioned this earlier.....

Batteries lose about 40% of their cranking power at temperatures around the freezing point. At temps below zero, batteries can lose more than 60% of their rated cranking power. Couple this with thick engine oil, stiff bearings in the water pump, starter, alternator, etc.....any engine can be difficult to get started.

Warming the battery slightly will GREATLY improve your starter's performance on any cold winter day.

It sounds to me as though you could get by with just a block heater, unless you face temperatures much colder than you have now.

Joel ....

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-14          159449

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaf3x | view 159424
He just changed out the battery and it is only a little better. The starter is slower (cold...).

The first question those statements beg to be answered is how thick is the oil in that tractor?

There's a pretty big difference between trying to start it with 15W-40 and 10W-30 in the engine. It will also make a huge difference if it has Super UDT in the transmission instead of regular UDT hydraulic fluid in it.

Bear in mind, from the moment you touch the starter the engine and transmission oil pumps are turning. The thicker the oil in them, the harder they are to turn.

Best of luck. ....

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
unit5alive

2009-01-17          159563

Mine starts pretty good at 0 to +10 degree's,the only thing I do is leave the battery tender on it in the shed,
so its always ready ,and I run 10/30wt kubota oil, and super UDT , with Power Service additive in the fuel,its never had a gelling problem, its still got the original battery from 2003 that came in it and has approx 450hrs?. ....

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
roaf3x

2009-01-17          159570

Gentelmen;

Thanks for all of the replies.

I have passed this along to the "higher" power (my dad).

The conclusions are:

1. Cold is bad Palm Beach or Palm Springs Kubota guys never have this discussion.

2. Heat is your friend. Block heater is required if you live anywhere north of CT. Even a trouble light under the hood may save your bacon.

3. Heat your battery or sleep with it. It may be warmer than your wife.

4. Know your oil! Change it frequently and 40W or 30 W makes a difference.

5. UDT or Super UDT .....only your hydraulic pump knows but it was made for cold or hot You Decide.

6. Murf Knows all.....

Thanks to all who responded. I am always in awe at the breadth of knowledge and experience on this board.

Thanks !

RD ....

Hard Starting BX22

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-19          159585

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaf3x | view 159570
6. Murf Knows all.....Thanks to all who responded.

LOL Oh my that's funny!! LOL

And yes, your cheque is in the mail. ;)

Seriously though, thank you for the kind words.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login