Go Bottom Go Bottom

Backhoe options for Kubota L3010

View my Photos
pillageTHENb
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-23          151619

Hello there, I must first say that I know very near _nothing_ about tractors (as far as terms, slang, acronyms and abbreviations go). I am trying to do some research for my dad, he has a Kubota L3010 that currently has a box scraper and a front end loader on it. We need to get a backhoe for it and I don't know where to start. This seems like it is one of the more knowledgeable forums so I figured I'd give it a try!

A local dealer told me that I would probably need to go with the L4560 or the BL4690, he was pretty vague about details and as it was past closing time he wasn't too excited about answering more questions... anyway I decided to look around online and see what I could dig up. I've seen people who say they have used a "Taylor Way 766", a "Woods 7500" and "Bradco"; the dealer mentioned something about "Amerequip"? The number of options and combinations are daunting. We would need it for digging and trenching in Nevada soil (sometimes a little rocky, sometimes clay).

I don't know if I need a "frame" or even what that is. From a spec sheet I found online it says that the tractor had a "3-point hitch, Rear Hitch Catagory I"

I am supposed to find prices for my dad ("shop around" and find the best "deal"). I know he doesn't want something that is going to break or be a pain in the neck to use but at the same time he probably does not want to spend a fortune on it either...

I know that is a lot to ask but if anyone out there has ANY information, tips, ideas, suggestions, commands, questions or help please let me know!
Thank you so very much for your time!

-Logan
Reno, NV

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-02-23          151620

Logan; Welcome to the board, we are a pretty diverse group, meaning that no one of us knows it all, but as a group we usally get things figured out. I'm basicly a John Deere person, but do have a tractor,(4310) that is just a bit bigger than your Kubota 3010, and a model 48 John Deere backhoe attachment to fit it. Depending on the size of backhoe you need would determine whethwer you need the bigger model tractor to put it on. Backhoes are built in most any size to fit tractors from smaller than your Dad's on up.
The difference between a frame mount hoe and a three point hitch mount hoe is, A three point hitch mounmt is just what ut says, the backhoe is mounted on the three point hitch of the tractor, and a frame mount hoe is attached to a subrframe that usually stays on the tractor whether the backhoe is on or off. Frame mount hoes are a more solid way of attaching a backhoe than a three point hitch, plus three point hitches can be easily damaged by the abnormal stress placed on them by the leverage that a backhoe can generate. I know that Kubota builds backhoes, but I'm not sure if they produce a frame mount model for your tractor. In my book a matched brand set, meaning for example a Kubota frame mount backhoe on a Kubota tractor, or John Deere frame mount backhoe on a John Deere tractor, etc. are always the best system. With the "Matched Brand" situation the backhoe was engeneered to properly fit the tractor, the hydraulic system of the backhowe was designed to be the right size and capacity to fit the tractor, etc. Perhaps the dealer you got kind of a brushoff from was having a bad day or was already late for something, so maybe give him another chance. If he is still in kind of a brushoff mood just leave and find another dealer that you are comfortable with. Kind of an old saying, "If you don't like the dealer you arent't going to like the tractor". Best of luck. Frank ....

View my Photos
pillageTHENb

2008-02-24          151633

Thank you so much! That is already heaps more info than I have been able to find!! Yeah I am pretty sure that the people at the dealer I went to are nice people, in fact he wasn't really even rude to me I just think that since it was getting late in the day he wanted to go home and not spend 45 minutes explaining tractors to a "newbie". I will definitely give them another chance next business day.

So what I gather is that I will probably want a frame mount hoe that is designed to be a good match (size wise etc.) to this tractor. Ideally I think we want the biggest hoe that is comfortable, logical and safe for that tractor.

Well I will talk to the dealer again on Monday, hopefully armed with at least a little bit more knowledge... Thank you! I will keep you posted on the outcome.

Of course if anyone else still has ideas I'm always open!! ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-24          151637

Actually, I do know it all! (At least, that's what the wife says.)

Yes, by all means look at a Kubota one. I don't know Kubotas but expect that would mean buying new, and I'd guess the hoe will be around $5000+ and a subframe around $500. You would want to have it installed for you, and that's not like attaching the box scraper. And it will need or come with stabilizers, a rear-facing seat, and maybe a supplementary hydraulic reservoir and pump.

With the hoe on, the tractor is quite impeded. Yes, you could still mow or use the bucket, but with that heavy and high-reaching attachment, you'll be going slowly and carefully. Given what it costs and what it does to the tractor when it's on, you might want to look at hiring a hoe with operator, or seeing if you can just rent a hoe unless, of course, you'll be doing a lot of digging. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-25          151651

The original backhoes offered from Kubota at the time they were built were three point hook-ups not the subframe units. Kubota didn't have the chassis problems that plagued many of the manufacturers that were breaking tractors at the clutch housings. ....

View my Photos
pillageTHENb

2008-02-25          151652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art White | view 151651
The original backhoes offered from Kubota at the time they were built were three point hook-ups not the subframe units.Kubota didn't have the chassis problems that plagued many of the manufacturers that were breaking tractors at the clutch housings.

So does that mean that I might not "need" to get a subframe as well?

Once a subframe is attached is the backhoe something that we could take on and off if needed?

Regarding just renting one, we looked into that pretty extensively and it turns out for the amount of digging he needs to do and the number of jobs already in sight it would cost much more to rent than it would to just buy one.

Well thanks again for the info, I'm going to try to make it by the Kubota dealer today and see what they have to say as well. Thanks to all of you for helping me make this an educated decision!

-Logan ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-02-25          151653

Logan,

Depending upon how deep you need to dig, and how often the hoe will have to be removed and reattached to the tractor, you might find that it would be better to purchase a small excavator, such as those made by Bobcat.

If you do a little searching at Proxibid, you'll find small excavators that sell for about the same price as a tractor mounted backhoe. The convenience of not having to remove the backhoe when mowing, will more than pay for the extra cost of the excavator.

Check the following link. Search for an "EXCAVATOR" in your area. Either that, or look for a used backhoe to fit your tractor. Once you know which model you need, and how much a new one costs, you will then be able to bid with confidence.

See the link below.

Joel

Link:   Proxibid Online Auctions. Bid From Home.

View my Photos
pillageTHENb

2008-02-25          151657

Thanks Joel! I'll check out Proxibid... You have a good point about getting a stand-alone excavator that is used only for that. However he (my dad) does not have agriculture save for a few animals and we live in Nevada so mowing is probably not going to be an issue in the near future (lots of sagebrush, an occasional Juniper Tree and that's about it). The tractor is currently used for generic "around the ranch" type work: moving fill-dirt, logs, rocks, grating the driveway, moving the boat, leveling ground etc. etc. so I'm not sure if it would really be a problem, I assume he wouldn't be changing it out very often.

I will look in to the bobcat excavators too, that does sound like a good option, then he would never have to worry about changing attachments... And like you said, if I can find one for a similar price it would certainly save the headache of dealing with another attachment!

Thanks!

-Logan

p.s. Advice and input is still welcome!! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-02-25          151662

Pillage; I wasn't sure when I first responded to your post, but Art has cleared up the point of a subframe hoe not being produced for your tractor. If you have the time to look around it might be worth your time to visit a dealer who has a later model tractor with a subframe hoe mounted on it for display. I have not watched a Kubota subframe hoe being mounted or dismounted from the tractor, but I have put my Deere hoe on and off dozens of times. Both Kubota and Deere use in principle the same basic design for attaching the hoe unit to the subframe. Once the subframe is on the tractor, it is a less than ten minute job without any heavy lifting to mount or dismount the hoe. Frank. ....

View my Photos
EMERICHSALES
Posts: 75 187 Valentine Road, Charlton/Ballston Lake, NY 12019

2008-02-25          151675

The original Backhoe for the Kubota L3010 is the BL4690 but I would look into a BushHog or Woods brand with a SubFrame mount. You could always trade it in on the New Kubota Grand L-40 Series, Which takes a BH90 Backhoe. You can take it on and off in minutes.
Kevin ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-02-29          151774

Pillage,
I want to add to Joel's suggestion. You probably will not find an excavator that is in great condition for the same price as the backhoe attachement but you may, auctions and the construction industry right now may help you on that.

The excavator has it limit with travel speed compare to the tractor and backhoe. Three miles an hour is high speed travel for all those machines I have seen specs on. So if you would want to run out a mile or so from shed and do a little work, say an hour or such, your travel time if you were driving it would about as long as your job site time. So trailing it becomes more of an issue. You also are dealing with a track machine compared to a wheel machine and each has advantages. The excavator has better visibility at least for the left side of the boom as normally you rotate with the boom (not always) but the right side has lower visibility while on the backhoe you are sitting straight behind it. You can have 360 degree roation with the excavator while with backhoe of course you don't.

If one person will be working by their self to me the combo machine has an advantage in both front end loader (FEL) and the backhoe are there. If you and your dad would be working together, boy two machines have their advantage as digging often has a need for a loader working to move either material away or to it depending on what is being done.
Where am I getting, before you decide, operate both. If you decide on excavator buy one with blade. kt ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-02-29          151777

Kthompson,

This one sold for $6300.00 back in January of 2008.

If the picture link doesn't work, you can see this item by clicking on the following web link, and then going to lot number 356.

Joel

Link:   Proxibid Mini Excavator Lot # 356

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Backhoe options for Kubota L3010

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-02-29          151778

And this one sold for $1600.00 at a recent auction.

Joel

Link:   Proxibid Cub Cadet Backhoe Lot # 1112

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors Backhoe options for Kubota L3010

View my Photos
pillageTHENb

2008-02-29          151781

All of that is great input!! I especially like the ideas of the excavator... I looked into many different auctions and sales within 100 miles or so of us and there wasn't anything that really stuck me as a "deal" or really exactly what we need. After talking all of this over with my dad we decided that although there would be certain advantages to a separate excavator that it might be nice to not have two engines to worry about and maintain. Plus at this point he doesn't really have a place to keep another piece of equipment that size. Anyway he said that the "matched brand" idea made a lot of sense and he really wanted to try to stick with a Kubota hoe as long as the price was similar.

So a few trips to the kubota dealer and a whole lot of looking in books and online and one phone call to Kubota in Japan to clarify it was decided that the only Kubota hoe that fits this tractor is the BL4690B for just over $6,000. It is a three point hitch mount and that is the only option (that's why he called Kubota directly, he wanted to make sure there was no subframe option).

To get to the point of the story we (my dad) put a deposit on the BL4690B with a 10" bucket, they did not have any in stock so we're still waiting to see when it will get here. For $100 the're going to come out to my dads (35 miles?), pick up the tractor, take it to their shop, install all the hydraulic lines and whatever else it might need (another $100-$300 for the "install"), install the hoe, give us an overview of everything and take it back out and drop it off!

We get the peace of mind that the hoe and the tractor are meant for each other. I talked pretty extensively with the dealer about going with different brands and he had similar sentiments. In the end we wouldn't have saved too much anyway going with another brand. We could have saved by going used, but it was easier and a little "scary" to buy new.

Thanks again to everyone for all the awesome advice and info! I will try to keep you posted about process! We have some pretty interesting projects lined up... I'll try to share pictures!

thanks again!
-Logan ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-02-29          151784

Logan, one big suggestion.
If they are taking the tractor into their shop, see if it is time for any service work that you would want them to do. Will cost less if on same trip.

Have no doubt that your Dad will thank you and be pleased. kt ....

View my Photos
pillageTHENb

2008-02-29          151788

Good call!! I will definitely do that! Thanks! ....

View my Photos
pillageTHENb

2008-03-04          151903

My oh my! So this thing is far from over! Here's the story: Two days _after_ we ordered (and payed 25%) for the BL4690B Kubota Back Hoe we got a call from the dealer informing us that Kubota apparently no longer makes that hoe, in fact they no longer make ANY backhoe for the L3010 tractor. I don't know why when he called Kubota (Their Japan office mind you!) and the three of us were standing there with the Kubota guy on the phone asking questions about a sub-frame for the L3010 and the BL4690B and confirming compatibility that they didn't tell us that they DON'T MAKE IT ANYMORE!! I am still a little floored that that little fact somehow slipped by the rep on the phone, he WAS looking up information for us about that tractor and that hoe.

Anyway enough of that rant. So our local dealer did a little research for us and came up with a Bradco 365 (which Bradco happens to still make!). He said that the bradco/kubota combo was highly recommended. It was a little bit of a relief that that same suggestion is what I had found in several places on the internet prior to this whole escapade. When I was getting the original price (of the Kubota hoe (before we bought it)), just to see what I was up against I asked them to price a Bradco for me...It was also a little bit of a relief (more of a relief) that the price he quoted me today is $944 LESS than the price I was told the first time I went in (by a different person who very well may not have know what he was doing).

So just as I thought this whole thing was done and over (and was getting REALLY excited to see that new hoe) I basically have to start over again. Luckily (thanks mostly to everyone here) I have a little more knowledge under my belt this time around.

So now I am considering the Bradco 365 with a 3PH (look at me using tractor abbreviations!!) and no subframe (apparently not an option). This one does not run of the PTO in the back (as did the Kubota), it runs off the same hydraulics that the rest of the tractor uses (I can't figure out if this is a good thing or a bad thing). The reach is slightly less than the Kubota and the price is very slightly more. They would still do the initial install for us (and a "go-over" of the whole thing to catch any fixing that might need to be done while we have it in town).

So now that my story has changed what do you guys think? I've been learning a whole lot here, thank you so very much!

-Logan ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-03-04          151904

Logan,

There are two ways of looking at this situation.

1. It's nice to have remote hydraulic outlets installed on the rear of your tractor. The remote outlets can be used for many different implements, other than just the backhoe. For example, you will have hydraulic ports available for running a 3-point mounted log splitter, or depth gauge wheels on a pull-type cultivator. There are just too many other implements that use the rear remote hydraulic ports to mention here. However, the most common "implement" used on the smaller tractors is a hydraulic top link. If you haven't used one before, you might want to look into one. They're very handy, and absolutely necessary when running a cement mixer mounted on your 3pt hitch.

2. The downside to having a remote powered backhoe is that your flow rate (gallons per minute) is going to be greatly reduced. The PTO powered hydraulic pumps generally produce about twice as much flow per minute. If your tractor's pump puts out 8 gallons per minute, a PTO pump might put out 15 or more.

Additionally, the hydraulic fluid in your tractor can never be contaminated by dropping a hydraulic line in the dirt. The oil in the backhoe's reservoir might get contaminated, but the tractor will be isolated from the backhoe when using a PTO powered pump. A little dirt or water won't hurt your backhoe, but it would destroy the pump in your tractor. Contaminated oil may also take out your PTO pump, but they can be replaced for about 400 dollars. A tractor repair will cost you at least twice that amount.....more likely 4 times the cost.

The decision to go in either direction is entirely up to you. There are good and bad things to say about both setups. You'll have to weigh out the differences and choose the setup that best suits your needs.

Joel ....

View my Photos
pillageTHENb

2008-03-04          151907

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 151904
The decision to go in either direction is entirely up to you.There are good and bad things to say about both setups.You'll have to weigh out the differences and choose the setup that best suits your needs.Joel

Yeah, I figured that there would be pros and cons to both situations (otherwise both situations wouldn't exist right?).

Does the GPM affect mostly the speed at which you can move? I assume it does not affect the power in any way.

Now that I think about it, there is a box with hydraulic lines mounted on the rear fender... we've never used it/had anything to use it with, but it sounds like that might save us a little money (assuming that it is what we need for the hoe).

Thanks!
-Logan ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-03-04          151910

Logan,

You're absolutely correct. The speed of operation is the only thing affected by the lower rate of fluid flow coming from your tractor's internal pump. This may be a good thing, since your hoe will be attached to the three-point hitch. It will give you time to halt operations, should something cause you a problem.

The only thing to watch out for is hydraulic leaks. Being that your hoe will be operating off of the tractor's hydraulic fluid reservoir, you'll need to carefully watch your tractor's fluid levels. I would advise that you also try to keep the hose ends as clean as possible, so that you don't contaminate the tractor's hydraulic fluid.

Joel

View my Photos
KubotaRick

2011-06-11          178950

I would like to bring this topic back up as I am looking to purchase a Kubota L3010 with loader and hope to add a Backhoe to it. Does anyone else have any input as to if this is a good idea, what backhoe is best, etc. also the tractor is a 2002 L3010 HST, L1750 Loader, has 210 hours, and is in extremely good shape, for $12,000, does the price seem in line. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Rick ....

View my Photos
Icyman

2011-06-21          179113

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubotaRick | view 178950
I would like to bring this topic back up as I am looking to purchase a Kubota L3010 with loader and hope to add a Backhoe to it. Does anyone else have any input as to if this is a good idea, what backhoe is best, etc.also the tractor is a 2002 L3010 HST, L1750 Loader, has 210 hours, and is in extremely good shape, for $12,000, does the price seem in line. Any info would be greatly appreciated, Rick

I've had the woods7500 3ph for 4 years. I dug 3 footings with it. I've never had an issue with the 3ph set-up. But a word of advise, Don't let anyone else use it. Don't loan it out. When I use it I pay very close attention that I'm not putting the 3ph in a bind. Also, if someone mistakenly lifts the 3ph that could prove very costly. the 3ph is left all the way down.
The woods7500 is PTO driven. It's still kinda slow for my taste so I could only imagine how slow a backhoe running off the tractor hydraulics would be. I bought it used and have had to replace 4 hoses already. There is a flaw in the design, IMO, as the lines rub the metal on the tractor at the first bend. If I used it more I would coat the metal with something to stop the abrasion.
All things considered, I'm happy with the woods7500. It's made life a lot easier. I hate renting equipment.
As for the price, go to the local dealer and give them a chance to win your business. if they can't compete then you found your answer. My L3010 is a 1999 model with 620 hours. so 250 hours is extra low but verify the maintenance has been done. When I bought my L3010 new the dealer let me make $1000/month payments for 6 months then financed the rest with Kubota. I was using it on a project so it was a break even for me vs paying a subcontractor. The dealer told me I could bring it back any time and walk away from the deal. So Kind of like rent to own. And then he said "but you won't". He was good. and he was right. ....

View my Photos
EMERICHSALES
Posts: 75 187 Valentine Road, Charlton/Ballston Lake, NY 12019

2011-06-22          179120

I would say that $12,000 for a 2002 L3010 with only 210 hours should be a good price. There are alot of Good backhoes on the market , Woods, Bush Hog, Bradco , Etc. Just make sure its the proper size that the Backhoe manufacture recommends for the Kubota L3010! Also make sure that it is a Subframe mount and NOT a 3-point hitch mount. I would also recommend going with a PTO Pump for your hydraulics.
Kevin ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2012-07-13          184245

this thread is useless ....

View my Photos
taogden

2012-10-18          185216

Another would be Iron Planet, I have had very good luck there. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2012-10-20          185239

I'd recommend a 7 or 7.5 hoe on that size tractor chassis. ....

View my Photos
billtreat

2012-10-30          185348

I have an L3410 3pt lift on it, make your own mount to the fram, i did 3pt only lifts it, the mount prevents it from moving back and forth no slop. Works fine with a hoe. Is not a quick on and off item. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login