Go Bottom Go Bottom

WHAT TRACTORS DO I WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM

View my Photos
RAYPILLER
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-10-11          180790

WHAT TRACTORS BRAND WOULD BE A GOOD INVESTMENT?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-10-11          180792

Buying new or used? What size? What will you use it for?

Other things being equal, choose a brand that's popular in your area and has good dealer support. ....

View my Photos
RAYPILLER
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-10-12          180809

i am buying used for a small farm ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-10-12          180815

Maybe you're not sure what use you'll put it to. You could discuss this with local farmers and neighbors, both to get advice and to put the word out on what you're in the market for. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-10-12          180816

Concur. Selecting the right tractor is a sequential process. First you have to determine WHAT you intend to use it for. And not only now, but consider things that you MIGHT want to use it for in the future. If they're row crop tasks, you need a row crop tractor. If they're light tasks, you may get by with a compact utility (typically 15-40hp or so). For heavier tasks, go straight utility tractor (typically 45hp and up). Then decide if your tasks include the need for a front loader. Because IF you buy used, it's always better to get a tractor that's already loader equipped.

Acreage is also a consideration. If it's more than a hobby farm - say 20ac or larger - stay out of the compact market altogether. Another maxim is that it's better to have too much tractor - than not enough. And finally, consider shelter. For example; I wanted a bigger John Deere, simply because of the previous maxim. But the 4000 series I REALLY wanted was too tall for my shed door. So I had to settle for the 3000 series.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-10-12          180817

They have said it but will echo it: be sure you have support for it. Dealership is good but for certain parts. One label of shop probably will work on another label of tractor but no one can without parts. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2011-10-13          180854

Based on the ongoing thread on this site detailing tractors that break in half, I would run as fast as possible from anything painted BLUE. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-10-13          180855

Partially true, I've read of the issue in both New Holland and pre-2010 Lenar compacts; both blue of course. But the issue in both cases seems to be limited to pretty specific model lines. The few problem models excepted, overall I think it's still safe to "buy blue"

//greg// ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2011-10-13          180857

I've understood that the "Blue" and "Red" tractors are basically the same from CNH and wonder why we never hear of the problem on "Red" tractors. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-10-13          180861

YP, Art would be great to chime in on this but think in the models the breaking is with they are not made by the same people. Think the size breaking of the blue might be smaller than what Case at least did have about 10 or so years back. No idea now. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login