Go Bottom Go Bottom

Disengaging 4WD on JD4310 HST

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-24          80968

Whenever I engage/disengage 4WD I don't feel anything different or hear anything engage/disengage. The owners manual says you may hear a "pop" when you engage 4WD. So the other day I tested by tilting the bucket forward to raise the front wheels. I engage 4WD and the front wheels turn when I hit the forward pedal. Then I shut 4WD off, press the forward pedal and again the front wheels again start turning. Sometimes I think my tractor is in 4WD most of the time. Does it take a while for 4WD to disengage?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Abbeywoods
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-24          80972

My 4610 usually clunks within five seconds of hitting the switch to "off." I tried the bucket thing and my front wheels stop after a brief coast down. They spin with just a slight drag when out of MFWD. Sounds like it may be time to talk to the dealer. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-24          80982

I don't recall hearing a pop on mine when switching in and out but I do spend most of my time in 4wd. It's pretty obvious to me when 4wd is turned off by the way it behaves in dirt, but I've never tried the bucket test you describe. Does your 4wd light go on and off? Does the diagnostic light flash any codes? ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-24          80989

Hmmmmm. I never hear a clunk when I disengage. Maybe the wheels turn but it's just drag. Could be. I do know that there have been situations in past where I was convinced it was engaging/disengaging from just the performance like you suggest Ken. The 4WD light goes on and off - no diagnostics codes. Everything is probably OK - I just get nuts about this stuff sometimes. But I will do some more checks. I just want to make sure everything works properly this year before my warranty expires. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-03-24          80994

I know most 4x4 trucks need to wait five seconds, put in netural, turn the steering a little bit each way and the drive off. Or at least that the way my fire house wants us to do when driving the 4x4 utilies. Try turning the steering wheel a little bit. Which turns the drive shaft. So any friction holding the driveshaft will stop. So its not in 4x4. I usally run in 4x4 when doing anywork. When driving around in 2x4 to reduce wear. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-03-24          81019

Abbeywoods

I was gonna say my 4610 clunks when engaging FWD but you beat me to it. It also has a very-so-lightly small clunk when I disengage it. ....

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-03-25          81050

I notice a small 'clunk' on the front axles when disengaging on a 4310. It is more noticeable if the front
wheels are under some load (like holding on a slight incline)

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-27          81331

Just had a fabulous day on my tractor. Great weather, used the backhoe to level a new road down to my lower yard. There is no question that my tractor is stuck in 4WD. I left the switch in two wheel drive all day and my front tires were grinding away in the dirt. I will be calling the dealer this week. Better to be stuck in 4WD than 2WD I guess. I just don't want to lose use of my tractor. I have jobs to finish. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-27          81336

If you're so inclined you might crawl under the tractor and visually examine the wiring and connections just to make sure something didn't come loose. It seems to happen from time to time. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-27          81337

You know Ken, I would guess you might be right. Its probably something simple. I wonder if, when I was brush hogging, I caught a stick and something pulled apart. I was under the tractor to service it this winter. I didn't see anything obvious then. But I will take a look again tomorrow. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-30          81610

Ken, I took your advice and spent some time under the tractor looking for loose wires. I found a two wires hanging that pulled out of a plug (not the way they were suppposed to be pulled). They were connected to what appeared to be a switch just above the mid PTO which linked to a hydraulic tube that went underneath the tractor - to the other side - and powered a piston that looked like it might engage the 4WD.

I called the dealer to see if it was OK to try to put these wires back in the plug (I wasn't sure which one went in which hole.) They said "go ahead" give it a try , it couldn't do any harm. I tried yesterday but couldn't manage to get the wires in the plug properly (so that the other half of the plug would make contact with the wires). So I called the dealer and they're picking up the tractor Thursday AM.

While they have it - I'm having them fix a light that never worked, adjusting the rockshaft arms so that I can hook the backhoe up without forcing the bucket into the ground (previous thread), and I have asked to have the rental upgrade kit installed. I'll let you know how it all works out.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-30          81613

It sounds like a simple fix. I don't know why, but on some of these the wires aren't tucked up and tied out of the way. If I can ever get a dry day when I don't have a bunch of other work to do I'll install the rental upgrade kit that's sitting in a box in the garage for that extra bit of protection. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-30          81619

Ken, by the way how do you like the backhoe? I really have a lot of fun with that. It adds a whole new dimension to what you can do with the tractor.

Joe ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-30          81624

Joe, it is SO cool! It took me about 20 minutes to get the hang of it. The first stump I took out was about an 8" fir stump and it took about 15 minutes. The second was a six incher and took about five minutes. I'm really gonna enjoy the backhoe. My only regret is not getting it rolled into the original package. That probably cost me a few hundred bucks. Oh well, I'm a happy camper now! ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-03-30          81633

Ken,
I don't see any backhoe photos in your profile yet ???
Will they be coming soon? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-30          81636

Vince, I gotta do that. I am intending to chronicle the installation of the rental upgrade kit, and I'll take some backhoe pics at the same time. Just waiting for a dry day now so I can work outside comfortably - the garage is too jam packed to work in there! ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-08          82534

Well, saw my tractor at the dealer today. They fixed the problem. It did turn out to be the pulled wires underneath the tractor. The 2 wires pulled out of a plug that they couldn't get from JD so they bypassed the plug and hardwired the connection. Not a preferred solution but it works. And there was no charge except for pickup and delivery fee. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-09          82560

Good to hear it was nothing too serious. It's strange that you can't get the plug from Deere - maybe they want you to buy an entire harness or something. I assume by hard wired they crimped some connectors on the wires and plugged them in individually. That should work and if they get caught again it will be easy to fix. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login