Go Bottom Go Bottom

4310 PTOs

View my Photos
Johnno
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-24          62593

I just ordered a 4310 with midmt pto and I was wondering if I could run both PTO's at the same time, for my rmm and my mmm. I think this might make a nicer cut but for now I will have to wait on the experiment for another week or so.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4310 PTOs

View my Photos
johnwolfe.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-24          62597

i have the 4310 and i believe in the manuel it says you have to turn the rear pto on then the mid pto to actually run the mid one. although running two implements at the same time im not sure about. ....

4310 PTOs

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-24          62598

The rear PTO turns when you engage the mid PTO. Pull the mid PTO knob FIRST, then pull the rear PTO knob. This will engage the mid PTO but the rear will be turning as well. If you pull the rear PTO knob first, then ONLY the rear PTO turns. DO NOT pull or attempt to actuate the mid PTO during this use as this may cause gear clash. Disengage PTO in reverse order of knob selection. Turning off the rear PTO knob turns off BOTH mid and rear PTO. I am not sure this is such a good idea doing this as there may be some safety concerns with confusion of "switchology" should you need to turn the PTO off in a hurry in an emergency and the intial engagement load of 2 PTO impliments may or may not be within design criteria of the tractor. The John Deere dealer can best advise you on this. ....

4310 PTOs

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-24          62603

I think you could run two implements at the same time but they would both have to be smaller than the normal size.

You only have so much horse power to go around. ....

4310 PTOs

View my Photos
Peters

2003-08-24          62609

I guess I could see it if you wanted to run an offset mower. I would think it might depend on how it engages if it is gear or hydro. Most have a option so you can run both, the 955 has a 3 position lever.
Peters ....

4310 PTOs

View my Photos
Neophyte

2003-08-24          62612

You opened up a can of worms with this one!

This "feature" has always annoyed me about the 4210/4310/4410 tractors. It is also done this way on the Kubota Grand L30 tractors. The term is a "semi-independent" mid-PTO, which means that you need to engage the rear PTO in order to engage the mid-PTO. Personally, I think this a poor design. With this configuration you can have the rear only or mid & rear together. However, you cannot run the mid-PTO only.

Many other tractors have the ability to choose your combination of PTO enagements, such as the 4010/4110/4115 and NH tractors. These tractors have a mid-PTO which is not dependent upon the rear PTO being engaged. With this configuration you can have the rear only, mid only or rear & mid together. Personallym, I think this is a safer and more efficient way of doin things.

With the 4310, if you have a MMM and tiller (or any other PTO device) attached, the tiller will be operating while you are mowing the lawn. Obviously, this is dangerous and should not be done. Therefore, you would need to remove the tiller or remove just the PTO shaft. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login