Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Mopardan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-04-13          161988

Last fall while helping a friend push up some brush, my 2002, 4410 stopped moving under load. I changed the suction side filter, trans filter, and cleaned the screen (which was clean). I can drive it, but under load it acts like the trans is slipping. With the loader against a solid object, it won't even spin the tires in low gear. HELP!
I forgot, it has the power reverser trans.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-13          161989

The panel on the right fender has a light that may be flashing an error code, a combination of long and short flashes. If that is flashing a code post it here and I'll look it up in the tech manual tonight.

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Mopardan

2009-04-13          161990

Thanks for reply. I went out and ran it for a while and tried to push an old stump. It spun the tires in 2nd gear B range, but we've had soo much rain the ground was soft. Did not see a code flash, but when I went from 2nd to 3rd quickly, I felt it "slipping" before it caught up. It actually kinda slowed down until I let of on the throttle. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-04-13          161995

That transmission receives its oil supply from the power steering return line. There's a filter on that line - if it plugs up the bypass opens and directs the flow to a "lube circuit" bypassing the control valves. Is that the filter you meant when you said you changed the transmission filter? ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-13          161997

After reading a bit more... there are a few pressure tests that can be done to diagnose the system. The other possibility is that the forward proportioning valve is going out but I think the pressure tests are used to diagnose that. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Chief

2009-04-13          162002

Sounds to me like the clutch packs in the power reverser transmission are slipping or may have blown a packing. You need to troubleshoot this before any more use. How many hours are on this tractor? ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Mopardan

2009-04-14          162011

It has 555 hrs on it, and it does it in foreward and reverse. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Chief

2009-04-14          162014

Unless you have the hydraulic pressure test gauges, special tools, and a John Deere shop manual/CD, I strongly recommend you take this tractor to the your Deere dealer and have them check this problem out. It could be something as simple as a pressure adjustment or it could require major tractor surgery and remove of the reverser clutch pack drum assembly for rebuild. The more you operate the tractor under these conditions, especially if you let the transmission slip, the more you risk causing internal damage and or wear that may be avoided. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Mopardan

2009-04-14          162024

Yeah, I afraid this may be out of my "shade tree mechanic" league. Been putting it off because of the money, but your right it could wind up costing me more. Thanks ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-04-14          162026

Are you sure it's a trans issue? I know of two that had ring-and-pinion shattering. It may not be shattered---yet, but could be on its way out, binding up, and the clutch slipping (I'm not a green guy so I may be talking out my...) ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-04-14          162027

Ya know, the fact that the problem occurred when you were moving brush might provide a clue. Being electronically controlled, it could be that a stick tore an electrical connection loose (that seems to happen at times with eHydro transmissions). Or, it could have bent a piece of linkage, or kinked a hydraulic line, or even jammed itself in the linkage somewhere where it's limiting movement. It might be worth a try to crawl underneath with a good light and carefully examine all the linkages, wiring and hard lines. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Mopardan

2009-04-14          162031

I was planning on 1 more look around before loading her up. Take the loader and side engine covers off. Might even take that hyd oil filter cover off and inspect those solenoids under there. I appriciate everyone trying to help me out! ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Chief

2009-04-14          162032

I was of the presumption that you had already more or less done this. In that case, I strongly second what Ken suggested. Wires being torn off of servo heads and other areas is no uncommon on these tractors. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Mopardan

2009-04-15          162078

I did look it over pretty good while back, but it was cold winter time and no shop. Didn't see anything obvious. I off tomorrow and gonna check everything. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Mopardan

2009-05-02          162480

Update> Carried the tractor to the dealer on 04/21. After explaining what it was doing, the mechanic said it sounded like the clutch packs. Called them on 04/29, and they haven't got to it yet. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
jdgreen

2009-05-02          162484

I just read your post. I am wondering if you might have bent your clutch pedal linkage. There is a rod that connects the clutch pedal to the clutch valve. I had one that got bent and it did not allow the clutch to engage fully. I bent the rod back and adjusted for full travel of the linkage. Problem was cured. The shop that worked on it before, had it a month and never got it fixed. Should have been a ten minute fix. Hopefully your dealer checks that first. It is unlikely that the forward and reverse clutch packs would go bad at the same time. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
Mopardan

2009-05-08          162617

Got tractor back this am, and wanted to share this information in case it could help someone else. The tractor does not have a clutch linkage. It has what is called a potentiometer which is a sensor that tells it the clutch pedal position. It was out of calibration and basically would be like riding your foot on the clutch (when you weren't) Replaced it and all is well. ....

JD 4410 trans issue

View my Photos
jdgreen

2009-05-08          162618

Glad to hear it was a fairly simple repair. I didn't realize they started using the electronic clutch control on the 4x10 series reverser. The 4x00 series had a rod. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login