Go Bottom Go Bottom

New member Ted from Connecticut

View my Photos
szypulsk
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-15          157283

Hello all!

I own an old but small Sears Suburban yard tractor made in 1968 by Roper, but I joined this forum because I now have access to a John Deere 970 tractor with 80 loader and 8A backhoe. It also has power steering and MFWD.

The JD belongs to my neighbor. Her husband, who I knew for over 20 years, died of cancer about four years ago at the age of 59. He loved his 970, and even helped me on my property back in 1991, when he bought it new. I finally worked up the nerve to ask his wife if I could rent it last year. I was building my new workshop (40'x36') and wanted to do a lot of cleanup landscaping. She said I couldn't rent it, but I could use it whenever I wanted for free! What a sweet person! One of the main reasons her husband bought the tractor back in 1991 was to maintain their 1/4 mile long gravel driveway. Now that's my job, as thanks for letting me use the tractor. I'm also doing all the maintenance I can to it.

Anyway, it was fully serviced by JD in 2005, but I've put about 20 hours on it since August, and I decided to perform more maintenance. I have about 40 years experience working on cars, and I'm an engineer, so I'm not timid about doing mechanical work. So far I've...
* Straightened out the front grille screen and repainted it JD green.
* Replaced the backhoe seat
* Found and repaired a hydraulic pump leak
* Greased the 38 or so zerk fittings on the tractor and accys
* Oiled everything listed in the owner's manual
* Checked the air filter
* Checked the coolant
* Tightened the fan belt
* Cleaned the hell out of it with my pressure washer
* Set tire pressure
* Bought JD owners manuals for the 970, 80 and 8A
* Purchased JD oil filters and 15W40 CJ rated oil - oil change this weekend
* Obtained past service history from her files, and started a new Excel spreadsheet of all the service I do to it
* Bought a tarp and bungies to cover it when it's not being used (last year)
* Replaced tooth on bucket and bought spare
* Bent back cylinder rod protectors on backhoe stabilzers

About 50 hours of use ago she had the JD dealer do a full service, which included changing the hydraulic fluid and filter and cleaning the screen. He also did much of the service I've repeated above, and also replaced fuel filters, checked the MFWD oil levels, and some other work.

Anyway, do you guys recommend anything else I may have missed? I'll be returning it to her driveway in the next two weeks and I want to make sure it over-winters well and is ready for more work next year.

I just LOVE using it, and I'm getting better and better at using the backhoe. I found and extended my water well cap above grade this year. The 970 was great as I dug around looking for the well head, buried four feet below grade. I managed to find it and dig it out for the service work without damaging it!

Ted

PS - the tractor was made in 1991 and has only 519 hours on it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-15          157290

Welcome to Tractorpoint, that sounds like a sweet deal you've got going there. Good for you for taking care of it so well for her and watching out for your neighbors.

You've got it pretty well covered. I'd recommend that you use Stabil and Power Service in the fuel on a regular basis to keep water and algae at bay and increase the cetane rating in todays low sulfur fuels. Keep the fuel tank full to minimize the amount of condensation that will build up.

Inspect the hydraulic hoses for cracks and be sure they are routed well so they don't pinch and burst (I had one of those a few weeks ago). Retract all the hydraulic cylinders and, where feasible, strap them up to keep the shafts bathed in oil.

Not sure what implements you have but it's always a good idea to wash them off at the end of the season, give 'em a good greasing, store them off the ground (pallets work well) and cover em up.

That's all that comes to mind but I'm sure others will chime in. ....

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-15          157292

Welcome Ted, great family we have here and glad to have you aboard. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-15          157293

Ted,

As mentioned earlier, please pay careful attention to the fuel cans and the fuel tank.

ANY moisture buildup can cause all kinds of grief for you in the future. This also pertains to any fuel storage containers you have around.

It's always best to fill the fuel tank immediately after you shut down the tractor, rather than filling it up prior to the next use. This limits the amount of air space in the container, and the air is where the moisture buildup comes from. It's never a good idea to leave an "almost empty" fuel can sitting around. Far better to keep the fuel cans full at all times.

A good biocide, such as those contained in certain diesel fuel additives, work well at keeping the bacteria growth in check. I've been using Power Service products for more than 8 years without any problems. Add it to both your tractor fuel tanks and storage containers.

Also, be sure your antifreeze is good to at least 10 degrees below the expected lowest temps found in your area during the winter. A simple specific gravity meter will suffice for this. It contains 5 or 6 colored indicators, each of which will float, once the proper mixture of antifreeze is reached.

Nice to have you aboard.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login