Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4430 overheating

View my Photos
robhail
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-09-18          145850

baught a 4430 (10 years ago) when bought the engine was overhauled, it ran hot from day one, changed turbo still hot, cleaned radiator out and flushed system and still hot does anyone have any ideas?? it has always ran hot, i'm tired of stopping in the field and waiting for it to cool off, it runs in the red after about one round of discing.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-19          145852

Robhail,

Several people, with all types of tractors, have written in with a similar problem. In most cases, the cure is as easy as blowing out the radiator fins with a high pressure air wand.

If you haven't blown out your radiator, please do this first......before doing anything else. 9 times out of 10, this is the problem.

These little tractors don't have large radiators. It's very easy to accumulate enough dirt, in just one mowing, to cause an overheat problem.

When using the air wand, blow from the fan side of the radiator out toward the front of the radiator. Be sure to rotate the fan as you work, so that you can access all of the fins.

Also, please be sure that you have your hood and side covers in place. These covers are necessary to help keep any dirt out of your radiator. It's always surprising to hear how many people remove the hood, and even the side covers, in an attempt to solve an overheating problem. This will only cause the problem to get worse.

If you routinely clean your radiator and radiator screen with an air hose, we'll have to dig a bit deeper, but a radiator that's packed with dirt and grass clippings is usually the culprit.

Please stop in again. There are many people here who gladly offer suggestions and advice.

Joel ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-09-19          145855

You mention that you cleaned and flushed the radiator. The pour in radiator flush treatments just don't clean the core like having it taken apart at a radiator shop and having the core "Rodded", (In other words mechanicly clearing each core tube with a rod). Likely what is hapening is the core being partially blocked is restrictinmg the flow to the point that your lower hose is collapsing at full RPM. Factory lower hoses have a spring on the inside to prevent this, perhaps a replacement hose was put on prior to you buying the tractor that doesn't have the spring also. I had the identical experience with a used 4850, this all sounds real fimmiliar. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-19          145870

When it is hot see if all areas of the radiator are hot, it there are cool areas coolant is not flowing there. Those point and check therometer work good for that. It is hard to believe hardwood is not correct. Surely in this length of time you have changed air filters and all the rest. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-09-19          145877

Joel, I think you're confused a bit, the OP says this tractor is a turbo, and that he bought it 10 years ago with a rebuilt engine, and uses it for tillage work. This is not a CUT.

A 4430 is a 10,000 pound, 125'ish HP 6 cylinder Ag. tractor on 34" rears.

I think Frank is closer to the mark.

But, I wonder if any diagnostics have been done, for instance, when it 'overheats' have you taken a thermometer and actually measured the engine or coolant temperature? I ask because a friend had a machine with a similar problem, the slightest work and it would overheat. He had tried several dealers and mechanics, nobody could find a problem. He asked me about it and I offered my infra-red thermometer.

Problem solved! The engine was at normal temperatures, the sending unit had gone bad and was no longer reading properly, as soon as the engine heated above warm it would go right off the scale.

If it is actually overheating I think Franks idea is the way to go.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-09-19          145903

They were not the easiest on radiators! In the north east they always had the 18-38 or 20.8-38 tires on the rear. We don't dual as much as they do in the west so we go with bigger tires. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-09-20          145913

There is one other possibility that I am sure you have tried, using a lower gear. I would think if you were using too high a gear you would have figured that out by now. But the obvious can be easy to miss. kt ....

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2007-09-22          145975

I have to agree with the radiator clogged internally theory. That is the biggest cause of chronic overheating, although these radiators when new were actually oversized and could stand alot of dirt before overheating. External clogging of the cooling fins can be a problem even if it looks clean. If you have access to a high pressure washer, you might try cleaning with that. Just be sure to direct the flow of water straight from front ot back and back to front. Any angle here can bend over the fins and restrict air flow also. The best way to pressure wash is to remove the radiator from the tractor so you can toroughly clean it. One last thing you don't want to overlook is the water pump. Typically they don't cause problems if the bearing and seal are good, but I have seen the impeller come loose a couple of times and the coolant will not circulate. That reminds me. Have you changed the thermostats? There are two of them on this engine. If you drain the radiator and loosen the fan belt, remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump on the right side of the engine. Then spin the fan by hand and you should be able to heat the impeller sloshing in the coolant left in the water pump. If you do, then I would say the water pump is ok if it isn't leaking or the fan doesn't wobble indicating a loose bearing. ....

View my Photos
leejohn

2007-09-23          145986

Is there anyway the diesel injection timing be just a bit off from the overhaul?
Lee ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login