Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tools for Changing Hydraulic Fluid

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-24          119779

I am coming up on my second hydraulic fluid change at 400 hours (JD4310). The first time I used a 3/8 ratchet with no socket to remove the plug with square hole - but it slipped somewhat when using it. Is there a socket (or other special tool) with a perfectly square tip that won't slip?

Also, the plugs to drain the front axle use a 3/16 hex wrench. My first attempt at loosening these bent the allen wrench so I think I need a socket or other higher quality wrench for these. I am surprised that these are SAE rather than metric sizes.

This is important to me as I need to give my kids ideas for Christmas, birthday and other presents :) By the way - Happy Thanksgiving!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-24          119782

If your 3/8's slipped in a square hole the hole is probably 1/2" Therefor 1/2" ratchet needed. For Allen wrenches go to your local machine shop supply and get a set of quality long handled Allen's.

David ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-24          119783

For allen wrenches in larger sizes I'd advise getting a set of 3/8" drive allen bits. They snap on your ratchet and give a lot better control than the traditional L-shaped allen wrenches. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-24          119784

Certainly nothing wrong with doing a service a little bit early. The service you are referring to is not do until 450 machine hours if you have done all of the other services on time. The first trans. oil change is required at the 50 hour break in service and then every 200 hours there after. ....

Link:   Every 200 Hours

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-24          119791

Notice it says CHECK the oil level not change at 200 hrs. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-24          119792

And change at 400 hrs.

Here is a link for the square sockets that you might need. They are the fourth item down. ....

Link:   square drive sockets

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-24          119794

Oneace, there in lies the rub. I am not sure if it is possible to change the suction filter without loosing a lot of oil and making a big mess. Perhaps the hydrostatic filter. If anyone has already performed this service I sure would appreciate it if they could post there remarks and experience in completing the 200 hour service. If it is possible to change the filters and not loose the oil.....so much the better and less PITA for me! ;O) Thanks for bringing that up Tony. I was thinking the oil may have to be drained to change the filters. That is why I like TP!; it is a great place to always be learning something new! ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-24          119795

Have you tried jacking up the filter side3 of the tractor so you do not loose as much fluid? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-24          119796

Not sure if I like that idea but I will call the Deere shop on Friday or Monday and ask them about this. It would be great if I did not have to change the trans. oil for another 200 hours. I purchased 10 gallons of Shell DONAX TD just in case and have all of the filters. I will be at 250 hours in about another 10 hours. I remember that amount of oil that came out of the suction filter fixture and it was a good bit, even after I had drained the transmission. Could have just been the residual left in the suction tube but sure made me think it would have been more if the trans was not drained. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-11-25          119807

Thank you gentlemen for all your comments. Ahhh, it is called a "male pipe plug socket". Also, I had "400 hours" imprinted in my mind for the 2nd transmission oil replace rather than "every 400 hours". Since I changed the transmission oil late at 100 hours (guilty!) I guess I am good until 500 hours. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-29          120050

A follow up to clear up some questions that arose during the course of this post. As I suspected, the suction filter can be changed but the oil WILL continue to pour out until you get the suction filter properly threaded. Getting the filter "properly threaded" is the key. I remember that I had to repeated attempt to get the suction filter threaded onto the threaded filter mount, it did not want to go on easily. This issue would be compounded and made MUCH worse, attempting to carefully thread the suction filter on while trans. oil is pouring out. In short, there is HUGE potential for a BIG mess. After speaking with the mechanic at the dealership, he tells me that they prefer to drain the oil into a clean catch pan and then change the suction filter. Sounds to me like they have "been there, done that, and got the T-shirt" with respect to the big mess. I am not real warm and fuzzy about pouring used oil back into a VERY expensive transmission even through a funnel with a fine screen strainer (which could take hours). Another example of "well thought out engineering" by John Deere. Thank you John Deere! ;O) Reminds me of why I quite my job working in the shop at a John Deere dealer many years ago. Jacking the tractor to one side will have no effect as the suction screen pickup is centered in the bottom of the transmission case. No amount of jacking will have any effect on remediating the flow of over 9 gallons of trans. oil. I am gonna have to think about this but right now I am leaning towards draining and replacing the trans. oil.

Again, it would be a good bit of info. for everyone else to benefit from if anyone who has actually done the 200 hour service to post their experiences and remarks as to how things actually went hands-on. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-29          120070

I was not saying that jacking the tractor was the cure all. Hell I have never even looked at that part of a john deere before. It was mearly a pondering point for me but in to typed word. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-11-29          120083

Heck Tony, I was pondering too. If I thought jacking it might be a solution to draining 9 gallons of oil; you bet I would give it a try. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login