Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydrostatic drive in cold weather

View my Photos
jonhdeere
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-11          113300

Getting a JD 3120 compact with the hydrostatic drive, was wondering if I'm making a mistake for winter use, My little JD 750 takes awhile to warm up the fluids for the 3 PT and the pwr steering. I keep the tractors in an unheated pole barn and when the temp gets down in the sub teens I'm wondering if all that extra fluid for the new tractor will ever warm up enough to use it for plowing? What are your experiances with Hydrostatic drives in the cold of winter?

Thanks,
Rudy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-11          113304

I started my 4115 several times in "teen" weather last winter. With the idle set at 1800-2000 rpm's it took ten minutes to melt the frost off the top and tilt valves.

I took that as a sign that it was warm enough to drive.

The same controls got very, very warm while plowing snow.

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-11          113315

Had my first winter with my 4310 last winter and had no problems. I did let it warm up at least 5 minutes though to make sure the engine was warm. Had it down close to 0 F with no problems.

My old Oliver 550 was bad in cold temps. I'd have to let it warm up 10 minutes before the 3 pt would move. ....

View my Photos
mudder

2005-07-11          113329

I never have had a problem with hydraulic oil per low temperatures (0-10 degrees), with either my old 4300 or new 4310 tractor(s). I do not know if there is much different between my model vs. your. Also I have never had to use the glow plug system to start the engine. When extremely cold it will smoke a bit for the first 10 seconds or so. My tractor is barned an out of the actual weather. My old 8N however was a different story. I'd give that old thing a good 1/2-hour to warm the thicker oils it used. Perhaps the JDsynthetic oil makes a different? Mudder ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-12          113337

Have a look at my picture # 6, every one of those units is a HST and they work commercially all winter long in the Toronto Canada area.

Not a single problem yet.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jonhdeere

2005-07-22          113751

Thanks for your responses, geting tractor this AM.

Rudy ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-07-22          113756

Sorry about getting to the party late on this post. As already said, the eHydro should not be a problem in cold weather. However,if you are concerned about cold weather use and if it is not too late to negotiate into the price; I would HIGHLY recommend that you get the transmission oil heater, and engine block heater rolled into the deal. Although they are not essential, they are a real plus for being able to get on your machine and go to work without long warm up times. You can probably get the trans. oil heater installed for you during your 50 hour service since the oil needs to be changed (unless there are some changes to the new models) Other goodies such as seat arm rests, work lights, etc. now is a good time to negotiate those into the deal as well. The transmission oil heater will also help to warm up the hydraulics MUCH faster as well. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-22          113759

What???

No mention of a free hat????

Ya' just had to know somebody was slide that in didn'tya now. LOL.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-07-22          113762

Murf!

The minumum standard is hats, coffee cups, pens, and note pads! ;O) Heck! I would be expecting a pair of those nice, fancy lookin' green work gloves to boot! LOL! ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-07-22          113769

An option I got on my 4310 wa a rear facing work light that is focused on the 3 pt area. In winter, I run a combination of the loader and a 6 ft blade. The rear facing light is really nice for hooking up the blade in the dark (if I was too stupid or lazy to do it the day before) and for watching what is going on while clearing snow. It's also nice to provide light to avoid backing into nice objects like the side of your garage, etc. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-07-22          113774

I installed both front and rear facing dual work lights. They are great for work as Iowafun mentioned and the front facing work light really help to see at dusk and night with the FEL installed. The FEL bucket tends to block a good bit of the headlights. The only draw back is WOW! are those work light bug magnets! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login