Go Bottom Go Bottom

ATV side by side Safety

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-10          181595

How safe are side by side ATV's?

<b>How safe are side by side ATV's?</b><br>
<br>
[p]http://tractorpoint.com/ctb/images/atvsafety.jpg[/p]<br>
<br>
<i>"They started out decades ago as handy vehicles for farmers and builders to haul things like lumber and fertilizer.<br>
<br>
But now, with as many as six seats, roll bars, seat belts and cushy bucket seats, so-called side-by-sides have become the luxury sedan of off-roading. They are so popular with families and baby boomers that they are on pace to soon outsell their smaller and better-known cousins — all-terrain vehicles.<br>
<br>
Side-by-sides, which cost about $7,000 to $17,000, are invigorating a power sporting equipment industry that has been clobbered by years of economic malaise and safety concerns. While A.T.V.’s remain far more plentiful, their sales have dropped by two-thirds since they peaked in 2004; side-by-side sales are growing roughly 15 percent this year, industry analysts estimate.<br>
<br>
But with success has come scrutiny — and a probable showdown between safety officials and recreational enthusiasts. While side-by-sides appear to be far less prone to accidents than A.T.V.’s, federal officials are pushing toward mandatory regulations to make them safer. Side-by-sides have been linked to an estimated 160 deaths and nearly twice as many injuries since 2003; A.T.V.’s, by comparison, are associated with 800 deaths and 130,000 injuries a year. An estimated 530,000 side-by-sides and 10.2 million A.T.V.’s were in operation by the late 2000s."</i><br>
<br>
source(NYTimes)<br>

"They started out decades ago as handy vehicles for farmers and builders to haul things like lumber and fertilizer.

But now, with as many as six seats, roll bars, seat belts and cushy bucket seats, so-called side-by-sides have become the luxury sedan of off-roading. They are so popular with families and baby boomers that they are on pace to soon outsell their smaller and better-known cousins — all-terrain vehicles.

Side-by-sides, which cost about $7,000 to $17,000, are invigorating a power sporting equipment industry that has been clobbered by years of economic malaise and safety concerns. While A.T.V.’s remain far more plentiful, their sales have dropped by two-thirds since they peaked in 2004; side-by-side sales are growing roughly 15 percent this year, industry analysts estimate.

But with success has come scrutiny — and a probable showdown between safety officials and recreational enthusiasts. While side-by-sides appear to be far less prone to accidents than A.T.V.’s, federal officials are pushing toward mandatory regulations to make them safer. Side-by-sides have been linked to an estimated 160 deaths and nearly twice as many injuries since 2003; A.T.V.’s, by comparison, are associated with 800 deaths and 130,000 injuries a year. An estimated 530,000 side-by-sides and 10.2 million A.T.V.’s were in operation by the late 2000s."

source(NYTimes)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ATV side by side Safety

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-12-10          181598

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 181595
Side-by-sides have been linked to an estimated 160 deaths and nearly twice as many injuries since 2003; A.T.V.’s, by comparison, are associated with 800 deaths and 130,000 injuries a year. An estimated 530,000 side-by-sides and 10.2 million A.T.V.’s were in operation by the late 2000s."source(NYTimes)

"late 2000s"? What are they talking about?

More intervention by feds, that's what everyone needs.

ATV side by side Safety

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-12-10          181599

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 181598
"late 2000s"? What are they talking about?More intervention by feds, that's what everyone needs.

Yeah funny.... they must have meant late in the first decade of 2000 :) Or we are in a time warp with HG Wells LOL

Dennis

ATV side by side Safety

View my Photos
treeman

2011-12-13          181631

There is a big difference between the utility type like the Kubota RTV/Deere and the sport models like the Razer and Rhino. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login