Go Bottom Go Bottom

Saw 5 new Farmpro s this morning

View my Photos
GaleHawkins
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-20          77398

On the way to work this morning (Murray, KY - near Paducah)I saw 5 new Farmpro's at the unloading dock of a seed company. It is located out in the county and their dock is really great since they ship a lot of seed by Sea/Land type containers so it gets used by others so I am sure some one is setting up a local dealership and this is their drop point.

These tractors were all set up with the folding ROP's with a white top. Since I did not stop I did not read any numbers but they were red and physically the size of maybe the older 3000 Ford tractors. That many end to end were impressive and they looked sharp.

On the "China" subject there was an article in the Tech news yesterday that Japan was seeing capital and their electronic firms move their plants to China. China will be the next world power possibly. The good news perhaps is maybe they will not try to take over the countries buying thier products and kill off thier markets.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-20          77402

Their isn't much being made in this country anymore. I specialize in designing and building fixturing & workholding products for industry. Primarily I design stuff to hold the parts as they are being machined. It is tough finding work these days. A large portion of the stuff that I've built since NAFTA has gone to Mexico. I never see jobs going to the Pacific rim.

Recently I've sold quite a bit of equipment to an American appliance manufacturer that is setting up a new facility. Their line workers are getting paid $1.50/hr., they get free lunch, free snack at afternoon break and some financial help with public transportation. They can't even afford a car.

The problem is, Mexico is losing plants everyday now to China. Everybody in the US says that we are no longer competitive in manufacturing. In those terms, we are not competitive at anything. I'm not willing to work for $1.50 per hour and live without a car and whatever else.

Consumers and Wall Street investors that demand the absolute lowest purchase price and optimum profits are destroying the future of America. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-20          77403

Gotta agree with Pete.

The software industry is being destroyed as well by companies sending jobs to India. I started my own custom software business in 93 and had to turn away customers for the first nine years, but in the last year or two work is mighty hard to find. My wife works at Intel and they have sent thousands of jobs from Oregon to India. Then they create and staff a "communications liason" department just to translate between American engineers and their counterparts in India. So quality goes down and time to market is extended due to communication problems and the moron CEO Craig Barrett has the gall to get up on stage a few weeks ago and say that the high tech industry should pull together to help train more American engineers. Huh? The idiot just laid off thousands of American engineers. Who the heck are these new American engineers supposed to work for? They'd be far better off learning foreign languages and going to work for the communications liason department. To top it off, since communications is such a problem they are talking about sending middle management to India as well!

Sorry for the off-topic rant. ....

View my Photos
HuckMeat

2004-02-20          77404

To continue the off topic rant (perhaps I should put this in pointless and hostile). A little tractor-therapy for myself.

What a small world.

I currently work for Intel, and have been training my replacements in India for the last year. My last day is March 2nd.

Yeah, Craig Barret is a winner. He claims one week that they can't find engineers... And the next that no US jobs are being sent overseas. Yet
I train legions of them. And work myself out of a job.

The small consolation is that they have hired 8 people overseas to do the work of 3 of us here, and the end customer is very unhappy as the new team has not been very effective. I imgaine those 8 still cost less than 3 of us here.

The ironic thing is that India is now losing jobs to Eastern Europe.

Not sure what the right fix is, but I'm actually looking at leaving tech and going back into more classical engineering and getting my PE. At least when somebodys welfare and safety is on the line, people still get nervous about sending it overseas. Either that, or work on something so big and heavy that it's cost prohibitive to ship/outsource.

I really hope that we will never use American military resources to defend the interests of any of these companies.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-20          77407

HuckMeat, sorry to hear about your job. I started an "Intel Bashing" thread in the pointless and hostile board. Care to join? LOL ....

View my Photos
JDF415

2004-02-20          77408

This trend is in tractors as well as computers. JD is now manufacturing the 5003 series tractor in India. They can ship the tractor here and still sell it for 3 to 4 thousand less than the basic same tractor made in Mexico or the USA. The sad part is by purchasing these tractors, American workers are losing jobs. The question is....What do we do about it? Lower prices for goods is what drives the market and EVERYONE wants lower priced goods. So when you purchase these overseas made products you put US workers out of a job, which leaves less (US$) income to be spent to buy US made products which we are tring to sell. It's a downward spiral. Where does it stop? I don't know the answer. I do believe if the unions would come to their senses and stop tring to make US companies pay US workers $30 - $40 per hour, US made products could be produced for less and in return be priced more competetive in the market, therefore increasing the amount of US made products sold and therefore increasing the demand for US jobs. Does this make sense to anyone else? ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-23          77654

It's not just the hourly wage, there are many reasons company's are leaving. To name a few Bush's tax policy's
make it more attractive for company's to go oversea's
and set up an offshore corp.,enviromental laws are non
existant,as well as worker benifits,health ins. workplace
safty conditions,labor laws,(child labor,14 hr days etc.)
Don't blame the unions,they are the reason we have many
of these things in this country. Remember that these conditions existed here at one time.
I for one am glad to be a carpenter in todays job market.

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-23          77664

GaleHawkins, you are just a hop skip and a jump up the road from me. I am near Dover, TN. I have seen these tractors in the Rural King in Clarksville. I here good and bad things about them but am not sure that I would buy one just yet. The jobs going overseas is very frustrating. I am fortunate in this respect in that there is very little chance that my past job or others like it will get shipped over seasea.......although the work frequently was shipped overseas and still is to this day. After 21 years of Army, I retired and my retirement gives me some flexibility to and autonomy from the highs and lows of the job market. ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-02-23          77724

Chief that is close. On the Farmpro's I do not know where they were moved to yet but I will stop and ask at the seed company and post again. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-02-23          77728

I'm up in Dawson Springs, Chief. And I bought one of those units from Clarksville. They're marketed as TractorKings - not FarmPros. And they come down by truck from Rural King's Mattoon (IL) central warehouse.

But I still would like to know where those FarmPros that Gale saw were headed. I'd like to get rid of my 254 for something a little more powerful.

//greg//

USN (Ret) ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-02-25          77917

Greg, today I got a lead on the location of the new Farmpro of Murray dealership and will try to get by there in the morning before I come into work since it will only be about 5 miles out of my way. They are about 8 miles out of town on another highway. It seems to be a father/son business after talking with the father-in-law of the son this morning at the seed company. I will post the models they have in stock. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-02-25          77919

Thanks Gale !!

Hopefully it will be a nice weekend for a drive. I'd like to run over and see what they've got. I think a 354 or 454 shuttle shift would be a lot better tractor (for this property) than the straight geared 254 I've got now.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-02-26          77981

Farm Pro of Murray (E-Mail)
68 Shade Tree Lane
Farmington, KY 42040
(270)489-2697

Greg I got this off of the Farmpro website today. I did visit with James McClure this morning. He had sold Yanmar (low hours from Japan) for past 10 years but due to the source drying up he decided to pick up a line of new tractors that would sale for no more than the price of used Yanmar's of the same size. He has 2420, 2425 and 2430 models(last 2 digits = HP)with prices ranging from near $4K to $8K without loaders. At some point he is to be shipped the 55HP model and quessed the price at $11K+ but nothing concrete at this point. He will be in this Sat and the temp is to be about 60 degrees. Yahoo maps will give you pinpoint location. Mapquest is incorrect. You will see it is about 9 miles west of Murray, KY on the right side of Highway 121 going to Mayfield in the community of Coldwater (Farmington is post office location and about 3 miles farther west). Harold's BQ is only place to eat in Coldwater but it is great southern style BQ at a great price. You will see about 6 FarmPro's on the right side of the road (121) by Shadetree Lane which is 1/4 mile past Baptist Church and BQ place . His house and shop is at the end of that lane. After talking with James for about 30 minutes I would say he is a straight shooter. He was quick to point out both pros and cons of the tractors.

Link:   Link to list of US dealers.

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-02-26          77987

Copy Gale, thanks for the legwork. I'll pay you back if you ever need anything over Dawson Springs way

//greg// ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-05-22          86618

Greg how far are you off the WK Parkway and from which exit? I have go to WV on Monday and thought I would ask how far you are off the Parkway just in case I could take a few minutes to stop by in the noon time range depending when I get out of Murray. If not this time I will make it another. How is the new tractor doing? ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2004-05-22          86619

How far are you off the WK parkway Greg? ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-05-23          86629

I'm on US62, which parallels the WK. Coming from the west, you're best off using WK exit 13 at Princeton. One mile south on KY293, then a left turn on E. Young St takes you two blocks to US62. I'm 8 miles east on 62.

If you're coming from the east, use exit 24 at Dawson Springs. Two miles south on KY109 then right on US62. I'm four miles west on 62. From whichever direction you arrive, the house number is 16507.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
djones4455

2005-02-28          107007

I too am an ex-software developer lucky to escape with my house after software moved to Asia. I'll be going Jinma all the way.

The US, Canada and Euros have been paid too much. At least the US dollar tanked, which brought wages down 20% with nobody noticing. Next the Chinese Yuan gets unpegged from the US $ and their wages will rise 20%.

It will take a while for us to understand that $30/hour is gone for good, and that building carriers should go too. ....

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-03-01          107027

"do believe if the unions would come to their senses and stop tring to make US companies pay US workers $30 - $40 per hour, US made products could be produced for less and in return be" Not to start anything, but that could be said for Intel workers also and a lot of other workers besides. If the big whigs weren't so greedy, we all could make a decent living. Seems like a lot of people blame jobs moving out of the country on union workers, A small percentage of total monies go to union workers compared to other costs in manufacturing. It is a total profit greed that sends work overseas. JohnJ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login