Go Bottom Go Bottom

What size 3 point finish mower

View my Photos
Edwin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-11          127541

Hi Guys,
Getting ready to purchase a 3 point finish mower for my Agracat 2940 25 hp tractor. Anyone have enough experience with these to recommend the proper size? I was wanting to go with a 6 foot unit. Just wondering if that is too much? Or can the tractor handle much more than that. I definately do not want to be overloading the tractor. Any suggestions?
TIA
Edwin

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-11          127544

I would venture to guess that a 6 footer would be a little out of the range for a 25hp tractor. My 5 foot Rear mower is rated for a 25-50hp tractor. I imagine a 6 foot mower would need a little more hp. The acreage and how tall the grass is plays a role also. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-11          127545

My 24 horse Deere is factory rated for a 72" mid mount so I think your tractor will easily run the same size.

Weight should not be a problem as finish mowers have multiple blades and are therefore wide but not so long.

If you tried to hang a single-blade 6 foot rough cut mower off the 3 point you would run into weight/balance issues with 7 feet or more of implement to lift. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-11          127546

Depends on the cutting conditions. If you plan on cutting the grass on a regular basis with good conditions (not wet) you can get by with a 72". If you are planning for it to get 10-12" tall or more go with the 60".

I have a 27HP tractor with 72"MMM and it can cut 6-8" tall grass without a problem (not real thick manacured grass- but more like usually seen at a roadside). You will want to run at rear PTO 540 RPM. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-11          127548

DR and Yooper,
You both have an MMM. Edwin is asking about a Rear finish mower. I'm not sure, would that make a difference? Maybe it's easier for the tractor to operate the MMM vs. the Rear mower? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2006-04-11          127549

Removing price as a factor; I would go with the 6 ft. RFM. It may bog the tractor down in heavier grass but you can slow the cutting rate down to accomodate that. Heavy grass will bog down my 4410 but I just slow down and cut with the machine can handle and increase cutting speed as condition allow. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-04-11          127550

In my opinion with regard to power requirements it shouldn't matter if it is RMM or MMM, if they both are rated as finish mowers. I'm not sure if there is a power efficiency difference between the rear and mid PTOs.

With the RMM, weight hanging out the rear is a consideration and must be countered out front with weights or FEL.

My point is with my 27 gross HP and the other machine with 25 gross HP there is little difference. Cub cadet did offer a 25HP machine and had a 60" MMM max. size offering but had a smaller frame/wheelbase. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-11          127552

Yooper, thanks for the clarification.

So it boils down to either loosing time because of having to make extra passes (with a narrower deck) or loosing time because of having to go slower in thick grass (with a wider deck). If that's the choice, I'd go with a larger deck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-11          127555

edwin,

It has been mentioned here but the grass you are cutting will make or break you in the size tractor you have. I have one just a little larger and use a 6 foot RFM. In most grass fine. In my thickest zoysia it bogs down and it is cut weekly with about an inch being taken off. In my thineer zoysia, also centipede and bermuda grass it has no problem. Also it is not only the height of the grass you are cutting but how low you are cutting. Also speed kills...the faster you want to run the more horses you need.

A factor you did not mention was your yard. A 6 foot mower wants a reasonably smooth one.

A question I can not answer and have no idea so am asking it here, on a RFM is there any difference in power needed on rear discharge compared to side?

View my Photos
kyvette

2006-04-11          127557

Edwin, you need to determine the rear PTO horsepower rating for your tractor. Acquire a mower that is rated at or below the PTO horsepower for your tractor. If you acquire a mower that requires more horsepower than you have you won't be happy.

I would expect your rear PTO to be about 19 - 20HP, depending on your transmission.

Hopes this helps, Dave

View my Photos
RanchHand

2006-04-11          127559

The China Jinma Tractor Horse Power is rated at the PTO, not to the ground.

I think you would be Ok with a 6 foot Finish mower as long as you don't let the grass grow tall enough to need bush hoging.

Ronald
Ranch Hand Supply. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login