Go Bottom Go Bottom

PowerBoss Brush versus brushless Generators

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-24          160562

Is a brushless genset higher quality than a brush based one?

I located a PowerBoss 7,000 KW stable, 12,000 KW surge generator at Costco with a Honda OHV 13HP 390 engine for $1049. This is a Briggs and Stratton based generator, I understand that BS bought Generac and DelVilbiss, don't know if that is good or bad. Comments?

Only thing lacking is low idle control and it has a brush based genset. For the only emergency usage does that really matter?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-02-24          160565

I'd buy a couple extra sets of brushes and then forget about it.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-02-24          160567

When I was a teen ager, yes at the time of the dinosaurs ;), I used to work on my cars alot, been awhile. I remember doing an alternator bearing replacement. When I took it apart to do the bearing replacement, I think I saw moveable metal rectangles rubbing against the axles, those are the brushes, right? Are they spring loaded and can just be popped in ? What is the replacement process? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-02-24          160569

Dennis, my little 6kw genset at the lake is a brush-type generator head.

Last time I noticed it had well over 1,000 hours on it. I've only ever replaced the spark plugs and oil, I've never touched the generator head itself.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login