Go Bottom Go Bottom

Canadian beverage laws

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-26          158153

Being we have been discussing US/Canadian firearm laws, there is probably a big difference in beverage laws too. I'm not really up on the different states rules here, they seem to vary with what the different state legislatures deem proper. As a kid I remember my father needed a liquor book to purchase anything other than beer and only from a state owned liquor store. then liquor by the drink being legal in bars became a big issue till it was approved. Now most every supermarket has a big liquor department.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Canadian beverage laws

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-26          158156

Frank, (pun intended) but you said a mouthful!!! LOL

Here in our part of the world the laws are still, although not as rigidly enforced, pretty draconian by today's standards.

It was only a couple of years ago drinking on a golf course or hotel property (outside of the bar or your room) became legal here.

To this day, it is still technically illegal to stand in front of a window of your house and consume alcohol. Consumption in "open and conspicuous view of the public" is a no-no. Still to this day a licensed establishment must have drapes or frosted windows to prevent us innocent people from seeing people (gasp!!) drinking!! LOL

Although it ok to sit on a licensed patio and drink, go figure!!!

Best of luck. ....

Canadian beverage laws

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-26          158158

Murf; That must be why so much of the whiskey on our shelves is Canadian whiskey, you will be put to shame if someone saw you drinking it. ....

Canadian beverage laws

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-26          158171

Now that explains why I see so many folks walking around with coffee cups!

Although we have not been up there in over a year, I do know it is not cheap to get a drink there. ....

Canadian beverage laws

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-27          158184

Booze laws vary as much among our provinces (Quebec is quite liberal) as among your states, but one common factor is the tax rate in Canada.

But it's relative in time. When I bought my first bottle I had to apply for a one-dollar, one-year liquor permit (which I understood, perhaps incorrectly, was not availale to Indians), take the permit and my cash to a store (not called a liquor store because that word could incite drinking), declare what I wanted over a bare counter, and wait while it was fetched from the back and brought out in a sealed paper bag that had to go in the trunk and could not be opened until privacy.

I's relative in place too. A decade back there was a high-level international conference in Toronto. The liquor regs were relaxed (I think lower taxes and longer hours) for these delegates so they wouldn't feel our repressive stance made them unwelcome. That, as you would expect, caused a lot of fury. Still, if you're seen drinking in some countries, it's just jail if you're lucky. ....

Canadian beverage laws

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-11-27          158185

It's admittedly been a few years. But the last Canadian (BC) establishment I was in, still had two entrances - and a wall separating (what once was) the men's side from the women's side

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login