Go Bottom Go Bottom

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-04-17          153054

Even tho I'm posting on the just for fun form I am serious about my question. Having seen several good familys torn apart fighting over anything from a farm to grandma's old sugar bowl after their parents demise we are doing things to hopefully prevent that. Hopefully God has a few more years planned for us here yet, but the Mrs. and I have been doing things to make the kids less stress when our time comes. We have our lot bought in a cemetary where above ground monuments are allowed. What does a common tombstone cost? Nothing gawdy, but not cheap looking either. Are there good brands, poor brands or materials? Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-17          153055

Frank,

You have really got me now! I have no clue. But if you let the kids use your loader to position the stone you might get a better price ;)

My grandparents had very little but the one thing they did have was two grave plots. For years and years my Papa would say after the family's Sunday dinner, "well lets go visit the property". So the whole bunch of us would go there in our polished cars and take movies and pictures, usually always went on Easter Sunday too. ....

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-17          153060

Dennis; My Parents, Grandparents, and many Aunts and Uncles are buried in the same cemetary as our lots are in. In the case of my parents they had their stone in place many years before they died, so I have no idea what they would have paid for in in probably 1985 or so. Several years ago we toured the LBJ ranch of Presedent Lyndon Johnson. He is buried there in a small family cemetary under a very modest stone, maybe three ft. wide X two ft. tall like you commonly see in any small town graveyard. If that was good enough for Lyndon, it is plenty good enough for us too. Frank. Frank. ....

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-04-17          153062

Frank,

Getting a nice looking piece of granite to North Dakota probably isn't going to be cheap. Therefore, any prices I give you would likely include a whole lot of shipping costs.

About a year ago, Dad was looking to put some granite counter tops on Mom's kitchen cabinets. I made the trip with him to a granite cutting business in Minot, North Dakota. The showroom was loaded with some very nice, but modest tombstones.......ranging in price from 4-10,000 dollars.

The granite cutters add more money to the cost for each letter; each additional cut, feature, base style, engravings, etc. And while the size of the stone does make a difference in price, the real costs begin to show up when selecting the available options.

I'm not so sure the granite engravers didn't pick up a few hints from Henry Ford, at least when it comes to pricing the options out. hehehe.

Joel

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-04-17          153066

I may be out of touch but thought you could get a low end tombstone that's above ground for $2,500.00 or slightly.

My parents originally had a plot in one of those scam cemetaries where they took your money and left. Later we put them in a plot from our church. My mom wanted to be next to her parents and always said she liked the tombstone she bought for her folks. So, my parents have the same style stone and format as my grandparents. Hopefully, they will be happy forever and ever.

If you're looking for a deal, I've got an extra flush marker laying around with bronze coating. Can give you a real deal on it if you and your wife don't mind being called "Ed" and "Helen" for the rest of eternity. hehe!! ....

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-04-17          153079

Tombstones here will run from a couple thousand up as you add design and such. Price also varies as it does with most products from source. So price shop. Also beleive it or not you can find used one, well maybe not used but ones that were engraved and then for some reason are for sale. Did not pay for them, name spelled wrong or they upgraded. They can cut the old name off but, sometimes they bleed back through! My impression depends on holw long it was subject to the elements to absorb through the old lettering. kt

Frank, I have seen the same sad things you mentioned. I have had to make those decisions and it is now my generation as your that needs to be doing such. You are wise in the steps you are taking. ....

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
jbjpam

2008-04-17          153087

My brothers and I are volunteer Sextants for our church cemetery. (I think I am one of the few who get to mow their own grave site.) We layout out the plots for burial and dig and pour the foundations for the headstones. We don't make or sell the
stones but deal with the companies that make and set them.
You can go as little as $300 for a bronze plaque that is embedded in the foundation to many thousands for a large elaborate one. It is up to you and your budget.
As far as keeping the family peace after you go horizontal (inside joke) it is best to make all of those decisions prior to needing to. The "happiest" funerals I have seen are the ones where we deal directly with the person whom we are burying before they die. ....

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2008-04-21          153142

Figure on 3 to 5 thousand for a large polished granite tombstone with some (not a whole lot) engraving (floral motif etc) ....

Buying a tombstone

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-04-21          153149

Thanks to all for your thoughts on the subject. We just this morning were deciding what day next week we are going tombstone shopping. I'll report back. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login