Go Bottom Go Bottom

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-25          145000

Hello friends,

I'm wondering if anyone here might have any experience with the Oliver 1900 Wheatland tractor?

There's one coming up for auction that I have my eye on. It has an early 1960s model with the 4-53 Detroit Diesel engine, rated at 89 horses, and the tractor weighs in at 12,000 pounds! This one comes equipped with dual remote hydraulics, 3pt. hitch, 540 RPM PTO, and 4-Wheel drive......no loader.

Being that I live in an area in which Oliver never had any dealerships, I have no experience with the brand. My area is largely Case IH, John Deere, and more recently, New Holland country.

I'm very interested in this tractor, mainly because it is small and HEAVY. This would be a fantastic snow removal tractor, as well as a heavy puller. At 12,000 pounds, I don't believe I'd have any problem with a lack of traction in the snow.

For anyone who might be interested, here's a photo.

See the link below.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Joel

Link:   OLIVER 1900 MFWD -- See Lot# 43

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-25          145001

I have some new information on this beast.

If I understand things correctly, the Oliver 1900 had a two-stroke, turbo-charged diesel. The sound this engine makes when under power is something that takes a lot of getting used to, as it's apparently very noisy.

Additionally, due to it's extreme weight and high horsepower, it was able to pull an 8-bottom plow.......even without the 4-wheel drive option.

Depending on the feedback I receive from my friends here, I believe I'll have one of these Oliver 1900s parked in my barn within a year or two.

Can't wait to see how well it does at the local tractor pull competition! hehehe.

Joel ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-26          145032

Joel, in our area they were only good for five bottoms at the most normally. The GM diesel is extremely noisy and a loader if new would be around 7500. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-26          145035

Hope you don't have your eye on it anymore, 'cause it sold for $14500. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-26          145036

Art,

Thanks for the info. I'd like to hear that engine run. hehehe.

The tractor I was looking at sold at auction for $14,500. At the last minute, the loader was offered as a separate item. It sold for $2500. I was unable to outbid my competitors. Dang it.

I'm looking for a very heavy tractor, but not too big in overall size. The Oliver 1900 seems about right for me, but I'm willing to consider any tractor that's built like a tank.

Do you know of any similar tractors that you would recommend?

The piece of land I purchased is full of metal, such as car bodies, frames, axles, engine blocks, huge pieces of broken concrete, railroad ties, utility poles, bundles of wire, etc.....and everything is buried under piles of other such debris and garbage.

In the many years since the previous owner used this place as a garbage pit, it has all grown over with several feet of grass and weed roots.

To this point in time, I've been digging up piece by piece, and then pulling the stuff out of the ground using a cable, chains, and other heavy rigging tackle attached to my old pickup, over "A" frames built out of old railroad switching ties. It's working, but it's a slow process.

I'd like to speed up the process a bit, by simply using a tractor with forks on the loader. but any tractor is going to have to be a heavy bugger.

I'm looking for suggestions. Any old tractor with lots of weight and good power is needed. Preferably 4-wheel drive.

The Oliver 1900's weight (12,000) pounds is what I'm looking for, but I'm not fussy as to make or model. An excavator is out of the question, as I have plans to put this tractor to use breaking up some native grassland that has a lot of rocks in it. I'd like to pull a ripper behind this tractor at some point in the future.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Joel ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-26          145040

Joel I'm partial to big skidsteers and what they can do mainly 'cause I have one (I have a Ford 2000 with a loader FOR SALE too, and a mid size backhoe). The one shown in my avitar to the left I have used to clear debris, concrete slabs, whole trees, motorhomes, mobile homes, and cars cleaning up Katrina for FEMA on the Coast. It will reach
10'-1" as much as a 4-yard Cat frontend loader.
Among some of the attachments I have is a grapple bucket and pallet forks. Steel over-the-tire tracks make nearly unstoppable. When I'm de-rooting land I'll use the forks to skim the ground like a rake.

A small dozer with a root rake would do fine too, or a rear scarifier. But I think the pallet forks might work just as well or better as you can dig stuff out and move and load it too.

About 10 years ago Bobcat made a huge, 900-series, 14,000lb. machine (mine weighs 8,000) that you can sometimes find cheap as they are orphans in the construction world (too heavy and large to be practical). BUUUUUT you can also find with them with full-size 14' backhoes too (FYI: None of the attachments fits anything other than the Bobcat 900 series) I've seen backhoes for it go for less than $2000 on eBay because nobody wants them. Bobcat made a rear mounted, hydraulically operated scarifier for it too---about 8' wide or better. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-26          145041

Earthwrks,

Many thanks for the info and the ideas. I'll keep your comments in mind as I look for a used machine to do this hard work.

I will need to put about 100 hours on the machine, which rules out renting anything.

Something in a reasonable price range would be good, so that I can resell it when I'm done using it. If I take a small loss on the resale, I'll still be way ahead of the rental cost. I thought it might be easier to resell a rubber wheeled tractor, than a bulldozer, but I won't rule out even a D-5 Cat.

I still like the Oliver 1900, but I'll keep my eyes open for something with a similar size and weight. And if I can find a used 900 series Bobcat, I'll surely consider buying it. I know of one in use about 9 miles from me, but it's not for sale. It is a heavy tractor. It will lift some incredible weight.

Joel ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-26          145042

Earthwrks,

I forgot to ask you about the Ford 2000. It is advertised somewhere where I can see a picture of it, such as tractorhouse.com?

If I remember correctly, the Ford 2000 was a fairly heavy machine. I might be able to get by with something in that size and weight, as I'm really getting tired of digging most of this stuff out by hand.

My little Kubota works great for hauling the chains, cables, jacks, and other material handling goods to and from the junk pile, but it's far too small for this project. I had it out there just once, and used it to haul about 40 wheels and tires out of the junk pile, along with a number of intake manifolds, engine blocks, and gear boxes. Everything else is just too big for the little Kubota.

Tell ya what though, I'd like to meet the man who had this place before me. A dark alley would be a real good meeting place. hehehe.

Joel ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-26          145051

Joel, the 2000 is a bigger type machine I have pictures of it but not uploaded to the net--if you're interested I can do that. It's a former college grounds machine. Believe it's a 1969 model year. It has a Ford factory loader (which needs a front pump--we have the old one--splines are bad and coupler slips), Ford 8' scraper blade. No ROPS. Rear turf tires (bigguns!), ran very well (no smoke) when we parked it less than three years ago. It belongs to my buddy which paid $6500 in '97 but says he will take $4000 (I do all his dirt work now). There is a 6' landscape rake available for $250 which has seen only a few hours on it (used to be mine). It's located off just north of Monroe, Mich. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-26          145055

Earthwrks,

Thanks for the information. I'm still considering whether or not I want to make the trip. Not sure I want to go that far for a tractor.

Still, I'd like to see it. I figure it might be around until next Spring.....if I'm lucky.

I have a daughter who's expecting her first child in Feb. She lives in southern Minnesota. Maybe I can schedule a trip sometime after the snow melts, in May, to see the new grandbaby, my daughter, and the Ford 2000. From here to Monroe, MI, according to Google Maps, it's more than 1100 miles, one way.

If you get some pictures posted, please let me know.

Many thanks for the help.

Joel ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-29          145167

Joel, scrap is nearly record high here in the north east you might not like the way it looks but you might be sitting on a gold mine.
They have also cleaned all the older cars out of the auto yards for better looks for our visitors, now were building wind mills on every hill so we can run fancy power lines down to help those in NY city that don't choose to help themselves. I have to live within an hour of power plant but they can't! Go figure! ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-29          145171

Conadoarms, I think you can find a Detroit Diesel 453 near you if you look aroung. They were used in a lot of applications of heavy equipement. From logging to off road cranes. As Art pointed out there are noisy and did have a problem with running away and required an emergency cut off system also. Proper muffler and air filter does help with the noise. Worked for crane company for years that used the 453, Cummins 378, Cat 3208 and a Deutz. By far the 453 was the loud one and had lower torque than all but the Deutz which had none. If memory is correct they are a 2 cycle engine as you said. They was different valve set ups and such affecting the horse power and noise level. It started better in the cold here (20s above) fair. Cat was better. Cummins required help. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
Chief

2007-08-29          145173

I think an IH 856, 1256, 1066, or 1086 would fill the need you have nicely. They are good tractors and are a good bit less expensive than the other green machines (Deere) although a nice Deere 4250 or 4255 with a powershift trans would be a nice choice as well. These machines may a bit on the large size but to get to the weight you specify, they have to be on the large side. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-29          145175

From my point of view that Belarus at $5k was a steal and for grunt or snow work would probably be a better choice.

The woods up here are full of them and as they age more are arriving by the truckload from other areas on a weekly basis, most sold before they ever get here.

Best of luck. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-29          145190

When I was driving truck they used to call the old 318 a double breasted yamaha! As far as torque they basically didn't have any just like any other two stroke design compared to a four stroke.
I can't see hoe anyone can build a air cooled engine to produce torque without having extra electric fans to cool while lugging. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-29          145206

I've got a road grader with a Detroit in it. I love the sound it makes--sort of like a combination of a locomotive under power and a jet engine. And the neighbors like the way it sounds too---well the ones that like that kind of stuff--they'll come outside and grin from ear to ear. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-30          145214

Some of you my age may remember the portable feed grinders mounted on a truck that used to go from farm to farm grinding feed for livestock. The coming of the PTO powered grinder mixers in the 1960's was kind of the end of their era. On a cold winter morning you could hear the thing with it's distincive howl as it went around the neighborhood doing the grinding. It had a GM two cycle engine, the guy never shut it off between jobs, he would back up to your wagon of grain, hit the throttle and man the chickens woke up then. Frank. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-30          145216

Some of my family had a summer place on the 'big lake' as we called it, Georgian Bay of Lake Huron, it was on the mainland, but there was no road into the compound, it was up the coast a piece from town in a sheltered little bay with a big island guarding the opening and forming a natural breakwater.

There was no electricity or telephone either, everything came in by boat, or across the ice in the winter.

I can still remember the sound of the supply boat from town, it was a little old tug from Thunder Bay that the local fuel oil company ran to tank fuel to the islands and out ports like ours, it also delivered just about everything since the same (extended family) also owned the local grocery store and lumber yard.

The old girl had a big Detroit screaming away below deck that vented up through an exhaust stack behind the wheelhouse, we could hear that thing coming for quite some time before she appeared around the corner. If the weather was good and old Rolly that ran her was in a good mood he'd ask if he could 'hire me on' as a deck hand for the rest of the run up the coast, and drop me back on the return trip. Usually that meant he was staying for dinner and a visit afterwards to.

I can still hear the sound of that ship.

Best of luck. ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-31          145241

Art White,

Scrap metal is worth a lot more today than it has been in the past, but I live more than 125 miles (one way) from the nearest scrap metal yard. I am not able to haul enough metal with my equipment to pay for the trip. I give away my scrap metal to the first person who shows up, and I'm always happy to see it go.

KThompson,

There is almost no industry where I live.......in fact there are very few people. The nearest stop-light is more than 40 miles from here. The nearest Burger King is 125 miles, one way. McDonalds is a bit closer, at 40 miles one way. It's nearly impossible to find any equipment of the type you mention in these very rural areas, as such investments would never pay off for the owner. I'm forced to look far and wide for most anything I need.

Murf,

The nearest Belarus dealer went belly up more than 10 years ago, when he discovered that farmers in this area weren't about to purchase anything that they weren't sure they'd be able to find parts for at some later time.

There may be a few Belarus tractors around, but I'm looking for something that I could purchase and resell as soon as I'm finished with it. The Belarus would become a permanent fixture around here, I'm afraid, should I ever bring one home.

To all.........

Thanks for the stories. The more I hear about this Detroit 2-stroke Diesel, the more I'd like to have one. I'll keep my eyes open for one of these Oliver 1900s, unless something else catches my interest first.

I've been working on this scrap pile, on and off, for more than 8 years. Another 8 years isn't going to hurt anything........but I'm afraid it could take that long.

I have a friend with a D-6 Cat dozer sitting in his trees. It doesn't run, and it doesn't have a blade attached. Maybe he'll let me tinker with the thing long enough to get it running. If so, I believe I'll have found the muscle I need to make short work of this mess.

I'll keep you posted.

Joel

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
Art White

2007-08-31          145252

Joel, to a degree I envy you for where you live, not that much though! I guess I'm spoiled! ....

OLIVER 1900 FWD

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-31          145255

Art White,

To a degree, I believe I'm spoiled too.

I shoot coyotes and prairie dogs from my kitchen window, with the M1 Garand, whenever I danged well please. The only problem I have with that is the wife, who hates it when the hot brass goes down her collar as she's cooking breakfast. hehehe.

Living in this part of the country gives me a whole lot of time to enjoy life. If I ever get around to it, I'll post some pictures of the place for you.

The rifle range in the backyard extends nearly to Canada, as there are very few people remaining around here. 8 of 9 farm houses are abandoned, and our schools are closing left and right.

This year, our high school football team has a new name....again. CBEMS is the name of our football team, because it is composed of students from Cando, Bisbee, Egland, Munich, and Starkweather. And this is 9-man football. Not enough kids to form an 11 man team.

Next year, the grade schools will also close in two more of those towns, with the exception of Cando. Ah....yes......peace and quiet, fresh air, clean water, and no neighbors. This can really spoil a guy.

Joel

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login