Go Bottom Go Bottom

How much precious metals in electronic devices

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-23          141453

I want to investigate recycling electronic devices on a small scale. I need input on how much potential precious metals are in a typical PC for example, what devices would have more metals than others and the biggie--how to render the metals from say, switches with gold contacts. Any all info appreciated! I'm starting from ground-zero--had a brain-fart and want to see where this will lead to.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-04-23          141458

I don't think there's much, especially on commercial products. There's a little gold on connectors, maybe a few microns, but the cheaper the product the less gold there is. Some real cheap connectors are only good for a few insertions before the gold is worn off and cheapness is the name of the game in commercial electronics. Then you get to worry about hazardous waste disposal, like lead from solder and components. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-04-23          141461

Can I recommend a metal detector at the beach? Tough night trying to read and watch the Hooters contest! ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2007-04-23          141472

You should have opened a mine in Alabama. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-04-24          141483

A local metal recycler up here has started doing it.

He claims the precious metals are just a nice bonus, the real money is in the other metals. Despite what the price of gold is, he makes far more from the aluminum, steel and especially copper than anything else. They even brought in a new gizmo, sort of like a microwave with a conveyor belt running through the middle, to break down the hard plastic into its base components and some diesel fuel.

He makes pretty good coin doing it, but then again he also processes several tractor trailer loads EVERY DAY.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-04-24          141502

Murf that "gizmo", does it make a high-pitched whine? Is it ultrasonic, or use radio waves as in induction to generate heat?

Diesel, eh? Pre tell. Have you seen this up close and personal? How far from Detroit? ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-04-25          141519

I had a look at what recyclers are paying for printed circuit board (pcb) scrap - quantities are for truck-loads (40000 lbs)
1) Whole PC's assembled or dissasembled: $ 40 / ton FOB.
2) What they call high grade PCB scrap (must contain gold plated contacts) no cases only electronic boards populated or unpopulated (with ic's) $1340 / ton FOB.

All the indications on the web are that extraction of base and precious metals is a fairly sophisticated process requiring substantial investment in specialized machinery.

Most but not all indicate that the precious metals are the primary motivation for the recycling process. That of course depends on what the various metals are trading for. A lot of the recycling done in Europe is done to comply with environmental regs. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-04-25          141520

Jeff, I'm not sure how it works exactly.

It is about a 5 hour drive from Detroit........ doing the speed limit..... ;)

It's about 270 miles, but lunch is on me if you want to come have a peek, it's only about a half hour from me.

Have a look at the site, maybe they shed some light on it.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   GEEP (a division of Barrie Metals)

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login