Go Bottom Go Bottom

Stihl 038 chainsaw does not run

View my Photos
Penhale
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-11-16          181229

I have a stihl 038 super that does not run unless I por gas into it myself. Recently I have replaced the tank, fuel line and filter due to a leaking metal tank. I read all the info from Dennis and his troubles. mine seem the same but i have changed many of those items already. Any suggestions and what is the "impulse line"?

Link:   Related Thread: Stilh 026 hard start

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-11-20          181285

I don't exactly get your first sentence but you might try a new plug, along with fresh hi-test gas. If that doesn't work, any dealer who sells Stihls can repair them. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-11-21          181291

It would seem it is either catching air or fuel blockage is the issue. Does it have a primer pump on it, if so could it have an air leak in it? Again if it has one does it seem to pump up to have pressure? Could the jets be clogged by either contaminated fuel or trash? Have known of a guy who had water in his fuel just enough that running through the tank was an issue but down the carb was not.

Oh, this from a guy who paid about $100 to have gas hedge trimmer fixed for same issue. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2011-11-21          181294

The impulse line runs off the fly wheel it is used to draw the fuel. It is hard to get to without some disassembly. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2011-11-21          181297

First thought to me is that the carb is gummed up and it's not getting fuel.

As Dennis mentioned, the "impulse line" is Stihl's idea of a fuel pump, basically it is a tube that carries a suction from the flywheel to draw fuel to the carb.

I'd pour it full of carb cleaner first.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Rosie75
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-11-22          181322

Have you checked to be sure your choke is locking closed during a cold start. I have to hold the choke switch down on mine to make sure it is choked. You may think the choke is locked closed, but you have to remove the air filter and observe that the choke plate stays closed. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login