Go Bottom Go Bottom

Looking to buy a New Pickup Truck

View my Photos
dododo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2017-04-24          196570

My brother just bought a new Ford F150 Last year. He has the crew cab.

I drove it and considering buying one.

Chevy is beating Ford over the head about the Aluminum bed. I know rusted out beds for steel has been an issue as pickups get really old, is the cure Aluminum more of headache with early life punctures?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-04-24          196572

I do not have a pickup with aluminum bed but have older F250 with steel bed and I do haul with it. I will drop my receiver hitch in my bed which has spray on liner material in there and would never worry about a hole. Now that is steel grant you but even with the rocks in my bed I would be very upset if the small rocks or the 200 pound or so rocks were dropped to where they would do damage to an aluminum bed. If I were the least bit worried would be sure to have the bed sprayed or some other protection. Notice what they are dropping in those beds to do such damage.

View my Photos
minimac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2017-04-24          196573

Many of the large tandem dumps have Aluminum beds, wight matters, that said do own one of the new Fords and agree with KT that those ads seem worst case exaggerations.

We will see in time when you look at the Fords used heavily how they fare. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2017-04-25          196576

Ford didn't get to be the number one pickup truck for 50+ years by putting out junk and not doing any R & D.

I'm pretty sure they're aware that anybody who actually uses the truck AS a truck instead as a 'cool' version of a minivan puts a bed liner of some form in the truck.

We use heavy rubber mats shaped to fit the floor.

We have a few of those trucks, so far the biggest issue is the complaining from the guys that don't yet have one. ;-)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
greyhorse

2017-04-27          196608

Rust and weight has always been the enemy of the Pickup Truck. I think Ford made the right decision, rubber maps and or just a sheet of pressure treated plywood will protect the bed enough.

I just cannot understand how Elon Musk's Tesla has a higher market cap then GM, and how Ford despite being the only Domestic manufacturer that did not need a bail out in the financial crisis, has been doing so poorly in the equity markets. ....

View my Photos
ford2000

2017-04-28          196634

I think many are loyal to the brand they have had and do not change so much. I wonder if others will follow Fords lead on the the Aluminum bed. Should be interesting, what barriers do Dodge and Chevy have in just coping Ford? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2017-05-07          196672

Never owed a Ford swore never would. Then GM and obozo crawled in bed together with the stock deal obozo buying worthless GM stock, for big$$$$, then GM buy it back for pennies.

It took me 2 years to get across the Ford bridge have the 3.5 with turbos WOW! Have bought her a car also.

Love the mouse motor from chevy but can't stand the way they ripped off the taxpayer for billions and run to china to build Caddies. ....

View my Photos
toolate

2020-04-22          199095

Wondering what long term owners of Fords with the aluminum bed box think of it after using for a couple of years?

How hard have you beat it and can it take it? ....

View my Photos
Hogslayer

2020-04-23          199096

I don't have a Ford but many of my friends do. They have not had a problem with the aluminum box. They however haven't attempted to destroy their box like a GM commercial; they have respect for their trucks.

Definitely a bed liner would be good for any truck you purchase. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie with hemi. I had a 2002 Ford F-250. It rusted and was under powered with the Triton V8. It carried allot of weight but rode very rough.

At the time the Ram was the only truck with 8 speed transmission. It is smooth. The hemi is powerful and fast while giving decent mileage. It drops back to a 4 cylinder with no load situations. The Ram has a smoother ride with coil springs but a slightly lower weight carrying capacity.

The GM trucks used to be offered with a 5.3 engine. That was way underpowered and mileage was terrible. The 6.2 has more power than needed while mileage is ok. A friend has a Denali with 6.2. Says he can break the tires loose at 55mph by stepping on the gas.

I understand the Ford turbo offers both power and good mileage. But, I like a V8 under the hood.

The Ram has a slightly spongy ride when under heavy loads as compared to Ford and GM but the ride is nicer.

If I want to transport concrete, rocks or other nasty stuff I use a trailer. I have an 8 ft. Utility trailer, 14 ft. Tandem enclosed trailer, a tandem dump trailer with 5,000 pound axles and an 18 ft. Triple axle flat bed.

GMC offers a fold down tail gate in their upscale Denali model. Be careful. If you fold it down with a trailer receiver still in it you will dent the tailgate.

If I was buying a truck, I would shop Ford and Ram first. I think they are both good. Ram has a nicer interior.

View my Photos
Murf

2020-04-23          199098

We don't have any Dodge trucks, strange considering a cousin owns a dealership, but still. We don't have any GM's either, although several employees and subcontractors do.

I drove a rented Ram 3500 with the big gas engine, pulled a 5,000 load on a tandem trailer just fine, but rode a LOT worse empty than our Ford F550's do. I did not like the constant shifting on anything but perfectly flat, level roads.

The interior was ok, but not great for a Laramie level trim, everything had a cheap Walmart quality feel to it.

We do have several aluminum body Fords, no issues with them in general contracting work, all got a sprayed in liner from new. Like Hogslayer, we don't drop concrete blocks into them from 6' up.

Some of our trucks have the Eco-swoosh engine, but the ones that pull trailers have the 5 liter V8 in them, same mileage as the 3.5 when hooked to any trailer.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login