Go Bottom Go Bottom

Electrical problem with ford model 1920

View my Photos
stallman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-01          78343

My ford ignition switch was loose. This weeekend I decided to remove it to tighten so it would not rotate when using. when I started to remove it from the side of the tractor, there must have been a exposed wire and it shorted out. I replaced the wiring to the ignition switch (splicing into the good wiring) but it still does not get electric to fire. Battery is good. Fuses are good. could it be the switch itself. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Stallman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-01          78362

Unfortunately when you short a wire the laod is the same from the point of the short all the way back to the source of power, usually the battery.

When your switch shorted out the wire may have burnt out some distance away where something caused a weak spot. You will have to trace that wire all the way back until you find the fault.

You say it "does not get electric to fire" does this mean it cranks but will not start, or it does not even crank?

If it is cranking but not starting I would suspect the fuel shut-off solenoid is not getting power.

If it does not even crank I would think it is likely just an open circuit in the power to the starter solenoid.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-01          78368

Stallman,
One should ALWAYS disconnect the battery when attempting repairs such as yours. (you know this now) Years ago, a friend got 3rd degree burns on his wrist playing under the dashboard of his 383 Dodge because he wore his I.D. bracelet.
Have fun, but be safe,
bliz ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-01          78373

blizzard, you ain't a kidding! My dad nearly lost a finger when his wedding ring shorted out when working on a car. ....

View my Photos
stallman

2004-03-01          78382

Thanks for the info. I do not get any electric what so ever. You must be right. I will trace the wires back until I Find the break. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-01          78387

If you know which wire is dead, it is sometimes less grief to just use that wire as a 'fish' to pull a NEW wire into place.

Chasing problems can sometimes take up a lot of time & alcohol. ;->

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-01          78426

There's almost certainly a main fuse for all the aux circuits. On my 1710 it's a fusible link. Links look like a fat section of wire, and mine is buried somewhere in a wiring harness. Good chance the main fuse is popped and if it's a link it won't be found on the fuse block. Sorry I don't have manuals for the 20's or I'd be able to say where to look or even say for sure if it's a link. ....

View my Photos
stallman

2004-03-02          78508

Thanks everyone for their imput. Last night I found the problem. It was a fusible link attached to my starter and main battery cable. Took about ten minutes to fix and get the thing up and running.
Thanks again.

View my Photos
xmastree

2010-09-25          174190

I to am having issues with my 1920. The starter went and was rebuilt. Now she does not want to crank. I assume that it is the fusable link as well.
Please let me know were you located it and if it is a part that needs to come from the Dealer?

Thank you. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-09-25          174192

First xamstree welcome to TP.

When you say it will not crank, you mean crank over correct? Do you have any way to check to see if current is getting to the starter when you try cranking if? Don't think me dumb here (done such) but did you remove a wire from the battery to remove the starter? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login