Go Bottom Go Bottom

What kind of a drop trialer hitch do you use

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-05          54352

I have a 2002 Ram 2500 Cummins HO. I have found a 6 inch drop hitch to two my trailer with but it still needs about 3 more inches of drop to tow relatively level. What do any of you use that have a similar rig?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-05          54355

I have a few different drop height recievers under the back seat of my 3500. The proper height changes depending on the loading and the trailer. I think the standard one I use with the equipment trailer is 8 inch. A few monthes ago I had to switch out for a longer drop as I had near two tons on the back of the truck. I guess the idea would be one of the adjustable drops but have not bought one.
It is a lot easier with the goose neck or fifth wheel.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-05          54356

How much weight is the 8" drop hitch rated for? I will pull my tractor and my Sea Ray with it and the Sea Ray is in the 9000 lb. range. I currently have a Schuck Cushion Hitch with a 10,000 lb. rate tow ball. ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-05          54365

I occasionally tow my car trailer with my friends '96 2500 4WD Cummins. I have used a 4" drop and the trailer rides level, same drop as our 2500 Suburban. Must be the way the trailer is made, I sure haven't had the problem.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-05          54369

My 8 inch is a Sheldon which is 7K. That is all my trailer is rated for so? Anything heavier than that I use a the goose. There are a number sold in the Northern Tool. There are a couple of water ski catalogs that have a better selection. I can not remember the names it has been a while since I had one. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-06          54393

Peters, thanks for the info. on the Sheldon 8" drop hitch. That is exactly what I was looking for. I had not heard of that brand name before. I am kinda undecided about a goose neck hitch. I cringe at cutting a hole in my baby's bed and the new Rhino liner I had sprayed in. A agree, the goose neck is a lot better for the heavy stuff. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-06          54395

The smallest, lightest 5th wheel hitch is rated at 15,000 pounds towing weight.

That says something as to the basic strength. I can also tell you that after many thousands of miles that there is no safer smoother tow out there than a 5th wheel set-up. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-04          60889

Just in case anyone else was interested; here is the hitch I went with. It is rated for 10K and the ball 8K. Works great and is height adjustable.

Link:   Link to Ball Adjustable Ball Mount

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login