Go Bottom Go Bottom

The Chief s refueling rig

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-09          59218

Here is what finally managed to concoct for refueling my tractor. I have to take it down the the fuel distributor to fill up with off road diesel yet but it looks like it should work well. We shall see!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-09          59219

Well, I up loaded a picture of it but something went wrong or more likely my "superior" computer/internet skills are wanting. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-10          59260

Hey Mark, can you help me out here? I must not be doing something right. I sized the picture down to 27kb and followed the directions (or so I thought) to up load them. I get the message that thanks me and says it loaded OK but when I click on the pics link. I get some kind of funky message and no pics. As always, thanks Mark. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-07-10          59261

Chief,

I renamed your file to my profile and it is loaded in my pix 2 slot. Seems the problem is with the funky characters in your username, I think we should change your userid to "chief" so you can use more of the board features. What do you think?

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-10          59271

€hieƒ™, just two questions ...

1) where's the ground strap ?

2) where's the flashing yellow light ?

LOL, seriously, good looking unit.

I use a slightly less troublesome method of fuel delivery, although it does require a little more attention to detail. The filler cap is not vented, and the seperate vent can be locked to hold air, or conacted to an air pig or other supply via a standard Milton-type quick connect air fitting equipped with an adjustable air pressure regulator.

All I do is hook up the air supply and squeeze the trigger, the regulator is set to about 15 psi which is not enough to cause the trigger valve to leak, but still gives me a decent flow rate. No pumping involved.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-10          59287

Sounds like a winner to me Dennis. Chief it is. Only question is will changing my user name reak havoc with my logging on and such? Thanks for jumping in there and bailing me out. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-10          59288

Murf, can you still run the fuel through a filter too? Didn't think I really needed a grounding strap with diesel but I can rig something up. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-10          59290

Dennis, how do I change my user name? I went to change password but did not see anything to change user name. I am a computer klutz! ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-07-10          59292

Chief,

Check your email for your new ID

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-10          59296

Good Grief, Are you useing that much fuel in your tractor ?? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-10          59300

Now Doc, remember that I am feeding a 101 cubic inch engine 35 hp engine. I have been using 10 gallons every other week up until it got real hot and dry. At 95 cents a gallon, I figured I would give it a try. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-07-10          59310

Chief -
The least you could've done was give the girl a fresh coat of paint to match the racing wheel combo! LOL
Certainly looks like it'll do the job quite well!

At 95 cents a gallon...Heck, it's worth it for me to drive down there and fill up a few tanks , then drive back north. I can't find it much cheaper than $1.599 a gallon. I try to find it as "off road use", but not very many stations sell it this way, up here.

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-10          59312

I found a petroleum distributor and called them. They had pumps labeled for off road no tax and on road taxed fuel. They charge 3 cents a gallon to deliver with a 100 gallon minimum. I was driving right past them to get my tire balanced and rotated at Wally World so I did the whole shootin' match at once. It ain't the prettiest set up I will agree but it will hopefully get the job done and save me around 40 cents a gallon. I am getting cocky now that Dennis helped me fix the picture posting problem; I have posted a few more pics of my fuel burning girls. I will take some pics of my 4410 tomorrow. ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-11          59321

I drive so much I considered one of the bed style fuel cells for the duramax. when I looked one a TSC they were like $700 plus the pump. I didnt think I could ever save enough to justify the cost. Now If I could get fuel for 95c a gallon I'd probably buy two. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-11          59330

Chief, there is a filter on our fuel tank, 5 micron I believe. The air pressure provides more than enough umph to push the diesel through any filter, the variable air pressure idea is because in the winter (thicker fuel), or if the machine is much higher than the tank it can turned up or down to adjust flow.

I suppose your right about the ground strap, ;-p However, if you were to run Jet 'A' I'll bet you could get Deere to REALLY run...LOL

BTW, are those bungey cords transport grade 70 approved ?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-11          59346

Murf, while I was active duty, we ran our fleet of 15 4710's and gators on JP-8 which is Jet-A. They ran fine, a bit cleaner but Jet-A needs a good fuel additive for lubrication. Jet-A doesn't make quite as much power either. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-11          59349

Doc, you can do the same thing. Just look in the phone book under petroleum/oil distributors and call around and ask for prices for off road diesel. I had to fill out one paper that said I was using the fuel for agricultural use (which I am) and I did not have to pay the sales tax either. I am in TN so the rules may be different in your state. You don't need no stinkin' $700 TSC in bed tank. Get a clean 35 or 55 gal. drum and put a pump on it. The pump on my tank is made by GPI. They are sold at TSC for $104 but you can buy cheaper pumps. The filter is a Golden Rod 10 micron fuel filter, cost $26. You can load the empty drum in your truck easy. When you bring is back full. Use your FEL to move it. If a 55 gal. drum is too much or heavy for you, use a 30 gal. drum. I also filled up a 30 drum along with my big tank. I had it setting around so I used it and it is a pita loading and unloading all the wagon and trailer. Just role the barrel into the loader bucket and move it where you want it. Make SURE you add microbiocide to the fuel as well as a good fuel additive and a STABIL BEFORE you fill the drum. That way if it does set for awhile, it will be OK when you want to use it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-11          59350

Murf, where did you buy your filter at? I looked for a 5 micron filter but could not find one except on the internet and they were REALLY expensive. 5 Micron filters out alot of crud and little beasties! ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-11          59355

Chief, thanx for the tip but I only use about 10 gal a month in the JD so the old fuel can still is pretty effective for me. It is a real pisser though when I'm on a run through someplace like misserry and fuel is under a buck a gallon and its a buck sixety by the time I get home. My primary interest is just being able to load up on pump fuel where and when its less expensive. I am regularly paying 15 cents a gallon for diesel this year which is nice though compared to last year when I averaged 6 cents MORE per gal than reg ! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-11          59357

Have you checked into home heating oil filters?

I don't see a rating on the ones I bought for $7.95 each, but based on other filters I have seen they are at least 10 microns.

The older styles were pleated paper, the newer ones are a solid, hard foam depth filter with at least 1/2 inch thick filter matrix. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-07-11          59358

As Mark mentioned we run home heating oil filters. They cost something under $10 each, and we get them by the case from our fuel distributor. Like equipment dealers, it pays to deal with someone who knows their business and how to look after clients. We have an arrangement with our supplier and he knows what our 'static inventory' levels are, when they bring the fuel they also check and re-supply (if required) all the other consumables they supply us, filters, grease, oil, etc. It's a really handy arrangement but hardly required for the average user.

I was just talking earlier today with me right-hand man (literally now) John, they just finished the June month end, totals for all equipment (trucks excluded) for the month of June 2003, 4,320 operating hours, 25,200 litres (6,667 US gallons) of diesel, 86 oil changes, 21 air filters, 13 tire repairs, 2 new tires, 2 new rims, and 1 new seat.

If you specify 'cold weather' filters, or tell them it is for an 'outside' tank it will probably be a 5 micron filter, however in warmer areas it may be hard to find them.

Best of luck.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login