Go Bottom Go Bottom

Propane Prices

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-16          124634

We needed to fill our 1000 gallon tank and our regular supplier, Ferrellgas, wanted $2.79/gallon! Yikes. Thought I'd call around and found another supplier who was $1.79. Suburban was over $3! What are you guys paying now.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Propane Prices

View my Photos
s chrand
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-16          124638

I know this isn't going to be much help, but we signed up for their 'pre-buy' last fall through Ferrellgas and locked in a price of $1.69/gal with a sign-up cost of $35. I've been meaning to call around to find out if it was a deal or not, but haven't, I think because I don't want to know if it wasn't!
David ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-16          124640

It's not uncommon for propane dealers to offer lower prices for first time sales to new customers but Ferrelgas is unreal. Dealing with them is like dealing with a used car salesman. When I balked at the $2.79 price and told them another dealer was a buck lower they said, "Well, we can go lower". What a pantload. Does anyone really want to negotiate the price every time they fill up? Next week I'll have the pleasure of calling them to come and get their tank. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-02-16          124641

Here in Michigan my provider is in the $1.79/1.89 range depending upon quantity of purchase and if it is pre-pay. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-16          124643

Ken,

the way prices seem to be changing next week they might be the lowest.

kt ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-02-16          124648

Filled up last week for 1.55, did'nt call around, but neighbors tell me theirs is about the same from other sources. Frank. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-02-16          124649

Had mine filled today here in SW Idaho, 1.99 gal. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
DK35vince

2006-02-16          124653

Filled up 2 weeks ago, Western, Pa. $2.05/gallon ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-02-16          124655

I bought a tank from Ferrelli gas and locked in a one time price of $1.10 gal. The next time we called we had to negotiate a price of $1.69 gal. last month. I thought the best way was to negotiate. I you wine about the babies milk money, and your broke tractor it seems to help. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-02-16          124660

I will be looking into buying a large tank. When I move, I plan to use propane as a back up. I never have checked into the expected life of a tank, anyone here no the lifespan estimate of these tanks? My plan was to buy a tank around a thousand gallons or so. I may never use that much for many years but one never knows what health conditions will permit for working with wood funaces (loading and stocking up)
I paid $1.65 last September or August. Right now I rent the tank. A 500 galoner costs me $41 a year. That covers new paint and maintanance (what ever there may be?)LOL
Problem with renting the tank is that you are required to get a refill from them. This creates a mark up of around 10 cents a gallon over the free market suppliers.
I dont mind this right now since I only use about 300 gallons a year. I keep my place heated all winter long around 45 degrees and around 80 degree's when the little lady is in it! Yep I am in my skibby's right now typeing
(Yes it is an aweful sight by the way)
Cant quite figure her out. From September to May she has the heat set on 74-78 degree's From June too Sept she has the Air conditioner set on 68 degrees. You tell me whats wrong with this picture? We seem to be missing the temperature range of 69 degrees to 75 degrees. Yes I love my bride very much LOL ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-16          124662

I rent the tank because I don't want to own the hassle of inspecting it, keeping it up to code and disposing of it when it's life is over.

Regarding comfort - one word, enthalpy. Moist air at a given dry bulb temperature contains more heat energy than dry air at the same temperature. So comparing dry bulb temperatures of dry winter air to humid summer air is like comparing apples and oranges as far as human comfort goes. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-02-16          124664

I have a large tank and all I have attached to it is the gas range top. They put around 150 lbs every few years. Thermostat and wife I will not touch that. I run things in my house vaccum, washer, dryer, dishwasher not the thermostat. Yes dear the temp is fine in here. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-02-17          124694

I've never heard aything said about the lifespan of an LP tank, but maybe there are things I don't know about. 500 or 1000 gal used tanks with a fresh coat of paint cost close to new prices around here, I never heard of a "Disposal Problem". The year of manufacture is stamped on the tank, I do know that some of the real early tanks did'nt have a "Wet Leg" inside, they don't work if you need to pull liquid instead of vapor. Corn dryers were a good example of that, during cold weather not enough vapor would evaporate from the surface of the liquid in a tank to keep up with the burner. Frank. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-02-17          124699

I've read that many 20 gallon and smaller tanks have about a 12 year service life. They have date codes for this purpose. Don't know if that applies to larger tanks though. The way they changed the code to require OPDs on smaller BBQ style tanks got me to thinking that maybe I don't want to hassle with owning the big tank. ....

Propane Prices

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-02-17          124719

Based on the cost to rent the tank, approx 60 per year, and the cost of a new tank (approx 1000) I calculated that the ROI would be greater than 15 years - given that I may sell the place during that time it would be a very hard to justify me buying a tank. Its far cheaper to rent, also I discovered after the fact that if I buy a certain amount of propane per year the company waives the rental fee. If I decide to get a new supplier then they remove their tank and the new company sets a new one. If it's not my tank I dont worry about the age etc. In any case the larger tanks (500 plus gal etc) do not age-out unlike the 20lb tanks that have to be re-certified. If they look OK / not leaking etc they will be in service forever. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login