Go Bottom Go Bottom

Why the Microsoft Store Should Always Be Empty

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-27          189802

My laptop PC got corrupted yesterday. The good news was that I had a Macrium Reflect backup of the full PC. The bad news the backup was from a year ago. The good news is I had two partitions of Win7 on the laptop. The second just in case the Main Win7 version crashed.

So the process was boot from the working partition access the data on the failed partition and copy to an external drive.

Then restore the failed partition with Macrium Reflect. Then copy the other files back to the restored system.

The Macrium part is great and fast, copying all the stuff to the external drive took a long time even with USB 3.0, but not bad.

The killer is Windows Frigging UPDATE ! HUNDREDS of updates in 12 months, shutdown reboot shutdown reboot....shutdown reboot shutdown reboot....shutdown reboot shutdown reboot....shutdown reboot shutdown reboot.

No wonder Bill Gates is now a philanthropist.. has to hide out from irate PC users...

Still working on it now started the process 2 days ago with Windows Repair which is really a useless piece of garbage...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-03-27          189803

Dennis,

I repaired medical equipment for a living for over 30 years. I'm so glad that none of that equipment was ever powered by Microsoft......though I'm wondering if any of it is today? God....I hope not.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2014-03-28          189831

Windows is awful. But Linux isn't much better. In the realm of OS technology neither one is state of the art in terms of stability or security.

There are good operating systems out there but, as always, the best technology is rarely the one that wins in the marketplace.

That said, if given the choice between Windows and Linux I'd take Linux. Just watch out for the Out of Memory Killer kernel thread! Memory overcommit, what idiot thought that was a good idea?

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login