Go Bottom Go Bottom

To Belarus or not to Belarus

View my Photos
Hadi Makki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-08          16075

I am considering buying a 1991 Belarus 250 tractor with front loader, mainly for light yardwork, moving dirt, spreading gravel, moving downed trees, etc. Any advice? What should I pay for it?Thanks Hadi

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-09          16100

I hope I'm not just starting an argument, but from what I've seen and heard of the Belarus, I'd say no more than half what you'd expect to pay for a John Deere, New Holland, or Kubota. ....

View my Photos
Emery Courvelle

2000-05-15          16287

I bought a 1992 Belarus 250AS used about 5 yrs ago. It has been a tough little
work horse for me. I use it for about the same thing as you described. A major concern will be if you can get parts and service locally. They don't have a good
resale value around here (Louisiana). They are a rough handling and riding tractor. You can't hardly stop it from dripping hydraulic and transmission oil. I would expect to pay about $2500 to $3500, depending on condition and hrs. If it has over 1000 hrs, i would pay less than that. Also with the loader, power steering would be nice. I didn't think the front end would handle a loader??? Hope this helps...Emery ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-13          19781

From what little I've seen of them, Bird and Emery describe them well. The Belarus can do the work, cost is low, but they have more problems to deal with than other makes. If you are comfortable being your own mechanic than you don't need any advice - you already know how to deal with this type of machinery. If you are not a mechanic now, then this would be a good way to learn. ....

View my Photos
GLENN

2001-02-08          24038

I purchased a 1999 left over at a auction last fall 4x4,loader,strong running machine,they do smoke more than average,plenty of tork,downpresher was nice at the hitch,I did sell the tractor 2 months later for what I payed for it,I was
afraid of getting stuck with a machine that I payed good money for might be hard to get parts for and I couldnt find anyone to honor the warranty, I found plenty in usa and canada having a good supply of parts .If I found another one cheap I would consider getting one again if it was 2 wheel drive,I was told by several people that the front end is week with ratcheting type hubs,good luck,glenn ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2001-02-09          24053

I had a good friend who was getting out of the part-time farming business. When I was over there I looked at his Belarus with a view of moving up to a bigger tractor but he refused to even discuss selling it to me. He said he was really glad he didn't get rid of his old, old MF because he had trouble keeping the Belarus working and that it was a really hard machine to sit on all day because it was so rough to ride and operate. I didn't go into too many details but his general opinion of the Belarus was not good. I don't know if this second hand opinion will help much. They are a lot less expensive and if you don't stress them too much they will probably do the job but this may be one of those times that you do get what you pay for. ....

View my Photos
Stephen Bieda

2001-12-29          34130

We have approximately $15,000 worth of Belarus tractor parts in inventory which we are trying to clear out.

I you are interested in trading parts for cash or something else let met know. ....

Link:   Belarus Parts Liquidation

View my Photos
Morgann

2003-04-05          52648

I want people to know how to pronounce Belarus. Every farmer I know says Bel-AR-us. Wrong!! It's Bella-ROOS.

Belarus is the name of a country. That's how you pronounce the country. Bella-ROOS. It's between Russia and Poland. ....

View my Photos
Morgann

2003-04-05          52649

In Russian, Bela means white and Rus means Russian. Belarus means white Russian, like the drink. Belarus used to be a Soviet Republic in the USSR, it was called White Russian SSR. Now it's a separate country north or Ukraine.

Say it with me...Bella-ROOS!! ....

View my Photos
Morgann

2003-04-05          52651

The capital of Belarus is Minsk ....

View my Photos
rookie

2003-06-22          58129

Doooon't do it you'll be sorry. ....

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-22          58130

I cut my teeth selling Belarus all the way back to the mid eighties. The stigma of being Russian made was hard to conquer. People would lie about the tractors just to discredit them. The fact was was that most Belarus buyers remain loyal and nothing quite satisfies them when they go to other lines of tractors. My Father continues to sell them today. They have had their struggles, but who hasn't? Worried about parts? Don't be. Plenty of them out there and probably close to 40 or 50k of your models in the US alone. You won't find these tractors in tractor junkyards because they are much like the energizer bunny. However, there are some differences in the way these tractors were made that you need to acknowledge. All hydraulics are external, resulting in a few unavoidable hydraulic leaks. Also be aware that the alternator output is adjustable and needs to be adjusted to suit the demands of the electrical system. Gauges and switches are higher maintenance. Bolts need to be checked for tightness in the wheels, axle housings, clutch housing and engine housing every 100 hours or so. Lubricate all points. Also store tractor under shelter. Follow these points and it should be a good unit. Also if in good shape, it should be worth about 4500 with loader. Worried about depreciation? It only cost about 7500 in 91 with a loader. Not bad if you compare the % with that of a equivalent Deere from that year. The tractor will maintain its value if you take care of it. If you want a hard working, simple tractor, jump on it. ....

View my Photos
DrMorgan

2003-06-22          58132

They aren't Russian made. They are Belarusian made. Belarus is not Russia. It's Belarus. ....

View my Photos
rookie

2003-06-22          58136

The fact is that your not able to just order the part you need and expect it work on your tractor. Quality control is poor and sometimes specs.were not maintained in the production process. One of the oldest most experienced tractor dealer in the southeast tryed to sell and support these tractors. They dropped the franchise because of constant problems and inability to get engine parts that could be trusted to work in the tractor.(inconsistant machine work).The poultry industry is big in the south and a lot of the growers bought them . No one that I know kept the tractors more than a year , due to mechical and hydraulic failures. They are junk. ....

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-22          58138

Well,
I know the oldest dealer in the US. He still sells them and was in it from the 60's. Many of his first units are still planting trees. It was not lack of parts or tech that caused dealers problems, it was the fact a lot of these dealers did not pay their bills and the company cut them off. They would tell customers "can't get part". In 17 years, never had to wait more than 4 days except one time and it took aobut two weeks. I've waited longer than that on Kubota parts.

Rookie,
I know you are new here but don't throw off on something that you know as heresay.

Dr.

The 250 Belarus is Russian made. It was not a Minsk tractor. This is a fact that maybe you don't know. There are tractors that Belarus sold made in the Ukraine. Also had some equipment come out of Latvia. In fact, the majority of the Belarus tractors sold in the US have been from the Russian plants. Oh, and even some of them came in the early 80-s from a plant in Mexico. They were called Sidenas. They branded these as "All-Americans" which was completely true and painted them red white and blue. There were a few that sneaked in that were made in Hungary as well.

By the way, I just checked out the top post, and I think we are riding a dead, smelly horse. (Date) ....

View my Photos
rookie

2003-06-22          58139

Mark I know that I may not have the background that you may have in the tractor field,but the things that I stated comes from the owners themselves and the dealer I mentioned is a relative with no reason to mislead me on his reasons for dropping them.I,m sorry if I offended you by offering my thoughts on this issue. I will surely show more respect in the future. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-06-22          58142

Rockie;
I have heard mixed reviews on the Belarus over the years. Some have bought the older models and love them others had problems and spread bad reviews. If you look around the board and net you will find disgruntled customers of almost any brand.
Like any piece of equipment there are idiosyncrasies that are particular to a brand. Once you know the problems related to working on them (getting over the learning curve) then it becomes much easier to deal with.
For example many hot rodders and engine builders prefer the GM 350. There are a number of weak points to these engines that other V8 did not have, but builders have been able to work around the problems and the availability of used parts make them desirable. To me having worked on mostly Volvo B24F engines they seem crude, with a lot of weak points and unreliable, but I have never gotten over the learning curve on the 350's. Most small town engine builders would not touch a Volvo.
Belarus are not the fit and finish of the main 3 or 4 but then again they were not the price either. ....

View my Photos
DrMorgan

2003-06-23          58147

When I was in Belarus I didn't see any Belarus tractors. All I saw were Gaz, the company that makes trucks and Volga cars, and they were mostly old machines, Gaz tractors last forever. Gaz doesn't export, you can't buy Volga cars in the USA. They are just as good as Mercedes Benz but half the price. ....

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-06-23          58156

Belarus is also known elsewhere in East Europe as MTZ tractors, at least the ones from the Minsk plant. ....

View my Photos
idontno

2004-10-04          97627

We bought one (6345)this summer...Got 300 hours on it and had a hydrolic leak and needed to adjust the pto.Pto was never adjusted from factory.I have used it for blowing silage up into silo,baling,and a loader tractor.My thoughts....Bother in law bought a Ford-NewHolland same size.Comparing the 2...His has been in the shop for pto,4x4(not working)several leaks.Price ..Mine 16,000...His 47,000.I can wear out 3 of these before I reach his buying price.Any thoughts? Mine replaced a 4020D.It don't have the power that 4020 has but will run baler all day on 1/2 the fuel.I cna't complain yet.It been a good tractor so far.Most bitch because they don't have one.But have a expensive one that they will pay for many years down the road.Mine was cheap enough that I paid cash for it.Will mine last for a long time or will it fall apart?They are simple to work on and maintaince is cheap.All tractor will fall apart if not maintained.I know farmers that buy every few years because their tractor is junk.Well you have to change oil and keep it up.I have tractors that work most everyday and have for 40 years.Color of them?Red,green,yellow,gray,and blue.Which is the best? Depends on what you do with them.I have had farmers tell me they had one and it had been in the shop 18 times.....Did he keep track?By the way...He works for Ford-Newholland..Go figger.John Deere friend(works for Deere) said they are junk...Go figger.He didn't make a sale ...BOO HOO.Quit bitchen and lower your prices.He didn't have nothing to say when I ask him where HIS (100 hp and lower)tractors were made.I will keep ya'll updated on this tractor.If it is a piece of junk it will have to prove it.So far I can't complain...idontno ....

View my Photos
jerryc101

2006-08-26          133701

i recently bought a 250AS and i am pleased so far. It is a little heavier than i first thought, but has all the power or more than i can use, mower and disking, and planting trees.

However in saying this, the only problem is the oil pressure, it drops off the scale. I hope gauge is bad, i carefully let the tractor run and watched temp, no change, no increase in temp, no engine noise. my first expierence with air cooled engines and am skeptical at this point but with open mind, this tractor is strong and in excellent shape. ....

View my Photos
jerryc101

2006-08-26          133704

Has anyone out there ever had a problem like mine with a 250AS? I just purchased it, moving up from a Yan Mar 2000, The 250 is everthing I want in a tractor. It runs great, the oil pressure is 45-60 when starting, but gradually drops to nothing when I run it for 2-3 hours. I watched the temp, and engine never overheated, in fact the temp did not move. It burns no oil, no smoke(other than starting) and runs like a champ.

Has anyone got any suggestions? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-26          133708

Try changing the oil to a single weight like thirty and a good diesel oil. ....

View my Photos
jerryc101

2006-08-27          133712

Thanks Art, tried that put new 30 wt rotella, changed pump oil and cleaned oil filter, still the same, wonder if i could have got air in oil guage line. I noticed it was a liquid guage, not an electrical guage. I am gonna hook up a new guage an see if that is problem. If not don't know what else to do. i really like the tractor. i pulled a 8" gobal disk or newground disk and the tractor seems so strong. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-08-27          133713

I'd say it sounds like oil viscosity breaking down. This happens with large tolerances and high RPM in car engines but in diesels It is from large tolerances. You might try some higher viscosity oils. The main and rod bearings and possibly the cam bearings might be the problem but there are still other things to try. I'd hook a mechanical gauge into the system to verify as gauges do go bad but they are normally unchanged in reading. You might have a weak pressure spring but I'd doubt that being the problem as it woould be weak all the time much the same as the gauge. What is nothing for pressure? ....

View my Photos
hurliman

2006-11-28          137407

Oil pressure is externally adjusted on the Belarus tractors. I can't remember exactly where it is located on the 250. Also, these came out with metric pressure guages. It should never run below 1.5kg/sqcm which is 20lbs psi. They also have a centrifical oil filter that nobody ever cleans. Get a shop manual or owners manual and clean the filter properly and see what happens. Very tough engine! I sold over 100 and only had one engine failure, birds nest in cooling fins around cylinders, couldn't cool. Call 1-800-356-2336 and ask for Ray, he was, is the service rep. ....

View my Photos
jerryc101

2006-11-29          137445

i went back and reread all the posts and thought i would jump in. I have fixed all my problems with my 91, 250, the oil pressure guage was bad, and the wiring was replaced and now i wouldn' trade it for anything. it runs great and the most fuel conservative tractor i have ever seen. i have a 14 gal tank and can use it all day pulling an 8 ft gobal disk and still 1/4 tank at the end of the day. i did take all the gee-haws off it. like turn signals, horn, dimmer swithch, and left just the necessary things. i love it and would not trade it for a new one. i paid 1900.00 for it a year ago.
thanX all for all the info on the wireing and oil problem.
Jerry101 ....

View my Photos
JonnyRebel

2016-04-01          194873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bieda | view 34130
We have approximately $15,000 worth of Belarus tractor parts in inventory which we are trying to clear out.I you are interested in trading parts for cash or something else let met know.

Do you have any Belarus parts left to sell? I'm looking for an injector pump for a 250A. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login