Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
Bill1500D
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-08          103823

I recently purchased a Yanmar 1500D 2TR15 019004 on Ebay for what appeared to be a good price at $1912. The seller told me that they bought 200 of these tractors a few years ago and that they had been reconditioned in Japan ( I doubt this). He said that this tractor had belonged to him personally but now he wanted to sell it and it only has 28 hours on it. He advertised it as needing absolutely no work and in very good condition with very very good rubber, but the minute I received it, the left front knuckle gears were grinding and tore up within 10 minutes! I took off the knuckle and it's peppered with shavings and needs to be rebuilt. Also, the diff. fluid was milky and full of sludge and rust. I checked the trany too and it was also old and milky so I changed with UTF. The tractor also overheats and boils over and the yellow panel light comes on after about 10 minutes of running at 2000 rpm’s but it's probably just the wrong AF ratio. The Af looks new and thick.

Otherwise, the tractor starts quick and easy and runs good. The hydralics and PTO seam very good. The tires are Bridgestones with "For Japan only" molded in on them. The rubber looks to be at least 90% but looks very old and dry and has very small reticulated cracks everywhere becuase of age. The transmission and clutch seam good but right brake does not work very well. Left brake good.

Now, if the seller fixes the front end and boil over, should I be afraid to keep this tractor because it runs great but what else can go wrong? Also, he painted it Deere green over the red paint, does that devalue it? The paint is starting to crack and needs touch up work. Even though the rubber has a lot of tread left, are they going to last without blowing out since they are so old. How can I tell where the tractor was reconditioned if at all and it's age?
Please reply because I need to do something fast with the seller! The seller has 100% positive feeback selling lot's of equip. on ebay and resonds fast to email and telephone.

Thanks,
Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-08          103825

With the milky fluids, brakes not working, and rust, it sounds like it was under water. ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-08          103826

With the milky fluids, brakes not working, and rust, it sounds like it was under water.Also cracks in the rubber. ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-08          103828

If the seller will take this tractor back; return it to him and get your money back NOW! The boil over problem more likely than not is a blown head gasket. Rebuilding the front end PROVIDED you can get the parts will be costly. No telling how long the water in oil problem has been. ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
Bill1500D

2005-01-08          103829

Let me clarify the murky fluid problem.
The bad fluids were in the differentials and trasmission
which is UTF. The engine oil appears to be ok, black, needs to be changed, but no signs of water in the engine or
oil in the radiator. I'm not sure at this time why it
overheats other than a blockage or too thick of a AF mix
if not strait AF. I don't think the tractor has a water pump
so if the mix is too strong then it might not ciculate.
If it is a head gasket, that would be a serious problem for the seller. The front drive is serious too. ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-01-08          103833

1. Murky fluids - normal condensation and/or leaks into the transmission (such as from around the gear shifter, etc.) can easily cause the fluids to appear murky; even accumulate enough water to freeze and lock the transmission up in very cold weather. Happens all the time on older tractors that are stored outside.

2. Overheating - No way could it be the antifreeze ratio. My humble opinion from 20 years of working on cars and tractors.

3. Not sure what you mean by the knuckle gears; I guess part of the front wheel drive? Anyway, sounds like big trouble to me.

4. The Deere green paint is not a concern whan considering the value of this tractor. Even if the tractor was 100% mechanically, a nicely applied paint job of any appropriate color wouldn't hurt the value.

5. Tires will last a long time with some terrible-looking cracks in the sidewall. I have a couple of old tractors with tires from 1947 and 1952.

I agree with 'Lion - get your money back if possible. It was mis-represented by the seller from what you've told us.

Good luck,
Bill ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
jlazaro317

2005-01-08          103840

If the seller will take it back, send it back, give good feedback if he stands behind his product, but only after he leaves you feedback (so he won't stab you in the back and leave negative). Try to leave the deal on a good note. Sounds like the tractor has too many problems. Put your money toward a better tractor. ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2005-01-09          103862

The antifreeze mix could be the problem , but I doubt it. It doesn't have a water pump, so the antifreeze should be premixed. Not over 30% ratio is recommended except for freeze protection. Many of the poorer quality tractors from Japan have plugged radiators. For more info on "new reconditioned" tractors with very few hours go to attached link ....

Link:   

Click Here

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
dfkrug

2005-01-10          103946

Does not have a water pump??!!

Who is the seller on Ebay?

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2005-01-10          103958

Many of the 2 cylinder Yanmar tractors use a thermosiphon system. Heat rises causing the coolant to circulate. ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
RFHENTGES

2005-05-28          111644

I just recently purchased a YM2000 and I am having the same problem with the overheating. It is almost like clockwork at almost exactly 10 minutes running time.
I took the radiator in and had it cleaned, replaced the cap and flushed the engine but nothing seems to work.
What am I missing here? ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2005-05-29          111705

Is it truly overheating or is the light coming on? ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-05-30          111710

You get what you pay for, and $1912 is a cheap price for a 1500D. Nothing you describe sounds serious enough to lose the kind of money you'll have invested in round trip freight. Instead, put the money into the tractor. Overheating might simply be a clogged radiator or a bad sending unit - easy fix, either one. Brake problem is likely rust accumulation - another easy fix. Milky UTF sounds like the tractor has lived most of it's life outdoors, so the tire cracks are likely just "sunburn" (surface oxidation). So far, you haven't spent much. Put the money you'd have spent on return freight into the steering problem, and go from there.

//greg// ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
RFHENTGES

2005-06-08          112076

I though thta it may have been a faulty temperature sensor, so I replaced that. The engine will overheat and water boil out a little after ten minutes. I have replaced all the hoses, radiator cap and sensor. I had the radiator cleaned and the engine flushed. There is no oil in the radiator fluid or water in the oil. What else could there be? ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-08          112078

Is your coolant circulating properly? Can you feel the upper radiator hose transition quickly from cold to hot as the thermostat opens? From a cold start with the radiator cap off, watch the radiator coolant. When the thermostat opens you should be able to see the coolant start flowing. Maybe the thermostat isn't opening all the way. ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
RFHENTGES

2005-06-08          112079

a friend suggested that I put some dye in the coolant to check the circulation and and it definitely changed color. as far as a thermostat, I do not think there is one on there and I didn't see it listed as a part. Do you know if there is supposed to be one and where it would be located on a YM2000? ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-06-08          112080

I'm going from memory here, so bear with me. Far as I can recollect, there is no waterpump and no thermostat. I think you missed a crucial step up front; pressure testing. I know you said you put on a new cap, but pressure could be escaping elsewhere. Before any more stabs in the dark, perhaps it would be a good idea to see if the cooling system has sufficient pressure over time.

//greg// ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-06-08          112085

Sorry, I don't know anything about this machine. I was just taking a stab in the dark. ....

Bad Ebay Purchase 1500D

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-06-10          112162

Caveat Emptor. A heavy equipment operator here got took on a pair of bulldozers off eBay. The description and photos made it look like a super deal, and he was thrilled to win the auction. Then they arrived. Would you believe holes in the blades were filled with BONDO !!!!

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login