Go Bottom Go Bottom

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Paladin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-02          130323

I have owned my 3010, bought used, for two years now and I am no closer to solving the ROPS problem than I ever was. Right now the original fixed ROPS is OFF the tractor and stored. The simple reason is that I cannot get the tractor in my 200+ year old barn with the ROPS on (I need about 2 more inches). I thought about buying the foldable ROPS but it looked like I would have to break out wrenches to fold and unfold the darn thing every time I wanted to get in the barn.

The barn has a concrete floor - I can't dig it out, so forget that idea.

You are not supposed to shorten a ROPS, so does anybody have any good ideas out there?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-02          130327

You're kidding, right? I can't see a foldable ROPS being useful if you need wrenches to lower it. If that's the case maybe you could buy extra wrenches and attach them to the tractor so they're always available. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-04          130419

Is it possible you mistook a pin for a bolt? My 33hp NH has a folding ROPS. It has two bolts for a pivots and locking pins like the bolts with lynch pins for quick up/down. The pins are slop-fit and used rattle like crazy---until I installed rubber o-rings in between the ROPS halves and on the pins themselves. (I don't use the fold down feature).

Little anecdote: a friend worked for a lawn cutting company. They bought all new zero-turn mowers that have to have ROPS by law. They refer to the ROPS as "air conditioner removers." Turns out at the beginning of the season one operator wasn't paying attention while cutting next to a double-wide home with a window-mounted air conditioner...well, you get the picture. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-04          130427

It is still a option on many tractors for a foldable rops and the 3010 is a design that didn't offer one, most manufacturers only introduced them in their most recent models or within the last five years. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-05          130461

Ken and earthwrks are right, those are pins that you scew in and out with your bare hands when you need to lower the top bar (the top bar rotates on those pivots and stays with the tractor, or you can remove it if you ever drive it into your barn and scratch the hell out of it (I NEVER had that happen to me.. hm..hm.. ). It takes about 2 minutes to change the setup on the foldable ROPS. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-05          130465

Put a little lean-to on the side of your barn and keep your tractor there.

It's a little work to make it, but less than it would be to dig a 6' deep hole to put you in because you have no ROPS on your machine!!!

Safety is no accident!!!

Best of luck. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Paladin

2006-06-06          130516

I am happy to know that people out there care about my safety!

For a variety of reasons, but mostly because it is a 1790 vintage Pennsylvania German bank barn that is built into a hillside, it isn't that easy to put a lean-to alongside.

Long term, I had planned to put up a machinery shed, but that isn't a priority right now.

I plan to give the Kubota dealer a call today and price out the foldable ROPS. I guess I will have to deal with the bolts. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-06          130519

There is no foldable rops available that Kubota recommends for the 3010. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-06          130522

If you don't use the seat belt, of how much value is the ROPS?

A thought on your two inches to clear the barn, how about your rear tires air pressure? It might work to drop it to park the tractor and inflate it when you pull out. Will it take time, yep. Will it be fun, probably not, but an option possibly. Of course don't deflate the tires to where they would break loose from rim. That sure would be no fun. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-06          130533

With the thoughts of a 200 year old barn and someone already bringing up the idea of a lean to off the side you might be able to join the original roof and build a nice little work shop that would be insulated and easy to heat and also store your tractor. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Paladin

2006-06-06          130535

Well, the Kubota dealer here just told me that they were available so I have ordered a folding ROPS at $582. plus 6% to keep the bureaucrats happy. I will see what it looks like when it shows up.

I ran around for years on the ROP-less Massey with finish mower and never felt close to going over, but an FEL sure does introduce some "tippiness" to the Kubota. I really have to concentrate to remember to keep the darn loader as low as possible when I am on hills. I bought the "official" Kubota weight box last year and filled it with bricks. It really came in handy when I was tooling around with full buckets of screenings and fill. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-06          130540

Art and Murf may be right when it comes to utility, but I would advice against screwing up a "1790 vintage Pennsylvania German bank barn" by adding onto it a lean-to or what have you. Just doesn't feel right. Build elsewhere if you need to, seems like you have the space. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Paladin

2006-06-06          130560

Yeah, I have planned out in my mind a machinery shed that would look like the carriage sheds that still stand next to some of the old churches. In those days, church must have been an all day event because people backed their carriages into the shed and then let the horses loose to graze all day.

Anyway, with the artificial stone that is available nowadays (one contractor I know calls it Lick-And-Stick stone) you can make a frame building look 200 years old with no problem. That's probably the route that I will go. There are stone masons around who will do the work with a real stone veneer, but it is awfully expensive. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Paladin

2006-07-05          131711

The new ROPS has arrived - neatly packed the way the Japanese do it in a heavy cardboard crate which is in turn nailed to a custon sized pallet. I also got complete installation instructions and a new set of seat belts with high class retractor mechanisms.

I have spent a fair amount of time doing business in Japan and they have an expression there - "quality on the outside means quality on the inside". This thing was packed well enough to withstand anything! And, it was airfreighted from Japan (don't know why - it was not a rish order).

Next step is to put it on. Kubota recommends removing the rear wheels to gain access. I hope that I can get away without this step. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-05          131714

Watch your fingers R&Ring the rear tires. It's easy to pinch one (or worse!). ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-05          131715

To properly tighten the bolts on the frame it would be a lot easier to have the tires removed. With the two alignment studs that Kubota puts on their tractors they are easy to install. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-05          131718

You know this but the front axle pivots. I knew that also. But I still used a large single jack and to switched rear tires. When the second tire came off, almost lost tractor. ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-05          131721

Always best to have a couple of pieces of wood cut into a wedges to put in on the axle pivot stops! Excellent point Ken! ....

L3010 ROPS

View my Photos
EYEMAN

2006-07-07          131849

I had a similar problim about 4 years ago. My building was built to look like it was built 200 years ago. When I built the building , the tractor I had did not have a ROPS therefore my leanto was sufficant. However after purchasing a different tractor with a fixed ROPS I had a problem. I was lucky to have a dirt floor which I lowered about 3 inches I still needed another 3 inches. After surching unsucessfuly for a welding shop to shorten the ROPS because of liability concerns, my attorney suggested I sign a release form. I found a welding shop that shortened my ROPS and added a collar around the area that was shortened [which makes it stronger than original]. If you are a tall person you my want to take that in to consideration. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login