Go Bottom Go Bottom

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-29          94849

I have R4's on my JD 4115.... A neighbor said that my rear tires looked overinflated and that on a flat surface I should sit on at least 2 to 3 tread bars and not the one tread bar that I am currently on. This he said would provide better traction and longer tread ware. Being a newbie what do you folks think??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-29          94852

If you have no weight on the 3PT he is probably right, look on the sidewall of the tire and stick with the press recommended!

An advantage of the R4's is that they have a very stiff sidewall.

Dean ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-29          94854

The R-4 tire have very a rigid carcus and can be deceiving. Best bet is to go with what the owner's manual recommends for best over all use. Too little pressue can run the risk of slipping the beed or worse under heavy useage. ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
bmeyer

2004-08-29          94856

I just bought a 2210. Checking the inflation on the tires when my FEL loader was installed 2 weeks ago, it appeared the rear tires were very low in pressure. I checked my manual. Pg 27 said to inflate them to 22 lbs but the specs in the back (p.67) say to inflate to 12 lbs. I checked with my dealer and as I expected 12 lbs was right - the book has a misprint.

The tire sidewall's say "max inflation 20 lbs" but at that they look like balloons! Plus the tread (turf tires) loses contact with the ground.

My point is the sidewall pressure listing might be too high as well.

I'm back at 12lbs and everything looks right. ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-29          94862

12-14 lbs. working and 20 max sounds common for turf tires. The max pressures on the tires don't necessarily mean they should be operated at max. If they're factory tires an owner's manual may have a load chart for the tires. Some tire manufacturer's web sites have tire specs. Load charts usually stop well short of a tire's max pressure. People do commonly carry loads greater than the max on a load chart though. ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-29          94877

I had R-4s on my 4115 when I got it last year. I tried to reduce the pressure to get the tread to lay flat and maybe improve the ride. Big mistake.

Bottom line: those tires, on this size tractor will not go flat. I ended up with one tire off its bead and it still had the same profile as when it was fully inflated.

The tire was so stiff that I couldn't re-inflate it myself. I had to remove it and take it to a tire store where special tools were required to get it back on the rim.

What does all this mean? If you run over a nail and the tire loses all its pressure overnight, you probably won't notice until you drive it off the rim.

If I ever go back to R-4's I will have inner tubes installed first to avoid this problem. ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-08-29          94903

Thanks for the insight. The fella who recommended this has years of experience but with very large farm tractors. He may not be familiar with the newer model CUT's but his advice was sincere and honest and we will talk more about this subject.. For now I will not reduce the pressure since I think you are all right on the money. Thanks for everything. ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-29          94912

BMeyer, If you are not running with heavy loads on the back end, you can get by very nicely with 8-10 psi in those tires. ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-06          95700

CUT
StaNDS FOR WHAT? ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-06          95701

CUT means Compact Utility Tractor ....

Over-inflated rear tires

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-06          95707

CUT means Compact Utility Tractor
=============
Thot so.
Just making sure