Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 2210 Snow Cab Project

View my Photos
psimonson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-08          63402

I'm happy to say I finished my snow cab project and finally posted some pictures to show off the result. The mower deck was on when I did the final test fit and took the photos, but it was built with the 210 loader in place.

Hinges and door locks came from online hardware stores and the wiper motor came from a 70's Sims cab that was headed to the scrap yard. Everything else I built from scratch. The body is .040 aluminum sheet with Lexan side and rear windows and a safety glass front windshield. Total cost was less than $250, mainly because my labor is cheap.

Six small bolts tapped into the roll bar hold the rear corner pieces and a couple of small steel brackets bolt to the front of the floor and dash mount to hold the front. Then the main cab and roof all go together with 1/4-turn fasteners so it goes on and off the tractor in <5 minutes.

The last couple of pictures show the cheater link I made to lift the mower deck without leaving the lower 3-point links and spreader bar in place. This makes it easier to mow in tight places because it cuts way down on the rear overhang and it allows me to tow things like a trailer or fertilizer spreader while retaining full use of the mower deck.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-08          63407

Now that's a good looking cab! Very professional job - I'm envious of your fabricating abilities. How will you keep the windows from fogging up? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-08          63408

You do nice work! Please feel free to build one like that for my 4410 whenever the mood strikes you! ;-) ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-08          63412

Nice design and fab job!
Snow is the white stuff, right?? ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-09          63428

Good looking job. I mentioned a do it yourself cab in another discussion. I think this is a new one and another example probably is in the archives. I don't imagine that anything is going to compare to a $250. Well, I suppose I could beat the price by stringing shower curtain around my canopy, but then I'd probably have an uncontrollable urge to sing every time I got on the tractor.

There often is noise around about any modifications such as drilling and welding on ROPS's potentially voiding warranties and insurance so some approaches should be done with due consideration.

View my Photos
psimonson

2003-09-09          63453

Thanks for the comments!

I thought I'd wait and see if window fogging is a problem. I already have a heater core donated by a fried who used to run a radiator shop and a small 12 volt fan on standby. The thing I'm not sure about is the best way to hook it into the cooling system. There is a thermostat bypass in the cooling system schematic but it must be internal. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Tom - I appreciate your point about ROPS strength but it isn't an issue here because all I did is tap 6 1/4-20 holes into the rear face of the hoop. That is far less material than the factory removes in their holes for the warning light bolts and wiring and they drill both the inner and outer walls of the tube. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-09          63455

The heater core needs to attach to both large hoses going to the radiator. Personally I would solder up fittings out of copper or buy a cooling system flush kit that has fittings that are installed in the hoses. I have made a number of fittings like this, and I can describe how you "pull" the T if you have access to a machine shop.

You can control the amount of heat with a ball valve in the heater hose water line on either leg. The core will not get hot unless you open the valve. You may need to cause some backflow pressure in the top hose (hot water going from the engine to the radiator) to force flow through the heater core. If you fabricate the fittings out of copper, a restrictor plate is easy to add. It should have a hole in it about the size of the thermostat opening. This will create some backpressure without drastically cutting down the flow to the radiator. This restrictor plate will be between the radiator and where the heater hose taps into the hot water supply.

Water will flow from the hot water outlet of the engine at a higher pressure generated by the restrictor plate. The water will then flow through the heater core and deliver heat to the cab. The water flow and heat will be regulated by a ball valve in one of the heater hoses. After going through the heater core, the water will flow back into the suction side of the water pump through a second hose fitting.

The internal bypass will only be a small volume of water to keep things flowing during warmup. It allows the system to purge air and so forth and will not affect your heater. ....

View my Photos
trailmaker

2003-09-09          63467

That is way cool. Do you think you could make one for my 2210? :) Oh well, we don't get much snow anymore anyway. Great job! I am impressed. Stay warm.
Trailmaker ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-10          63482

AC: That sure is a good explanation of not only the 'whats' but also the 'why fors'. ....

View my Photos
Minerr

2003-09-14          63811

That is a very nice job, you can also do mine anytime, preferably before the snow flies. My neighbor was going to get a 2210 along with me but wanted a cab, the additional cost of the cab pushed the total cost over what he wanted to pay so he kept his old 420. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-14          66252

What is you labor rate per hour. I want one for my 955. I paid cash, in full when picked up. thanks ....

View my Photos
psimonson

2003-10-16          66365

Thanks, but this was a one-shot DIY project built in place on the tractor. I didn't build a real strong unit for year around use, but concentrated on making it easy to put on/take off and store flat against a wall. I probably spent over 20 hours on it, although I didn't keep track because building it is was a fun project for me. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-16          66367

If you could email me some close up shots of the cab and how you build it, it would be great. The picture could help me when i build one for myself. thanks. ....

View my Photos
psimonson

2003-10-16          66379

Will do but I'll have to take some more detailed pics in a few weeks when I finish up the lawn season and the project I just started, a backhoe attachment. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-17          66406

Nice work! You obviously have some good tooling available and a good handle on how to use it. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-29          67495

While you at the bachhoe project, just build a couple and sell them, its easy to make more than one. I am impressed with the cab(curtis couldn't do anybetter), i buy a hoe sight unseen from you. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login