Go Bottom Go Bottom

Church Suppers

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-14          100312

Just got to thinking last evening about anothet one of the great things we have available, "Church Suppers". We attended another one last evening, Pork loin, REAL mashed potatoes, Real gravy, Real home made pies. They usually start around sweet corn time and continue thru mid November. Around here with everything from chicken, roast beef, pork loin, sweet corn, chicken with home made noodles, mostly traditional midwest foods. I'm sure that every part of the country has their own type of festivals with local food favorites being served. I'm still of 100% German decent, and one things we Krauts learned well is how to eat, I'm kinda short and stout so it's easy to tell I've enjoyed my share of the good food. Have a great day. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Church Suppers

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-14          100330

You should come up to Northern Wisconsin for on of our famous Friday Fish Fry's. The best ones come from the litle rural churches. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-14          100332

AV8R; Yes I almost forgot about the fish frys, almost any Friday night you can find one around here too, but I've been to ones in your neck of the woods also and you're right the further north you go the better the fish get. One of our daughters married into a Norwegan family north of the twin cities, our son inlaw has tried his best to get me to eat Ludefisk, WOW that stuff smells awfull, so far I haven't been able to get enough Miller Lite for the courage to try it yet. Frank. ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-15          100351

Frank, a bunch of the rural churches around here started having church suppers with a little twist.

Since so many people, because of age or other commitments can no longer get out hunting, they started holding "Wild Beast Feasts", people donate a portion of whatever wild game they got. They are usually buffet-style and offer a wide range of choices. Moose, deer, bear, birds of all description and fish often too.

The problem is by the time you a little taste of each thing you have a 30 lb. plate of food, oh well.

It's a real winner for the church since most of the food is donated, it's almost pure profit for them.

Best of luck. ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-15          100356

Gettting fat hasn't ever been so much fun! ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-11-15          100358

AV8R - I so miss those Friday fish frys. They don't have then in Iowa. I grew up in the Milwaukee area and I try to catch a Friday fish fry whenever I'm in town. Man I miss those... I'm salivating already...

Ya gotta watch out for them church suppers. They'll fill you up fast. Unfortunately, we only have them during Lent. But they are good eatin'. ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-11-16          100400

Our church has an interesting way to put on a fish fry. We first take our families to an area trout pond and each family catches as much as they're willing to pay for. For the money, the fish are cleaned and given to the church. Then the following weekend the church puts on the trout feed and we get to pay again for the meal (as well a those who didn't fish).

It's a good idea because you get a good activity with your family and the church makes a fair amount of money.
Dave ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-11-16          100404

My wife and I along with two other couples attended a Friday night Church supper on Nov 5. For $10 each you could eat all of the country ham, turkey, dressing(stuffing), mashed potatoes, corn pudding, green beans, rolls, salads, and other items you could hold. This also included homemade desserts. Excellent food. Some of the best cooks in the world are found in Churches. ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-17          100431

Best deal we've hit here is the legion which does a Veterns Day dinner. Was this Saturday nite past, Prime rib baked potatos and squash and cake for desert, $5.00 a plate and an hour of drinks before! Not that there are not plenty of church suppers or fish frys here. High taxes, cheap food! I love NY! ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
kubotachick

2004-11-18          100512

and where is all this stuff around here i ask..the only place to get a decent fish fry around here is the bar...and you know...the last person you want to get preached to by is a drunk in the bar, fish in one hand budweiser in the other ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-11-19          100541

Ya I am deprived of a fish fry! I dont have them around here either :( sounds like i'm missing out big time! ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-19          100543

grasgod; Wowzer are you being deprived, Friday night fish frys and church suppers are kind of the north eastern Iowa winter sport. Guess that's why we never wander far from home, we're all just too fat to walk around anymore. Frank. ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-19          100551

LOL!! How true it is! (not just Iowa tho...) ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-12-09          101932

My company has an annual fish fry at our clubhouse in July. Excellent fish, slaw, baked beans, and hush puppies, and its free. Up until a few years ago we also had kegs of beer. Now you bring your own or go with soft drinks. ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-12-09          101934

Sounds Greeeeaaaatttt! ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-09          101960

I forgot the name of the restaurant west of Milwaukee that I ate at over Thanksgiving. Incredible fish fry. The cod pieces were at least 1.5 to 2 inches thick. Crispy batter that wasn't soaked in oil. I'm droolig just thinking about it... Oh!!

Maybe I should go back to Alaska for more Halibut. That was a great summer when I brought back over 50 lbs of it. Yum! ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-09          101996

50 pounds? You only caught one fish? ....

Church Suppers

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-12-10          102053

Naw, my big fish was 52 lbs. I should scan the photo and put it up. My take of all the fish was 52 lbs of cleaned and packaged fish. I only had a top-mount freezer (above the fridge). So I was lacking major space to store the fish. The freezer was jam-packed and I had to give some away.

I know the Halibut grow much bigger, but I was in about 180 feet of water and the 52 pounder decided he wanted to go back down after I had horsed him up most of the way. So it took awhile. I was wore out after getting it in the boat. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login