Go Bottom Go Bottom

165d sat for 2 years - battery dead Charged and wont start

View my Photos
thegogetter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2016-03-29          194836

Could this be a starter issue? I charged the battery on 10amp/12volt for approx. 24hrs and now have it trickle charging at 2/12. The oil and ignition light turn on, but the starter wont turn. The starter was rebuilt 4 years ago so I don't think thats it, but I have no idea. Should I just keep charging it thinking it doesn't have enough juice to turn the starter yet? Or buy a new battery perhaps? I'm lost honestly.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-29          194838

You may have damaged the battery by overcharging.

Unless you've checked the starting circuit for a bad connection I'd suggest a simple test.

Buy a (not sure of the proper name) remote starter at an auto-supply store. It's a cig-pack-size box with a button on it and two long wires coming out of it. About $10.

One wire goes to the pos terminal of a good battery, the tractor's or a car's. Other goes to the starting terminal on the front face of the starter. If there are two large terminals and one small one, it's the small one.

Sit in the seat, neutral, clutch down. Someone presses the button. Nothing means starter fault. Cranking means bad connection somewhere, whether broken wire, bad ground, batt terminals, or clutch-pedal safety cutoff. ....

View my Photos
bmaverick

2016-03-29          194839

When a tractor or vehicle sits for a long period of time, starters that have solenoids tend to stick. Take a wooden or soft plastic screw driver handle to tap around the solenoid or a not so destructive whack.

Another method is to put the tractor in neutral, engage the starter while something pushes the tractor back and forth in a rocking motion.

Solenoid starters are becoming a thing of the past. Offset Gear Reduction is the way to go to avoid this problem. ....

View my Photos
Imfedup

2016-03-29          194843

Replace the battery before worrying about the starter. A battery left unused for two years is only a core. It will never take a charge and be of any use. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2016-03-30          194858

Nothing wrong with any of these suggestions but have my own also with a couple of questions:
When you hit the key what happens to those indicator lights? Better yet turn on the head lights and what happens to them? they do not change at all the starter is not getting power to it. In that case look for bad solenoid or bad connection or defective relay.
Now if the lights go out or dim greatly then consider bad battery (try jumping to prove this), or bad batter cable connections remove battery cables on both ends and clean or worst bad starter. Do not miss the starter could be stuck but I doubt that. If you think the starter is stuck put track in gear and just rock it with it turned of. You are not trying to really roll the wheels but cause the motor to turn over not even a full turn.
Quick question have you check the air intake for pest and replace the fuel filters and put in fresh fuel? If not you ought to. ....

View my Photos
thegogetter

2016-03-31          194860

Thanks guys, I will try all the above this weekend. Great suggestions!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login