Go Bottom Go Bottom

Why doesn t cottonwood burn

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-04          166144

I have some cottonwood that has been stored in a shed and been dry for 15 years. The problem is it just won't burn--it smolders.

Last night I used some new hardwood floor scraps to start a fire in the fireplace. The oak fully burned while the cottonwood smoldered. The cottonwood log was about 14" long by 12" diameter.

I get up this morning and just a whisp of smoke is coming off the log which is still 3/4 the size.

I have plenty of fresh air, and the stove pipe is clean. And like I said the oak burns fine.

What's up wit dat?

Maybe cottonwood is related to asbestos? LOL

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
MonsterMinds
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-10-04          166146

I have never burned Cottonwood but from what I have read its good used as kindling, Split it up like you would ceder.
As for fire wood its low heat burning is pretty much useless. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-04          166147

Does it float?

It sounds like it burns a little better than the scrap ipe deck wood I tried to burn. It laid in a fire for three days and when it was pulled out it looked like new. But then that's why it was used on the deck since we live in a fire area.

Ipe won't float, it sinks like a rock. Very dense wood. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-10-04          166151

Don't think it floats--pretty sense--the wood, not me (well, that's debatable too LOL)

It gets its name from the seeds it drops in the spring. The white, fluffy, cottony-soft seeds become so profuse they cover the ground like snow. They're weed tree.

If I'm not mistaken I think I have seen this wood used as lath in homes when plaster was applied over wooded lath. It stays flexible. ....

View my Photos
MonsterMinds
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-10-04          166154

I hope this isn't against the rules but they have some great info here

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=57406 ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-05          166169

Jeff, I asked a friend who lives south of you a ways if he's ever had any luck with Cottonwood as firewood, he burns a lot of wood every year to heat his house, shop, and domestic hot water using an outdoor wood-fired boiler and several airtight wood stoves.

His reply was the only way Cottonwood will keep you warm is from the effort expended to cut it, split it, and hump it around from forest to fireplace.

He cuts a lot of it in his sawmill operation but all of it goes to a local place as pallet and shipping crate material. He claims it's pretty much useless for anything else.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login