Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chipper blade sharpening frequency

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-18          86320

Last time I used my chipper it seemed that the chips were a bit larger and contained more "strands" than before. This may have been due to the increased amount of deadwood in my last session, but to be sure I examined the reversable blades. The edge in use still felt every bit as sharp as the unused edge. I have about 15 hours on these blades so far, chipping only soft douglas fir. I'm curious - for those of you who use chippers a lot, how many hours on average do you use the blades between sharpenings?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-18          86323

If the wood is clean and not too dry, 500 - 750 hours.

I send them to a fellow who makes the cutter blades for a custom wood moulding shop near me, he sharpens them using a machine for sharpening planes, chisels, and router bits. The blades stay a lot sharper, a lot longer when he does them. His machine grinds them under a stream of water to keep them from heating up.

As an aside, he also told me he could supply with replacement blades for a good price. He wasn't kidding, his price was about a third of the cost for the OEM replacements.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-19          86356

Thanks, Murf! That's good information. Since all the stuff we chip is freshly cut (with some deadwood) it sounds like sharpening them at the start of each season should work just fine. ....

View my Photos
chipperman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-21          86552

kwschumm
Time between sharpening varies greatly. It all depands on what you put threw it. As for 500-750 hours between sharpening. I have never seen that. 50-75 hours would be doing very good. Most home owners will not put 500 hrs on their chipper in there life time. Good Luck and
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-21          86565

Thanks, Chipperman. I'm chipping mostly freshly cut douglas fir trees, and have been putting 10-12 hours/week on the chipper. I'll probably put ~200 hours on the chipper each year (lots of tree thinning to do on 15 acres). A big part of this is just getting familiar with the chipper and how it behaves with sharp vs. dull blades. I've never used a chipper before this one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login