Go Bottom Go Bottom

How important is the shredder

View my Photos
larryv
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-22          69333

Folks,
I am very close to making a purchase. I just don't know how important the shredder is. It seems like the larger units Salsco 824, Woods 8000 series, Bearcat etc. don't have the shredder, but many have suggested that the shredder actually gets a lot of work. I don't plan on putting leaves through it, but I have a lot of scrub brush (10 acres) that I want to remove. Do these models without a shredder work well on the smaller brush?

Do you find that having a blower is useful?
Thanks,
Larry

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-22          69341

Kwschumm has ordered a Jinma chipper. Ken has done a lot of research on chippers and the like and I am sure he would be more than happy to share his findings with you. Might save you a few bucks too. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-22          69349

Since I've never actually used a chipper or shredder I don't know how useful the shredder is. My biggest concern was with chipping fir trees and in my case everything should go through the chipper just fine. We don't have many leaves to deal with.

The chinese Jinma 3ph chipper I ordered is less than half the price of a comparable bearcat/valby/salsco chipper. It should arrive sometime in the next few weeks so I haven't used it yet. It has 6" capacity and a belt-driven feed. I've surveyed a half dozen users on the chinese tractor board and they all think it's a great unit. Replacement part availability was a concern, but all the belts, pulleys, and bearings are off-the-shelf items and blades are readily available. It is a heavy unit at 900 lbs shipping weight. The biggest problem with them seems to be that you have to be sure the belts stay adjusted properly or they will burn up. Replacement belts are available at any auto parts store. I can't recommend it yet since I haven't used it but I'll post a report when I've used it awhile. ....

View my Photos
larryv

2003-11-22          69353

thanks for the thoughts. I have the ability to get a new Wallenstein for $2300 delivered or a Woods 5000 for $2200. The wallenstein has no shredder but is a heavy 850 lb unit. Just want to know if I will need the shredder. Most of the larger units do not have a shredder.
Larry ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-22          69355

I looked at the Woods chipper but didn't consider it since it doesn't have a blower. Never heard of a Wallenstein, do you have a link to it?

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-22          69356

Never mind, I found the Wallenstein chipper. It looks like a good unit, but it doesn't mention having a feed roller to pull material in. Anyway, sorry that I can't answer your shredder question. ....

View my Photos
nhrockcrusher

2003-11-22          69374

I own a bearcat chipper shredder. Model 70554 I think. I use the shredder about 40 % of the time. Today the shredder is all that I used. Did a bunch of leaves and old hay. If you're going to spend the money for one of these machines buy as much as you can afford.
Mine uses two belts and I haven't had a bit of trouble with them. I have fed big stuff into it too. Think the chipper blades will wear out before the belts. I loosen the belts during the winter. ....

View my Photos
nhrockcrusher

2003-11-22          69375

I have a Bearcat model 70544 and put quite a bit of stuff through the shredder. Anything 1 inch and smaller. It doesn't cut it as smooth as the chipper but it is very quick. Works great on the compost pile. ....

View my Photos
elbigo

2004-03-10          79446

Can you tell us where you are getting the Wallenstein for that price?
I am having trouble finding seller. Its seems a good deal.
Tks ....

View my Photos
lumber

2004-03-13          79802

larryv, It may depend on what you want to do. I had a Bearcat 70554 chipper/shredder and now have a jinma chipper. In my opinion, power feed and blower are important, and I don't miss the shredder at all. I found the previous unit very frustrating and enjoy the current one. Consistent with the other input, I did use shredder more than chipper with Bearcat, but in my case that was in large part because feed was easier into shredder than into chipper. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login