Go Bottom Go Bottom

Oops overinflated rear water filled tires

View my Photos
farmerger
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-19          77331

How do I get the extra air out without the pressure in the tire pushing out the water ballast instead?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JDF415

2004-02-19          77332

Drive tractor till the valve stem is on top. The calcium level should be below the valve stem. If not carefully drive the tractor on the side of an incline, again with the valve stem in the highest postiion. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-19          77333

Exactly as JD415 posted. I had to do the same thing with my tires as the dealer over inflated them. Turn the tire so the valve stem was as the highest point did not work so I drove the tractor on the steepest slope I dared and postioned the valve stem at 12 o'clock and let the air out. Even then a little ballast fluid came out. ....

View my Photos
JParker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-19          77337

Just a thought. Since the instructions say not to fill above the valve stem, why is it a problem if you lose the fluid that is filling the tire above that point? Maybe you should let that extra fluid out and then clean up the rim to avoid rust and corrosion problems. I think my owners manual has a picture in it about maximum rear tire fill levels, and I thought it was with the stem slightly below 12:00. If you don't have enough air in the tire, the ride will be rough when you hit rocks, holes... since there isn't much air to compress and cushion the impact.

- JParker ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-19          77339

That's what my dealer told me. Rotate the tire until the stem is at 12:00, then let the air out. If the fluid comes out it's no problem, the tire is overfilled - just let the fluid out until the air starts coming. If you have calcium in the tires you definitely need to wash things down well afterward to prevent corrosion. ....

View my Photos
farmerger

2004-02-19          77340

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm new to the tractor thing, so bear wtih me. I'm starting to think that there is simply too much water in my tires, so, unless someone says differently I will just keep draining, with the tire jacked up and the valve at the top, until I get air. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-02-19          77341

Yes, Definitely with the tire jacked up to take off the weight. Glad you said that since I forgot to.

- JP ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-19          77342

On my 4310 (and probably nearly all tractors) it's real easy to rotate the rear tires by hand when the rear end is raised with a floor jack. On a gear machine you need it out of gear. I don't lift it high enough to worry about jackstands - just a half inch or so until the tire is completely unloaded. Chock the front wheels to be safe. It sure beats trying to drive around until the valve stem is at 12:00. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login