Go Bottom Go Bottom

HP needed for rotary cutter

View my Photos
sprobst
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-13          68658

I was considering 2 tractors (New Holland 33D and JD 4310). Both have a rated PTO HP of around 27HP. I need to power a medium duty 5 foot rotary cutter (probably a Rhino TW60) capable of handling 2 inch brush. Most rotary cutters I've seen that are that size recommend 28-30HP. Budget is a concern. In your experience, are these two tractors capable of running a medium duty 5 foot bushhog?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-13          68662

Will they run a 5' bush hog? Yes.

Will they cut 2" brush with it? Not very well, or very quickly.

If budget is a concern but you absolutely HAVE to do this task I would suggest you explore buying a slightly larger USED tractor. Then you will have the bigger machine without the bigger price tag.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-13          68665

I suppose it depends on what the 2" material is that you want to cut. My 4310 with MX5 medium duty rotary cutter does a superb job on 2" Scotch Broom, and that's pretty tough stuff. You can't race over it going 10 mph, but it chops it up pretty well. I'm very impressed with the MX5. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-14          68705

Cutters that are big for a tractor are harder on the PTO drive no matter what is cut, but tractors are made to be used and repair has to be factored into the price of owning one. In marginal HP situations reducing ground speed likely would manage any power problems and the cutter likely would be OK if the weight can be managed by the 3ph.

Another way of looking at it is that if the work is all on your own property 2" material probably has to be cut only once. After that loads and wear and tear on the tractor should be less. Alternatively the first cut could be contracted out and a lighter cutter could be bought for the tractor, which would produce less wear and tear in the long run. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-14          68707

They will handle it, of coarse the variable speed of a hydro will help ease into that two inch tree so the horsepower is used up from improper gearing. Those trees if it is your property will only be two inch diameter the first time you cut them unless you wait a few years to do it again. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login