Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4110 or a New Holland TC24D

View my Photos
Chico
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-24          45338

I need some help picking out one of the above tractors. I have 3 achrs. and would like to outfit them with a bucket. I like the eronomics of the Dear but the looks and ease of working on the New Holland. I have noticed that I can get a much better deal on the Dear about 3K less then the New Holland, why is this? They seem very similar? Thanks for the help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-25          45353

I'd make sure that both tractors have the same basic features such as 4wd, HST and mid-pto. I don't put a lot of stock in a few HP or weight one way or the other. To me, it's more important how a tractor sits and if my hands and feet go naturally to the controls.

I'd keep in mind that operating a tractor for many operations is a little like cotton-picking. The same set of manual motions is repeated thousands of times. Tractor operating is much more active than auto driving so the layout of controls is important. Different layouts work for some people and not for others, so it's good that a tractor sits well. I also place more importance on liking and having confidence in my dealer than in different tractor specs. A particular dealer may be the dealer-maker for me rather than something about a tractor itself. Well, I guess I view purchase price differences as things spread out over some decades that I'd keep a tractor, so I'd just get the one I really really liked. $3000 spread over decades isn't much.

You might indicate more detail about the intended uses of a tractor. For example, one used primarily for finish mowing would have different desirable features than one used for plowing. Somebody might be able to make specific comparisons of the two tractors based on its intended primary use.

View my Photos
GK

2002-11-25          45354

The JD 4110 is a 20 hp tractor, while the NH TC24D is a 24 hp, this may explain the price differential. A comparable model to the 4110 in the NH line would be the TC21D, which has 21 hp. Have you driven both? I agree the JD has better ergonimics, which in my opinion, translates to ease of working. What are your intended uses? Any implements in addition to the front-end loader? Maybe choose the correct size (horsepower), then consider all of your options within that class. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-25          45359

To add on the pile..... a 20/21 horse tractor may limit you to a 48 inch brushhog, for example, where the 24 horse will turn a 60 inch cutter.
Or maybe it's a bigger snowblower you are looking at, whatever.
The tractor with the most HP won't necessarily pull a bigger load, but it will run bigger, wider implements.

View my Photos
IRTEXN

2002-11-25          45378

Chico,
I have a 4110 on my 4+ acres with FEL and 413 brushhog. It has handled everything I have asked so far. I agree with the other responders that a fair comparison would be with the TC21. Spend some time at both dealerships getting on and off the tractors ( 'cause that's what you are gonna do in real life) and operating the controls. The one that "fits" you best is your best bet. Finally, make sure you are comfortable with your dealer and the support they offer. Good luck with your choice, and let us know. ....

View my Photos
chico

2002-11-25          45385

Thanks for your help guys, I went and sat on the TC-24 today, I love it but I have a size 14 shoe and it just dosent fit the Hydro controls like the two seporate peddals offered on the Deere. The Dealer told me there was a 800.00 dollor differnece between the TC-21 and the 24 so thats why I was looking at the 24. I'm still very undecited. The New holland has plastic fenders on the rear and I intend to own this thing for a while and I'm afraid of braking them over time. The Deere's Rear axel seams to be a off set model, While the New Holland seams to have a straight axel, looks visualy stronger? I'm no tractor buff, but the Deere looks like it's built weaker then the New Holland? I am going back tommorow to drive the Deere and I guess thats when I will decide on my choice. The New Holland is what I want but with all the pedals and hydro controls on the one side it seams like a pain to drive? ....

View my Photos
Gunfighter

2002-11-25          45391

> The Deere's Rear axel seams to be a off set model, While the New
> Holland seams to have a straight axel.

I'm not positive we're taking about the same thing but believe the off set your referring to is a final reduction gear. This takes a lot of the load off the transmission an differential. And on the NH the final gear reduction is taken care of by the differential... ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-26          45403

I'm usually kind of anti-specs, which I as view as mostly advertising that often serve to confuse rather than make purchase decisions easier. However, the 3ph specs might be compared to get an idea of the loads the axles are designed for.

However, comparisons aren't easy because the ratings are affected by factors other than the simple ability to lift weight and sustain shock loads while operating. Wheel-base, weight distribution and manufacture's sense of liability are some other factors. The specs also are usually defined as 'weight centered 2' behind the lower link pins. The definition isn't too helpful if considering a big rotary cutter where the weight is centered further than 2' behind the pins. However, if a big rotary cutter or box blade in the future it might be good to know if the tractor can manage them at all or only with a lot of front ballast. I guess specs are a place to start figuring, although I'd ask my dealer first.

I really don't think there's a lot to choose between from between axles on any tractor. They all have to be pretty rugged since mostly what tractors do is carry weigh and draft. However, tractors that are used outside their specific designed uses may be surprisingly fragile. Backhoes are really outside the realm of designed use and it might be good to know if a manufacturer's warranty extends to backhoe use. Cases also have been broken using a box scraper rear cutter as a dozer. Tractors are designed to pull rather than push.

Sometimes things outside the design area can be surprisingly fragile. An axle housing was cracked by tightening ROPS mounts without torque specs or tightening sequence. Wheel studs break on some tractors without much load at all. Despite the stories, I don't think any manufacturer is represented here more than others and they all make good machines.

I suppose I end up being sort of like specs--more confusing than helpful. But it's actually simple. Just move around and try this and that. Go through specs more from the standpoint of learning about tractors than deciding about one. Eventually it happens. It's the 'AHH THIS IS THE ONE' experience.

View my Photos
IRTEXN

2002-11-27          45475

Re: AHH THIS IS THE ONE...

Well said Tom!! ....

View my Photos
Jim H

2002-11-28          45491

This bbs, did not help me decide on JD or not. I was a JD fan. Pay attention to this TomG person. He made a difference on the fine-tuning after the purchase. I can tell you about the JD 4110 I have had for 3 months. WOW! I have a 61" material bucket, 60" MMM, 54" Ft Plow, Balast box. Now here’s the pitch. No limits within my personal use. Cut 5 oak trees down. Over flowed the bucket, lifting logs into an Isuzu dump truck. No problem. Actually dug out undisturbed dirt for a green house 20 x 30 area with an 18-inch rise. No problem. Filled the bucket w/dirt. No problem. Yard waste no limit. The funny part, No ballast box. I have not used it yet. Came with the FEL. (Mostly level travel area. as a safety margin I will for unleveled surface.) Grass cutting No problem. I am totally amazed as to the complete operation and performance with the tractor. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-28          45495

Jim: Thanks for the kind words. Most of the time I think I write too much or pursue obscure subjects. Guess it helps occasionally. I know it helps me 'casue every time I think through something I end up learning a thing or two and usually from somebody here with more experience than I have.

I'm guessing that your tractor has loaded tires or you likely would have noticed a problem carrying heavy loads in the bucket. It is good to develop a sense of when a tractor's ballast is wrong. My sense usually is whether the steering feels excessively heavy or light. When my tractor was delivered I could hardly wait for the dealer and trucker to leave so I could run and phone for a load of gravel for the drive. So there I was winging buckets of gravel down a hill to widen the drive at the highway etc, which I did complete without incident.

Now I recognize that between the gravel in the bucket and the unloaded tires, the tractor had a really light tail. A little more speed or a more bumpy drive and I would have been on my nose or slid onto the highway. Heavy front ends unload the rear tires and kill traction. Tractors slid down hills more easily and don't stop so well. Lifting pallets of building material with my 3ph forklift gives me the opposite problem. There little steering and I have to put weight in the bucket. Anyway, proper ballasting is a thing that changes with what the tractor is doing. My usual warning that something's not quite right is the steering.

View my Photos
JIM H

2002-12-01          45574

Yes, I also had to test the limits. All the promises the dealer made had to be verified. I have wheel weights only. If at an angle with a load in the bucket, steering is a give away your heavy. I was excited that I did not have to install the balast box just for the routine yard work. (close quaters around the wifes roses).If I was moving loads on long distance or unlevel surfaces I too would have added the balast box. I had to know what the new tractor would do or not do. So far it preformed without faults. Totally happy with the choice. I am glad I went for the 4110 instead of the 4010. I think the bigger Hydro/sys, makes a difference. Your knowledge and this board did steer me in that direction. Thanks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login