Stepping Up From Garden Tractor: Size Tractor Needed  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review Stepping Up From Garden Tractor: Size Tractor Needed -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-13-2001, 14:06 Post: 33160
Gator

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Stepping Up From Garden Tractor

If I buy a Compact Tractor like a Kubota B7500 or 2710 will I experince a "HUGE" difference in performance of the snow blower versus the Wheelhorse Garden tractor 42" snowblower I have now?

Will I be able to mow the grass and do a good finish job?? Compared to the garden tractor with its 23" tall tires and only 600lbs??

I am using a Wheelhorse Classic Garden Tractor which I have used over the years on the different house I have owned 2 acres, 1/2 acre and now 5 acres with a 1000 foot drive.

Now that I have 5 acres, 2.5 of which is grass I feel the Wheel Horse is just too small. Yet when I go to a dealer and see the machines I chicken out, too much money, seems awful big........

Any advice from those that have STEPPED Up and been happy welcome!!!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-13-2001, 15:47 Post: 33171
David Waite

Filter by User

A few years back I stepped up from a sears 10hp to a massey 1225 it was on the lot versus ordering a 1215 and waiting. In my case it is larger than I really needed, I thought. Since I started using it I have found more and more jobs for it. Hopefully it will last threw my later years. In your case if the Troy is still running and doing the job keep it and start putting money away for a new one when the troy gives up the ghost as my sears did. You will have enough down so the price of the Kuboto wont seem so bad. A bigger tractor will do the drive faster than the little troy, and if the Kuboto has a bigger mowing deck cutting time will be less also. upkeep on a bigger tractor is more and toys are more expensive but are not lost by changing tractors down the line as some small garden tractor attachments are.

11-13-2001, 16:28 Post: 33175
Gator

Filter by User

Thanks David,

I have been pondering this for a while and since I thought it was somewhat extravagant I have saved up the money for it already in would you believe a separate stash.

My Wheelhorse is about twenty years old now (1983), while still in good shape I could say I've gotten the best of it.

So it really boils down to can I accomplish:
1)Will a B7500 equivalent Compact Tractor allow me to plow the 1000 foot drive in "ONE Pass AFTER the Storm" instead of the every 3" to 6" way I tackle it now "During the Storm" in multiple passes. This would be a big win for me.

2)I need to be able to finish mow the two and half acres which has no trees to make the tractor a "regular use" machine.

3) I will use the loader to satisfy my wifes mulch and dirt garden needs.

Can It can deliver on these objectives????

11-13-2001, 20:15 Post: 33184
David Waite

Filter by User

Mine is 23 horse and I use a 5ft back blade in light fluffy snow the tractor does not have a problem but the snow banks up over the top of the blade. In heavy snow it pushes large sections of snow which peel off both side of the blades sides. So if you have a loader same thing I would expect that you have to keep moving it to the sides the most snow I had the past couple of years is about 15 inches and I could push it in one diveway about 60 ft but I had to make 5 passes to push the peel off on a 14ft wide drive. Mine has turf tires and I use chains on the front . I have a 5ft 3pth finish mower to mow my yard with a lot of trees the rear mower lets me back in under the trees to get close and get the corners. this saves me running the push mower or weed wacker to finish. On a big snow on your drive I would opt for a blower that way you could get one pass down and one back and be done. Sorry I dont know what a 2710 or 7500 size is but you can compare mine 1500 lb 23 horse 5ft blade 5ft mower 50inch tiller and I would not give it up just add to it, thinking of a FEL as I have moved a lot of dirt with the blade and it would be easier to transport dirt further with a FEL.

11-13-2001, 20:53 Post: 33185
Gator

Filter by User

David,

B7500 is about 1400 lbs / 21 hp and the B2710 is about 1800 lbs / 27 hp. for just the tractor without implements. That's very helpful info, my drive is paved and is about 14 feet wide plus I have a parking area tha is about 45 by 80 which I sometimes can't push or can't snowblow with my single stage blower. I had been tempted by the rear blade because it gets windy here and I ususally have to blow in only one direction, so I either blow with it ot become a snow man. But the snowblower is great because I get no snow banks which hold the melt an cause huge sections of ice. The snowblower eliminates that icing problem.

Since I only have beds and one tree on the 2.5 acres of grass I was thinking 3pH mower until I realized I just have one garage bay to store this stuff in, then I started thinking the belly mower would be better and also probably get me close to the flower beds contours without having to trim. Now with the WheelHorse I only trim once a month it gets so close.

Decisions ........!

11-14-2001, 06:13 Post: 33190
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I remember agonizing about costs. Actually, I suppose it was my wife who was doing the agonizing since she had to listen to most of it. Finally she said something like ’If you want it, you want it and it don't have to be justified--the money is there.' As is often the case, it was pretty good advice from my wife. I think I was mostly trying to figure how a tractor would fit into things and money was not the thing in itself. Money was just a common term to compare my 'more of this means less of that' thinking. Anyway, I'm not sure anybody except farmers can ever adequately cost-justify their tractors. For the rest of us, there's a big recreational component and perhaps other reasons too. Over the long haul, I'd probably like using my tractor better than taking vacations, it that was a choice. For these reasons, an 'I want the tractor' and I'm willing to give up this or that to get it should be a pretty good reason. Never the less, a tractor is a pretty expensive thing, and it should fit in with things well enough to be kept pretty busy or a person may continue to think of it as 'too expensive.'

In terms of keeping a tractor busy, the 3ph and a loader are good ways. Relatively inexpensive 3ph implements are available that can adapt a tractor to almost any imaginable equipment job. Tractors do sort of fill up lives because you can be walking through the yard and think: 'Gee it would nice to have that.' With a tractor, these inspirations are virtually within reach and you just do them. Considering how the time may otherwise be spent, the price of a tractor might be considered a bargain. Of course, you do end up building a shed--or a bigger one.

Anyway, all sorts of things can be said about tractor size and power. I sort of used up my length here spinning philosophy. However, I think it's an important part of owning a tractor. Unless having a tractor means not eating or being warm, owning one is less about money than it is about making choices in how you spend your time--except for farmers of course who choose among different choices.

11-14-2001, 08:47 Post: 33195
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I really like to sell the BX series tracotors for under 5 acres. It does all that many of the bigger tractors do. The cut on a kubota deck is one of the best. The loader and the attachments are easy to install and remove and they are very versatile tractors that are not overwhelming to operate.

11-14-2001, 09:03 Post: 33197
Gator

Filter by User

Art,

I have 5 acres and a long 1000 foot paved drive. I have looked at the BX, and can say that it could easily replace my Garden Tractor as it is comparable in size and ground clearance.

The fact that my lawn area is an unobstructed 2.5 acres out of the 5 has led me to believe that I could push the size up to the B7500 or B2710, would I be that unhappy with the cut and manueurability of the larger B's vs the bx in this situation???

But that's just it, I wanted something bigger than my Garden Tractor as I fell it is half the size I need.

The Tires on the Bx are about the same as my Wheelhorse and experience tells me that they are too small. Of course the BX is 4wd and that certainly must make a big difference.

Art is there any difference in the "ease of attaching" implements like like front snowblower or belly mower on the BX versus the B7500???

11-15-2001, 07:39 Post: 33205
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Just a couple comments about size: When I bought my tractor, I needed to trench for an underground electrical service and couldn't get any contractor to come to the country so I had to do it myself. The trenching requirement sort of defined the size of tractor I needed. We have about 2 acres total of finish mowing but there are quite a few trees and bushes. I don't have a mower for the tractor, because I realized it would be faster to keep using a riding mower. Still, I wouldn't want a smaller tractor because mine is the right size for the rest of my work. Very small tractors start getting into some absolute limitations--they can't be used to trench deep enough, can't lift a rock or break a root. A small tractor does things like mowing, blowing grading, tilling etc. same as a big tractor, they just take longer. However, small tractors do have absolute limitations. By the same token, big ones just can't go some places. An unobstructed 2-acres of finish mowing sounds like a good place for a sizable tractor.

In terms of snow blowing, I think that there may be some difficulty clearing a 45' wide area with a blower, even assuming that the sides are unobstructed and removal can be started from the centre and blown toward each side. I don't think my 5’ blower driven by 24 pto hp would always throw it at least 22.5' (distance depends on the type of snow). I'm reasonable certain that sometimes I'd end up blowing some snow that already had been blown. Not a big problem for me most of the time, but with less power, I'd have to take it in several passes or reduce ground speed a lot.

If I was planning to blow a 45' wide area and considering buying a tractor of modest hp, I think I'd research blowers carefully. The size and rpm of the blower fan has a lot to do with the distance it throws, and also the hp required. The blower width also affects the required h. It may work better to get a high rpm fan blower, even if that means going for a smaller blower to get a small tractor within the recommended hp range for the blower. Of course, this is another case for a bigger tractor.

11-17-2001, 07:18 Post: 33246
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Gator, I can't help you with your snowblower questions. But I can give you my opinion on "stepping up". I went from an MTD 42" riding mower used on 4 fairly flat, clear acres to a TC29, which is New Hollands 25 PTO hp, 2500 lb. tractor. I initially wanted a TC21, but when I compared them side-by-side, I didn't much care for the 21 (it is about 1500 lbs.) I went with the 29 instead of the 25 to get a live PTO with the standard transmission. Anyway, I'm really glad I got the bigger tractor. We bought a house/land with about 3 acres of cleared yard, and about 3 more acres of rocks and trees. I've done work with the 29 that the smaller tractor just wouldn't do; it will push an unbelievably large pile of brush and push/lift/move very big rocks. As for finish mowing quality, I'd say it is close to as good with a 3 point hitch finish mower as my Lowes mower. The wider mower just skips over more dips than the lawn mower.
Good luck,
Bill

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Thread 33160 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | BillMullens 1 | cutter 1 | David Waite 3 | Depdog 1 | Don M 3 | Gator 7 | lbrown59 1 | Steve 1 | TomG 4 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
cowrider

Belarus - Belarus 250as blowby
Belarus 250as blowby

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ How big a tractor to farm 20 acres
+ What is needed to bushhog 6 acres
+ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23
+ Rotary cutter hp
+ tractor hours
+ What size tractor do I need Help
+ JD 790 vs Kubota L2500
+ Best compact landscaping rig
+ Please help 60acres to bushhog